Your Other Fav. Band?

cheech44

U2

Coldplay

Muse

1184 guests, 44 members 2 anonymous members

I still can't believe this. Wow!!!!! What up?????

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order:

Rush

Dream Theater

Porcupine Tree (Blackfield and Steven Wilson solo )

Opeth

Queensryche (83-03)

Pink Floyd

Iron Maiden (only with Bruce)

Queen

The Beatles (solo Lennon and Harrison)

Tool

Led Zeppelin

Judas Priest

Black Sabbath ( Ozzy and Dio)

Edited by KW84

Wow, start a thread and come back a few days later and bam. Some great reading - the diversity of everybody's tastes is quite a kick.

Yeah, so RUSH and the Grateful Dead are 1 and 1A for me, but I listen to an absolute ton of different stuff, mainly confined to Rock, Jazz, & Funk/Soul. I don't mind hip-hop, but hold the opinion that nothing important has happened after the first wu-tang album. I don't listen to classical music and I can't stand new country. I appreciate classic metal, and own some Sabbath and Maiden, but my tastes don't run deep with metal.

Other bands/artists I love (as they come to mind):

Zeppelin

Beatles

Stones

Clash

Floyd

Genesis

Radiohead

Wilco

My Morning Jacket

Phish

Zappa

Return to Forever

Weather Report

Miles Davis (post-In A Silent Way)

Coltrane

Herbie Hancock (electric 70s stuff)

James Brown

Sly

Parliament

Stevie Wonder

Marvin Gaye

Bob Dylan

Ryan Adams

Santana

Hendrix

The Temptations

Triumph

April Wine

Max Webster

Crimson

White Stripes

Black Keys

I could go on and on and on - music's a wonderful obsession.

UFO!!

Followed by thin lizzy and budgie 1022.gif

QUOTE (cheech44 @ Sep 23 2011, 11:37 PM)
Mine is the Grateful Dead. I won't bother to try and defend it - it'd take too long, but a friend said to me, "you basically like the guys that are the absolute best on their instruments (i.e. RUSH), and the guys that are the absolute worst."

I disagree, but I see what he was saying.

Anyway, I thought'd make an interesting thread to see if others have such disparate tastes ...

I completely get it! trink39.gif

My favorite 3 bands are Rush, Grateful Dead, and Phish...the order of which can change on any given day.

Rush are technical experts/precision artists. I love the lyrics (most of them) and the blend of melody with virtuosity is simply a deal-closer for me. A band to be proud to be a fan of. Love them.

The Dead are storytellers--a craft in its own--coming from a background of bluegrass, folk, jazz, and blues, while pioneering the psychedelic sound. Robert Hunter's lyrics from a certain era are untouchable--imo. The Dead are living American history/tradition. They offer American history and American literature lessons through songs and allusions. They are, imo, the greatest "American" rock band, in every sense of the word "American." This is because of their blend of original American music genres and the American folklore/literary traditions and allusions captured by the lyrics. Also, when he was on, no one could touch the emotion Jerry had in his singing or in his playing.

Phish, to me, is the perfect blend between Rush and The Dead. They are amazing musicians, storytellers, and improvisationalists on the live stage.

I could never tire of listening to either of these three bands.

Edited by gedfan

QUOTE (gedfan @ Oct 4 2011, 04:56 PM)
Mine is the Grateful Dead. I won't bother to try and defend it - it'd take too long, but a friend said to me, "you basically like the guys that are the absolute best on their instruments (i.e. RUSH), and the guys that are the absolute worst."

Anyway, I thought'd make an interesting thread to see if others have such disparate tastes ...

My favorite 3 bands are Rush, Grateful Dead, and Phish...the order of which can change on any given day.

Rush are technical experts/precision artists. I love the lyrics (most of them) and the blend of melody with virtuosity is simply a deal-closer for me. A band to be proud to be a fan of. Love them.

The Dead are storytellers--a craft in its own--coming from a background of bluegrass, folk, jazz, and blues, while pioneering the psychedelic sound. Robert Hunter's lyrics from a certain era are untouchable--imo. The Dead are living American history/tradition. They offer American history and American literature lessons through songs and allusions. They are, imo, the greatest "American" rock band, in every sense of the word "American." This is because of their blend of original American music genres and the American folklore/literary traditions and allusions captured by the lyrics. Also, when he was on, no one could touch the emotion Jerry had in his singing or in his playing.

Phish, to me, is the perfect blend between Rush and The Dead. They are amazing musicians, storytellers, and improvisationalists on the live stage.

I completely love Rush and the Dead.

Phish I have mixed feelings about. Mind you, I have a few of their CD's, and have heard a goodly few live recordings, but for me where they often fall is lyrically. Yeah, they could jam. They could jam the shit out of a song, very often topping the Grateful Dead in terms of virtuosity and excitement, but they simply didn't have lyrics of a Garcia/Hunter quality. The lyrics are playful or fun or silly or surreal or outrageous, and while that's all good and fine, it can wear thin for me after awhile. The Grateful Dead had a level of substance and message to their lyrics that Phish couldn't come near.

That said, Phish is a great band. Junta is amazing. trink39.gif

I love so many genres of music, but Rush remain my favorite of them all. Besides Rush...

Yes

Dream Theater

Iron Maiden

J. Priest

There's really too many to name here! tongue.gif These will have to suffice.

In no particular order after the first three......

The Beatles

Rush

Pink Floyd

The Eagles

Skynyrd (original band only)

Allman Bros. (every era)

ZZ Top

The Stones

Robin Trower

Stevie Ray

Black Sabbath (Ozzy era mostly)

Zeppelin

The Spinners

The Doors

Deep Purple

The Temptations

Metallica

Bob Dylan

Jeff Healey

War

Bob Seger

Hendrix

Tommy James & The Shondells

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 4 2011, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (gedfan @ Oct 4 2011, 04:56 PM)

I completely love Rush and the Dead.

Phish I have mixed feelings about. Mind you, I have a few of their CD's, and have heard a goodly few live recordings, but for me where they often fall is lyrically. Yeah, they could jam. They could jam the shit out of a song, very often topping the Grateful Dead in terms of virtuosity and excitement, but they simply didn't have lyrics of a Garcia/Hunter quality. The lyrics are playful or fun or silly or surreal or outrageous, and while that's all good and fine, it can wear thin for me after awhile. The Grateful Dead had a level of substance and message to their lyrics that Phish couldn't come near.

That said, Phish is a great band. Junta is amazing. trink39.gif

Totally understand that as well.

GD lyrics are a substantive worldview unto themselves.

Phish--you're right--are playful/silly/etc. They do have many lyrics, though, that are reminiscent of the Dead in that they are similarly soulful, introspective, philosophical with a substantive worldview, etc--but just as many silly ones. The more literary lyrics are written by the band's version of Robert Hunter: Tom Marshall. Dude can write as well.

trink39.gif