Great News! R.E.M. Calls It Quits!!

RUSHHEAD666

They were my favorite band for about 2 yrs in the 80s.

I mostly agree with ILS, though he left out a couple of songs I enjoyed, Swan Swan H, and Green Grow the Rushes.

My favorite albums were Fables of the Reconstruction, Murmur, and Document, with Life's Rich Pageant up there as well. I enjoyed Orange Crush off of Green and a couple of others , but that's when they started to fall off in my book.

What's the Frequency Kenneth? referred to an incident where the increasingly less lucid Dan Rather was attacked by a couple of men for no apparent reason(at least according to his account).

SHP was with Kate Pierson from the B-52s, who were "scene mates" in Athens in the early 80s.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 21 2011, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Sep 21 2011, 05:11 PM)
By the way, ILS, Mike Mills is a huge Cub fan!

yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif

I love Starlin Castro!!! 1022.gif

1 hit from 200 at the age of 21....

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Sep 21 2011, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 21 2011, 04:39 PM)
I loved them. A great band, in my opinion. I pretty much followed them from the very beginning. Great music and memories. I think they recorded several brilliant albums. Yeah, they held together for too long, but still managed to write a good song from time to time. I'll miss 'em.

I loved them too. Great live act back in the day as well.

Saw them in '95 and it was a great show!

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Sep 21 2011, 07:08 PM)
I mostly agree with ILS, though he left out a couple of songs I enjoyed, Swan Swan H, and Green Grow the Rushes.

I decided to listen to REM on my way home from work, and Swan Swan H came up on the Ipod. I could have easily included that one on the list. Damn good tune with some really funky lyrics.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 21 2011, 05:59 PM)
Pete Buck's signature Rickenbacker 12-string sound from the first decade is a treat to hear.

yes.gif I was thinking today while I was listening to their earlier stuff how Buck did a great job filling a song with a very busy guitar sound kind of in the same way that Alex does. They both have very different styles, but they both really craft a song well, and create a lot of sound for just one guitar.

After Document Buck's style certainly changed. I think I like Green because there is still a little edginess there, which was pretty much lost after that album. sad.gif

I used to be a big fan so I won't celebrate this party dawgs.

Automatic For The People is my fav, then Green, then Document.

They were innovative and original. I still listen from time to time.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 21 2011, 08:40 PM)

I decided to listen to REM on my way home from work, and Swan Swan H came up on the Ipod. I could have easily included that one on the list. Damn good tune with some really funky lyrics.

Hey Dog!

I'm a party pooper! This band stinks and I am glad they are done.

They were fresh from the start but like 12 beautiful blood red roses cut and stuffed in a vase for a loved one, they have become wilted and dead over time.

"Swan Swan?"

I prefer "Swan Song" Led Zeppelin.

Actually I love "Prawn Song" too!

PRIMUS SUCKS!

SO DOES R.E.M. laugh.gif

"R. ush E. jaculates M. oney"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 22 2011, 12:20 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 21 2011, 08:40 PM)

Hey Dog!

I'm a party pooper! This band stinks and I am glad they are done.

They were fresh from the start but like 12 beautiful blood red roses cut and stuffed in a vase for a loved one, they have become wilted and dead over time.

"Swan Swan?"

I prefer "Swan Song" Led Zeppelin.

Actually I love "Prawn Song" too!

PRIMUS SUCKS!

SO DOES R.E.M. laugh.gif

"R. ush E. jaculates M. oney"

It's all good. I'm half way with you, because I can't stand anything that they made after 92. trink39.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Sep 21 2011, 11:11 PM)
My sisters's college friends were the stereotypical black-clothes-wearing, pale, bad-poetry-reading, dope smoking R.E.M. fans who loved the babbling nonsense from Mike Stripe...therefore I pretty much hate that band.

Which one is your sister? confused13.gif

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/c/cd/Goth_Kids.png

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 22 2011, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Sep 21 2011, 11:11 PM)
My sisters's college friends were the stereotypical black-clothes-wearing, pale, bad-poetry-reading, dope smoking R.E.M. fans who loved the babbling nonsense from Mike Stripe...therefore I pretty much hate that band.

Which one is your sister? confused13.gif

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/c/cd/Goth_Kids.png

She just smoked the dope. Her friends were the poetry freaks.

Thank God. 30 years to late if ya ask me, 1 down and another 1000 shit bands to go