Great News! R.E.M. Calls It Quits!!

RUSHHEAD666

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 21 2011, 02:52 PM)
Statistically speaking, going by how many albums they've sold, I'd say everyone thought they broke up about 12 years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/LOLskate.gif

I once loved REM like I love Rush. I remember in 1987 driving from Richmond, VA to Atlanta playing nothing but the same 120 minute REM mixtape over and over.

I "discovered" them in 1980, when they got airplay on Album 88, a local college alt station. The love affair lasted until the release of "Green".

I listened to that CD about 15 times before Frisbee-ing it out my dorm window in disgust and bitterness. After that you couldn't have paid me to cross the street to hear them perform live.

They were at their best, IMO, when Stipe sang unintelligible, nearly nonsensical lyrics, like one of my favorites, "Sitting Still".

"Dead Letter Office", "Murmur", "Reckoning", and "Life's Rich Pageant" were f***ing masterpieces. "Document" was good, and everything after that sucked donkey balls.

I never liked them, and I still keep thinking his name is Michael Stripe, I think they'd be a better band if his name was Stripe. Maybe he can still change it and get a hair transplant and finally join STRYPER. Who better to be in Styper than Michael Stripe??

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 21 2011, 03:55 PM)
I never liked them, and I still keep thinking his name is Michael Stripe, I think they'd be a better band if his name was Stripe. Maybe he can still change it and get a hair transplant and finally join STRYPER. Who better to be in Styper than Michael Stripe??

trink38.gif

cool10.gif

Well I liked their music and am sad I never got to see them live. They had some great songs over the years, in my opinion!

Orange Crush

Stand

Losing My Religion

Shiny Happy People

Drive

Man on the Moon

The Great Beyond

Everybody Hurts

What's the Frequency, Kenneth

I will agree they did go downhill in the late 90s, and by the time I checked out the 2008 album "Accelerate" I thought they were pretty much done. It didn't hold a flame to the earlier stuff.

I loved them. A great band, in my opinion. I pretty much followed them from the very beginning. Great music and memories. I think they recorded several brilliant albums. Yeah, they held together for too long, but still managed to write a good song from time to time. I'll miss 'em.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 21 2011, 04:39 PM)
I loved them. A great band, in my opinion. I pretty much followed them from the very beginning. Great music and memories. I think they recorded several brilliant albums. Yeah, they held together for too long, but still managed to write a good song from time to time. I'll miss 'em.

I loved them too. Great live act back in the day as well.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 21 2011, 02:19 PM)
I once loved REM like I love Rush. I remember in 1987 driving from Richmond, VA to Atlanta playing nothing but the same 120 minute REM mixtape over and over.

I "discovered" them in 1980, when they got airplay on Album 88, a local college alt station. The love affair lasted until the release of "Green".

I listened to that CD about 15 times before Frisbee-ing it out my dorm window in disgust and bitterness. After that you couldn't have paid me to cross the street to hear them perform live.

They were at their best, IMO, when Stipe sang unintelligible, nearly nonsensical lyrics, like one of my favorites, "Sitting Still".

"Dead Letter Office", "Murmur", "Reckoning", and "Life's Rich Pageant" were f***ing masterpieces. "Document" was good, and everything after that sucked donkey balls.

I agree with you on every point except I really liked Green, with the exception of Stand. Stand was kind of like their "Under The Bridge". Orange Crush and Turn You Inside Out were damn good tunes.

Everything after Green sucked Donkey balls in my book.

I remember seeing them for the Green tour. 8th row. Good show. Now where near as good as a rush show though.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Sep 21 2011, 03:13 PM)
Well I liked their music and am sad I never got to see them live. They had some great songs over the years, in my opinion!

Orange Crush
Stand
Losing My Religion
Shiny Happy People
Drive
Man on the Moon
The Great Beyond
Everybody Hurts

I will agree they did go downhill in the late 90s, and by the time I checked out the 2008 album "Accelerate" I thought they were pretty much done. It didn't hold a flame to the earlier stuff.

Nothing personal...but that list makes me want to hurl.

Now here's a list of good REM songs:

Catapult

Talk About The Passion

Pilgrimage

Driver 8

Can't Get There From Here

So. Central Rain

Fall On Me

Begin the Begin

Superman

Finest Worksong

Exhuming McCarthy

Disturbance At The Heron House

Oddfellows Local 151

Turn You Inside Out

Pop Song 89

Now that's REM in their prime. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 21 2011, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Sep 21 2011, 03:13 PM)

Orange Crush
Stand
Losing My Religion
Shiny Happy People
Drive
Man on the Moon
The Great Beyond
Everybody Hurts

Nothing personal...but that list makes me want to hurl.

Now here's a list of good REM songs:

Catapult

Talk About The Passion

Pilgrimage

Driver 8

Can't Get There From Here

So. Central Rain

Fall On Me

Begin the Begin

Superman

Finest Worksong

Exhuming McCarthy

Disturbance At The Heron House

Oddfellows Local 151

Turn You Inside Out

Pop Song 89

Now that's REM in their prime. 1022.gif

Now THOSE are damn good REM songs (mostly - the last 3 aren't big favorites)! yes.gif I am guessing progrush is somewhat younger than I.

I felt a glimmer of hope when What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (bonus points if you know the source of the title) came out. Bought Monster and hated myself afterwards. (Remember, young'uns, this was in the days when buying an album was very much a crapshoot. None of this preview shit).

Gave up after that.

Pete Buck's signature Rickenbacker 12-string sound from the first decade is a treat to hear.