Why so much hate?

Czarcasm

I think, too, with a band like Rush, who are always trying new things and reinventing themselves, it is easier to have quite distinct eras. I think this is part of the appeal for many fans - they like being challenged and having variety. That variety, though, means some eras will be less liked than others. Compared to a band like The Rolling Stones, who haven't really changed much over the years, Rush is more likely to polarize their fans.

I'm a big fan of prog rock, so I tend to be more into their more prog-inspired work, but I'm still curious to hear their other musical ideas. I certainly don't hate anything that I've heard (though the rap in "Roll the Bones" does kind of make me cringe), and lately I've begun to develop an appreciation for albums like Grace Under Pressure and Vapor Trails, which I didn't have at the time of their release. Even when I haven't been as into their current sound, I have always been impressed by their willingness to experiment and to be influenced by other musical styles.

-Jane

2.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't hate any Rush album. There are ones I prefer and they range from early (Hemispheres) to later (S&A). I find something to love on every album, though. Yes, even VT (for proof look at my UID) laugh.gif

There is a contingent of "old Rush good/new Rush bad" folks but rather than wonder why they dislike the later music I just pity them. There is so much to like on the later albums. The band tried different sounds, grew, experimented, changed... some people can keep up and some can't - or won't - but that's none of my concern. I love what I love and don't worry about it tongue.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 18 2011, 04:04 AM)
Personally, I don't hate any Rush album. There are ones I prefer and they range from early (Hemispheres) to later (S&A). I find something to love on every album, though. Yes, even VT (for proof look at my UID) laugh.gif

There is a contingent of "old Rush good/new Rush bad" folks but rather than wonder why they dislike the later music I just pity them. There is so much to like on the later albums. The band tried different sounds, grew, experimented, changed... some people can keep up and some can't - or won't - but that's none of my concern. I love what I love and don't worry about it tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

Except for the six songs im not so keen on (ive talked about this before) I like all the eras and all the albums. I love how Rush changes and grows over the years.

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Sep 17 2011, 12:04 PM)
Test for Echo is still an amazing album and I like it more than Hemispheres.

if we assume your member title is legit, then this is just a 'fire up the fanbois' thread (i.e. to be ignored)

however, if we're to take you at your (^ quoted above) word, I'd say you're probably very young, and haven't learned to be objective with your critical assessments

like what you like - sure - but don't expect anything more than a chorus of 'me too' and 'wtf dude' to follow comments like that

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Sep 17 2011, 12:04 PM)
1) Why do you guys hate Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows?

2) Test for Echo is still an amazing album and I like it more than Hemispheres.

3) Hold Your Fire...it's still in my top 5.

4) The idea of someone liking Caress of steel more than Power Windows or Hold Your Fire almost blows my mind.

1) Not everyone here does. I happen to like Roll The Bones. Those who do simply have different taste than you.

2) I certainly don't agree with either of those claims, but, again, we all have different tastes.

3) Hold Your Fire is definitely in my top 5 as well, and I've seen a lot of support for it on this forum.

4) Here I agree. Caress of Steel is my least favorite Rush album, and I certainly think Power Windows is far better in every respect. It seems pretty clear that you don't like Caress of Steel that much. Can you give a rationale? It seems you and I are simply applying the same "love/hate" labels as everyone else - just differently.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 18 2011, 01:36 PM)
I only hate Rush albums if they suck. tongue.gif

Seriously, "hate" is a very strong word, and while I think Presto, RTB & T4E are very weak albums at best, for me the word "hate" is only reserved for their aural abortion of an album released in 2002.

That last statement makes no sense as there were no new Grateful Dead albums released in 2002. huh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 18 2011, 02:46 PM)

Seriously, "hate" is a very strong word, and while I think Presto, RTB & T4E are very weak albums at best, for me the word "hate" is only reserved for their aural abortion of an album released in 2002.

That last statement makes no sense as there were no new Grateful Dead albums released in 2002. huh.gif

ah

but 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence' was wink.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 18 2011, 08:59 PM)

ah

Got some Alka-Seltzer for that gut-wrenching album...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 18 2011, 03:17 PM)

ah

thanks!

... that cools the sonic dysentery perfectly yes.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 18 2011, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 18 2011, 03:17 PM)

ah

thanks!

... that cools the sonic dysentery perfectly yes.gif

When did you first get wind of that album?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 18 2011, 12:46 PM)

well, of course not - jerry garcia died in 1995 - duh!

tongue.gif

I like the synth era the best because that's my overall favorite type of music. I also like to devote my full attention to music, and have very little time, so I find myself listening to the shorter songs, as they're more accessible. But I like it all. Fly By Night is my least favorite of the early years, and Vapor Trails of the later, because it's just not my favorite musical style, and the sound on VT is not the greatest. Test For Echo is very up and down for me. Snakes has grown on me a lot.

But I'm not one to ask - some of the most hated songs in the Rush catalog (Tears, Madrigal, Chemistry, The Body Electric, Open Secrets, Second Nature, Face Up, Neurotica, and The Larger Bowl) are some of my favorites, and I don't think Tai Shan, High Water, Superconductor, Anagram, the rest of the Roll The Bones album, and even Dog Years are bad at all, and I'm damn proud of it! tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 19 2011, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Sep 19 2011, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 18 2011, 12:36 PM)
aural abortion of an album

In all honesty, was that really necessary? confused13.gif

I loved the alliteration.

And, yes.gif .

No need to be a dick about it, Goob.

And no, your choice of words wasn't necessary. Not the end of the world, but there were other options available. For instance, "Aural abomination of an album" would have sufficed, and it would have kept your precious alliteration intact.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 19 2011, 04:57 PM)

And, yes.gif .

Interestingly, if you do a search of the phrase "aural abortion" on TRF, it appears 3 different times in our history by 3 different people, including me.

And they all are describing the same album. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 19 2011, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 19 2011, 07:57 PM)

And, yes.gif .

No need to be a dick about it, Goob.

And no, your choice of words wasn't necessary. Not the end of the world, but there were other options available. For instance, "Aural abomination of an album" would have sufficed, and it would have kept your precious alliteration intact.

that would have been better. i forget that people have very strong feelings about abortion, so i'll refrain from using that terminology in the future. didn't mean to get political or use a term people might take offense to.

aural abomination of an album it is, and alliteration is intact! tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 19 2011, 07:02 PM)

And, yes.gif .

Interestingly, if you do a search of the phrase "aural abortion" on TRF, it appears 3 different times in our history by 3 different people, including me.

Abomination of Desolation...has more of a ring to it...like the ringing in my ears after listening to it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 19 2011, 07:02 PM)

And, yes.gif .

So not only did you say it; you repeated a joke as well?

There is no hope for you, man.