Time Machine 2011 being premiered

D3strukt

I liked what I saw visually and the setlist, but I have to be brutally honest...anyone who can't admit that Ged's voice is pretty much shot now is fooling themselves. He strains and cracks through pretty much every song on the setlist now, even material like Presto that's not what anyone would consider a "high tough to sing" tune. Sure, there's some shows where he sounds better than others, but overall it's obvious his age has caught up to him.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jnoble @ Oct 1 2011, 11:52 AM)
I liked what I saw visually and the setlist, but I have to be brutally honest...anyone who can't admit that Ged's voice is pretty much shot now is fooling themselves. He strains and cracks through pretty much every song on the setlist now, even material like Presto that's not what anyone would consider a "high tough to sing" tune. Sure, there's some shows where he sounds better than others, but overall it's obvious his age has caught up to him.

I can admit Ged's voice does not sound as good as it used to. But I think he's singing well enough on most nights that I can still enjoy listening to this band live, and well enough that the band doesn't need to call it quits.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2011, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Oct 1 2011, 11:52 AM)

I can admit Ged's voice does not sound as good as it used to. But I think he's singing well enough on most nights that I can still enjoy listening to this band live, and well enough that the band doesn't need to call it quits.

When Geddy enters Dylan territory he should call it quits! Personally, considering the way he sang for most of his career, I think Geddy sounds just fine.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Oct 1 2011, 10:52 AM)

Presto is actualy quite a challenging song to sing - (it's also over 20 years old)

He's singing it better now then he probably would have during the Presto tour. Christ, even on the RTB tour, he bypassed the "cell of awareness" part in favor of an awkward transition into Distant Early Warning becuase he couldn't nail it back then.

The fact that he is singing at the level he is today is pretty remarkable - and to say that his voice is "shot" is pretty rediculous.

In my opinion, to call his voice " pretty much shot " is an extreme exaggeration. I'd agree that it's not what it was, but " pretty much shot"?

I'd respectfully disagree.

smile.gif

Edited by Phantom

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 30 2011, 07:48 PM)
No bitching from Goobs. Great!
Yeah, relistening, I can defintely hear some touchup on Marathon.

Hey, you must not have read the whole thread as I DID bitch some! tongue.gif

I watched I think the first 4 youtube vids and gave it some more thought. The vocals are definitely an improvement over the S&A one where he wasn't really enunciating words fully, to the point that I think a virgin listener would have no idea what he was saying.

On this one, the vocals were a little better than my first impression. Can I assume they were fixed up in the studio a bit?

THAT SAID, yeah, at best the singing is passable, but still it sounds like he's continually struggling, and nowhere does he sound great, or even particularly that good.

It's truly sad to me, because obviously the boys musical chops are top-notch. I mean, they truly play the shit out of the songs they're playing. Unfortunately, Geddy's voice is a big anchor that's dragging things down. The question becomes, is it enough to overlook when seeing them live? That's a decision everyone has to make on their own. I do think if people think he sounds great that they're being very, very forgiving.

The question most important to me is, "how does it look to the brand new fan coming across Rush on tv?," and for me unfortunately the answer is "not great." I think it would be an immediate and often irreparable turn-off, but of course others will disagree. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 1 2011, 06:49 PM)

I watched I think the first 4 youtube vids and gave it some more thought. The vocals are definitely an improvement over the S&A one where he wasn't really enunciating words fully, to the point that I think a virgin listener would have no idea what he was saying.

On this one, the vocals were a little better than my first impression. Can I assume they were fixed up in the studio a bit?

THAT SAID, yeah, at best the singing is passable, but still it sounds like he's continually struggling, and nowhere does he sound great, or even particularly that good.

It's truly sad to me, because obviously the boys musical chops are top-notch. I mean, they truly play the shit out of the songs they're playing. Unfortunately, Geddy's voice is a big anchor that's dragging things down. The question becomes, is it enough to overlook when seeing them live? That's a decision everyone has to make on their own. I do think if people think he sounds great that they're being very, very forgiving.

The question most important to me is, "how does it look to the brand new fan coming across Rush on tv?," and for me unfortunately the answer is "not great." I think it would be an immediate and often irreparable turn-off, but of course others will disagree. wink.gif

It is definitely something that can be overlooked when seeing them live. I've been to fourteen Rush gigs over the last four years, and at every one the prevailing sentiment was clearly much more along the lines of "DAMN these guys ROCK" than "Wow, Geddy can't sing anymore."

And you know what else? Even as someone who actively DISLIKED Rush for 30 years largely because of Geddy's voice, seeing excerpts from R30 on VH1 is what made me decide to go see Rush live in the first place. So obviously, he's not coming across all that badly. tongue.gif

Edited by GeddysMullet

Whilst I agree that the vocals didn't amaze me, there were other things that caught my attention more, such as the guitar sound in some songs.

The sound in general wasn't exactly brilliant - but I'll hold judgement until I hear the actual release. Broadcasters have all sorts of weird and wonderful settings on their outboard gear.

Camera angles were generally good. I like how they focused on the right members at the right time, and for the right amount of time. Could do with less shots of folk air-drumming, and more Kelly D, but thats just me.

They fixed the Presto wreck, but it still sounds a little weird - if you listen carefully you can hear where the cuts have been made.

At the end of Working Man, you can see Neil's tech Lorne pushing the camera guy out of the way - just an additional thing that made me smile a little.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Oct 1 2011, 04:09 PM)
They fixed the Presto wreck, but it still sounds a little weird - if you listen carefully you can hear where the cuts have been made.

I gotta say that dusting off the 20+ year old song Presto didn't suddenly make it any better. Still a mediocre Rush song for me from a mediocre album. If I could wave my magic wand...

... I would have taken that out of the set list for sure. Too many other great songs far more deserving of that spot.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Oct 1 2011, 04:03 PM)

It is definitely something that can be overlooked when seeing them live. I've been to fourteen Rush gigs over the last four years, and at every one the prevailing sentiment was clearly much more along the lines of "DAMN these guys ROCK" than "Wow, Geddy can't sing anymore."

And you know what else? Even as someone who actively DISLIKED Rush for 30 years largely because of Geddy's voice, seeing excerpts from R30 on VH1 is what made me decide to go see Rush live in the first place. So obviously, he's not coming across all that badly. tongue.gif

Unfortunately, his voice has deteriorated a good bit since R30. Obviously he's going to keep pushing it with the tour following CA (that will probably last two years since that's where the big money is at). I hope that's it after that. It's such a shame - a band known for their musical intricacy, ridiculous instrumental proficiency and faithful duplication of their material live, it really is a glaring deficiency and makes a HUGE dent in their otherwise top-shelf professionalism. Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't really bother them. Maybe it does. And I'm not blaming Geddy for getting too old to sing any more except at a sub-standard level, but maybe it's time for them to hang it up?

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 1 2011, 08:06 PM)

Unfortunately, his voice has deteriorated a good bit since R30. Obviously he's going to keep pushing it with the tour following CA (that will probably last two years since that's where the big money is at). I hope that's it after that. It's such a shame - a band known for their musical intricacy, ridiculous instrumental proficiency and faithful duplication of their material live, it really is a glaring deficiency and makes a HUGE dent in their otherwise top-shelf professionalism. Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't really bother them. Maybe it does. And I'm not blaming Geddy for getting too old to sing any more except at a sub-standard level, but maybe it's time for them to hang it up?

While Geddy might not be able to sing as he once did in the past, but he doesn't sing sub-standard. I think his vocals on the new songs are amazing. They're very mature, and fit for the direction they are going musically.

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Oct 1 2011, 06:09 PM)
Whilst I agree that the vocals didn't amaze me, there were other things that caught my attention more, such as the guitar sound in some songs.

Agree on the guitar sound. The sig Les Paul Alex uses on the first set sounds really good. The sunburst Les Paul sounds terrible on MP and Caravan.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Oct 1 2011, 05:09 PM)
In my opinion, to call his voice " pretty much shot " is an extreme exaggeration. I'd agree that it's not what it was, but " pretty much shot"?

I'd respectfully disagree.

smile.gif

I love the band as much as you guys, but his voice on the last two tours has unfortunatly been a distraction to me because of the straining and cracking and creaking. That and I think the way he's enunciating and lilting into the words makes it seem worse. I'm trying to enjoy every song but theres the ones where all I can concentrate on is how much trouble the mans having to just reach the notes much less hold them without sounding awkward.

Some of you guys are wearing your hero worship on your sleeves, or just digging for stuff to complain about to pass time, - because this notion that Geddy's voice is so far gone that it's a glaring problem and they need to retire is patently absurd and entirely untrue.

Freewill, Presto, Marathon, The Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, Working Man, Subdivisions, Caravan, BU2B, Workin Them Angels - they all sounded fantastic on this tour.

And he sounded SUPERB on the Snakes tour. If his voice cracks here and there, who gives a shit? Seriously - He can still deliver on a nightly basis while playing his ass off.

Every show I attended for the TM tour, the sentiment was "Damn, they still rock, and holy shit - Geddy sounds great, did you hear Freewill??"

His voice is especially strong on the newer material - this whole "enunciation" thing that has carried over from the other board is a prime example of what dorks us Rush fans are LOL - the man used to shreik like a parrot with a bottle rocket up his ass - now we're bitching that we cant understand him???

Oh Lordy...

wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 1 2011, 09:00 PM)

I gotta say that dusting off the 20+ year old song Presto didn't suddenly make it any better. Still a mediocre Rush song for me from a mediocre album. If I could wave my magic wand...

... I would have taken that out of the set list for sure. Too many other great songs far more deserving of that spot.

A lot of people were pleasantly surprised at "Presto" and how good it sounded, myself included. As usual, you're in the minority Goobs. Just where you like to be. yes.gif

And why are you SO hung up on how the band makes money? Are you their accountant now? And, part of me hopes you hate Clockwork Angels almost as much as VT. That means it'll be a really good album!

And yeah, by posting at you like this, I know I'm giving you what you want. Oh well, sometimes I can't resist playing along. wink.gif

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Oct 1 2011, 07:48 PM)

While Geddy might not be able to sing as he once did in the past, but he doesn't sing sub-standard. I think his vocals on the new songs are amazing. They're very mature, and fit for the direction they are going musically.

While I'm not crazy about the new songs, I'm referring to his live singing, not in the studio.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2011, 11:31 PM)

A lot of people were pleasantly surprised at "Presto" and how good it sounded, myself included. As usual, you're in the minority Goobs. Just where you like to be. yes.gif

And why are you SO hung up on how the band makes money? Are you their accountant now? And, part of me hopes you hate Clockwork Angels almost as much as VT. That means it'll be a really good album!

And yeah, by posting at you like this, I know I'm giving you what you want. Oh well, sometimes I can't resist playing along. wink.gif

I don't actually like being in the minority. I really love it when people agree with me. It's just seldom the case, but I've come to peace with that. tongue.gif

Ironically, while I don't mind and even somewhat enjoy stirring the pot, I don't ever make up or exaggerate my opinions to do so. I guess I'm just lucky that way! wink.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Oct 1 2011, 11:09 PM)
Some of you guys are wearing your hero worship on your sleeves, or just digging for stuff to complain about to pass time, - because this notion that Geddy's voice is so far gone that it's a glaring problem and they need to retire is patently absurd and entirely untrue.

And that's the great thing about opinions - we're all entitled to have one. wink.gif

QUOTE (sco703 @ Oct 2 2011, 03:13 AM)
I only watched the first part but the mix sounds pretty good. Better than RIR at least. But I guess that's not saying much tongue.gif

RIR sounds horrible.

It's like going to a concert to hear the audience.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 2 2011, 01:46 AM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Oct 1 2011, 07:48 PM)

While I'm not crazy about the new songs, I'm referring to his live singing, not in the studio.

So was I.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 2 2011, 02:31 AM)

rofl3.gif applaudit.gif

I noticed Geddy's voice straight away, watching the Time Machine show. but really, his voice is still good, and the show was pretty kickass. so there ya go lol tongue.gif

FWIW, Geddy was fighting off a cold the entire first leg of the 2011 TMT dates.