Your Other Fav. Band?

cheech44

Mine is the Grateful Dead. I won't bother to try and defend it - it'd take too long, but a friend said to me, "you basically like the guys that are the absolute best on their instruments (i.e. RUSH), and the guys that are the absolute worst."

I disagree, but I see what he was saying.

Anyway, I thought'd make an interesting thread to see if others have such disparate tastes ...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genesis.

Then....

Yes

ELP

King Crimson

QUOTE (cheech44 @ Sep 23 2011, 10:37 PM)
Anyway, I thought'd make an interesting thread to see if others have such disparate tastes ...

Yep.

The Cure.

I get where people have come from so far with so many Yes, Genesis, Porcupine Tree answers, but I'm all about The Cure for the number two spot. It's not the most disparate answer someone could give (any polka fans out there? Boy bands? A-cappella?) but it's pretty different than Rush.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 24 2011, 01:17 AM)

Yep.

The Cure.

I get where people have come from so far with so many Yes, Genesis, Porcupine Tree answers, but I'm all about The Cure for the number two spot. It's not the most disparate answer someone could give (any polka fans out there? Boy bands? A-cappella?) but it's pretty different than Rush.

Always loved The Cure. Although Wild Mood swings is abit of a stinker. 062802puke_prv.gif

AC/DC, Candlemass, Fats Domino, Symphony X, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, Black Sabbath, Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Marillon, Porcupine Tree, Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac.

The list goes on, and on, and gets even more diverse.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Sep 24 2011, 01:16 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 24 2011, 01:17 AM)

Yep.

The Cure.

Always loved The Cure. Although Wild Mood swings is abit of a stinker. 062802puke_prv.gif

It wasn't great, that's for sure. Waaaay too much brass on it. Upbeat or uptempo is fine for them (In Between Days, Push, How Beautiful You Are), I don't think everything has to be a dirge, but when they do a peppy track with a ton of bright brass, that makes me cringe a little.

Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, U2

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 23 2011, 11:17 PM)

The Cure.

I like The Cure a lot too. Disintegration is one of the Ten Best Albums of All-Time. It is absolutely brilliant, and devastating.

And Show is one of my favorite live albums ever.

If I had to pick just one, right now I'd say Yes. Off topic, regarding the Cure, I still like them, but I'm not often in the mood to play any of their music. Oh yeah, "Wild Mood Swings" was disappointing. One song has a Mexican feel to it, oddly enough. I prefer Siouxsie and the Banshees over the Cure, who I think are their counterparts.

These days, I tend to listen to the overall lesser known bands that may have had just a hit single. The Dream Academy were a pop band but I listen to their music quite often. Two of their albums were produced by David Gilmour.

Edited by circumstantial tree

It would be one of the following:

The Grateful Dead

Gov't Mule

Led Zeppelin

The Black Crowes

The Allman Brothers

I put them in order more or less if I had to decide between them.

1. Rush

2. Yes

2. Pink Floyd

2. Genesis

2. Led Zeppelin

2. Cat Stevens

2. Jim Croce

2. ELP

2. Fleetwood Mac

2. The Beatles

2. Styx

2. Boston