Time Machine 2011 being premiered

D3strukt

DVR is SET. I'm looking very forward to this, since I couldn't actually be there at a Time Machine show.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of making yet another controversial post, my thoughts on the subject aren't "Oh cool, a new Rush DVD on a channel where it will get a lot of airplay and maybe introduce some people to Rush," but, "God, I hope Geddy's vocals aren't as embarrassingly bad as on the last live DVD or two."

unsure.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 25 2011, 08:54 AM)
I just got an email from amazon telling me that I won't be getting this until end of dec/early jan...I wonder if it is still going to air...hope so.

fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

december 20th for the blu-ray and november 8th for the dvd. wtf.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Sep 25 2011, 09:28 AM)
his vocals will be bad no doubt. If they are anything like i heard on youtube. its gonna be painful..

Then don't watch it! tongue.gif But seriously are his vocals really THAT bad? His tuning sounds fine to me. Sure he might not have the range he used to have and the tone might have deteriorated a bit, but he still does a way wayyy better job than many other rock singers out there. And all while playing those bass lines!

QUOTE (reani14 @ Sep 25 2011, 08:28 AM)
his vocals will be bad no doubt. If they are anything like i heard on youtube. its gonna be painful..

If you're comparing crap audio recorded on someone's iPhone to a professionally recorded, mixed and mastered live recording, you're way off base. His vocals will be fine. He has matured and can't exactly hit the high stuff from the 70's anymore, but he comes damn close.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 25 2011, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Sep 25 2011, 08:28 AM)

If you're comparing crap audio recorded on someone's iPhone to a professionally recorded, mixed and mastered live recording, you're way off base. His vocals will be fine. He has matured and can't exactly hit the high stuff from the 70's anymore, but he comes damn close.

The problem goes WAY beyond his ability to just hit high notes anymore. This is from a post I did a little while back, and I unfortunately stand by it:

Yes, their musical playing is as good as ever perhaps, as well as their stage presence, but Geddy's voice is the weak link that definitely shows them as past their peak.  I didn't notice it too much when I saw them live and in person for the S&A tour, but when I've seen the DVD's they show on tv from the last couple of tours, Geddy's voice is unfortunately often pretty cringeworthy, with the most recent DVD being the most so. 

I'm so torn when I see these videos on tv.  On one hand I'm so glad to see them getting exposure that they so richly deserve, but on the other I'm kind of embarrassed for how Geddy's voice is sounding.  It seems like he's always exerting himself a bit beyond his ability to sing the songs, even in a lower register, and it either sounds forced, or he ends up singing without fully enunciating the words.  I imagine it from the perspective of someone not familiar with the songs, and I can only come up with the conclusion that they literally would not be able to understand most of the lyrics if they didn't know them beforehand.  I can only hope that doesn't deter newbies from enjoying those videos and henceforth getting into Rush. 

I brought this up to my wife (who isn't really a fan) when we were watching S&A Live on tv, and she actually said she liked him singing in a lower register, so maybe people don't notice it and I'm being hyper-sensitive.  I can't help but cringe repeatedly while watching their more recent live videos though.  scared.gif

The videos I've seen of the Time Machine Tour if anything show this as a worsening problem. I don't know how a professionally recorded live video is supposed to correct this problem unless they go to the trouble to actually clean up the vocals in the studio.

What I think they should do (which of course never happens wink.gif ), is to make a video using all the songs from the tour, but use only the very best performances of each song, the ones where Geddy has the least strain on his vocals, but that aside (again, won't happen), it's actually with a bit of dread that I await watching this video. I can only hope the singing can cut it.

Mind you, I don't WANT to feel this way, but I can't deny how I perceive things. eh.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 25 2011, 06:54 AM)
I just got an email from amazon telling me that I won't be getting this until end of dec/early jan...I wonder if it is still going to air...hope so.

So did I. But I also just saw a promo for it on VH1 (why yes, I am still up.....) eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2011, 07:06 PM)
At the risk of making yet another controversial post, my thoughts on the subject aren't "Oh cool, a new Rush DVD on a channel where it will get a lot of airplay and maybe introduce some people to Rush," but, "God, I hope Geddy's vocals aren't as embarrassingly bad as on the last live DVD or two."

unsure.gif

I'm not sure what other live release other than S&A you think Geddy sounded so bad on. Your post seems to cover more than just S&A. I only feel that way about the S&A live CD. To me Geddy's vocals sound pretty good when I'm 'watching' the DVD. I guess the combination of visuals, stage show, and watching them play add energy to the vocals and it works. But to just 'listen' to the S&A CDs is a challenge for me. He sounds tired and (dare I say it) old. So from now on... I'm only going to watch. laugh.gif

QUOTE (RushFansInCentralTexas @ Sep 24 2011, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Sep 20 2011, 10:41 AM)

I just read the latest from RIAB:

VH1 will be airing a 2-hour concert culled from the footage as part of their annual Rushashana program on September 29.

Although this was talked about last week I'm finally believing it.

From the VH1 Classic press release:

"Rush: Time Machine" premieres Wednesday, September 28 at 8PM ET/PT

Filmed in Cleveland in April 2011, the "Time Machine" tour was an evening with Rush, where the band performed new songs, classic hits and, for the first time ever, performed the "Moving Pictures" album in its entirety.

NOTE THE DATE: 9/28, not 9/29. Don't be a day late!

The 28th is my daughter's b'day, so I'm sure I'll be able to watch. No DVR here. Either I'm on-time or out of luck. I'll sure try.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 17 2011, 09:33 PM)
That's great! But, it makes me pissed that I don't have VH1 Classic...I wish you could stream it on the internet. sad.gif

Sadly, this is my situation, too!!!!!! sad.gif sad.gif angry.gif angry.gif I can't wait till the new DVD is released!!!! cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif trink39.gif

If could figure out a way to get it off the DVR and share it I would but someone with more technical savvy is going to have to do that. I'm glad it is going to be on TV in an edited form because the delay for the Blu-Ray is a bummer. I like to think of it as a really long preview. Two days, can't wait!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2011, 07:06 PM)

It's official.....Geddy needs to be autotuned. tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 28 2011, 05:15 PM)
I never watch VH1 Classic and had trouble finding it, but I finally did, and right now they're showing the movie "The Natural," and it's not in HD. I hope that changes for the Rush stuff. I don't see an HD version of this channel.

Sadly there is no such thing as VH1 Classic HD sad.gif

Okay so who brought the kid in the red sweatshirt and green headphones. GREAT shot of him during Spirit of Radio. I hope you're both watching it right now and flipped out when you saw him. Very, very cool.

trink39.gif