BBQ

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 16 2011, 08:00 PM)
This thread is making me hungry! Barbecue ribs are one of my favorite foods. I love southern food. drool1.gif
Does anyone else like fried okra?

I love fried okra. Don't like it stewed though.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 17 2011, 03:02 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 16 2011, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 16 2011, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 16 2011, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 16 2011, 05:12 AM)
One of the ONLY redeeming things about living in the Deep South is the BBQ.

Don't forget the cornbread and sweet potato pie!!! drool1.gif

Neither of those items is on my list of "good things about living in the Deep South". Barf to both.

Thanks for livening up the thread Mara smile.gif

I have to have cornbread with BBQ. I do not like baked beans at all. When I make it at home... always have cornbread and grilled corn.

I'm not a huge fan of baked beans, normally. But I have a co-worker who makes wicked good ones. (The generous addition of bacon is key).

I'd rather just have a nice hot roll or a biscuit. Or just 86 the bread entirely, even (leaves room for extra helpings of meat). But I really freaking hate cornbread, always have. And the mere thought of sweet potato pie (or sweet potato anything, really) turns my stomach.

f***ing hell Mara. What do you like? wink.gif pokey.gif

I'd like to see your full list of foods you hate/don't care for. It's gotta be close to War and Peace length yeah? tongue.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 16 2011, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 16 2011, 08:00 PM)
This thread is making me hungry! Barbecue ribs are one of my favorite foods. I love southern food. drool1.gif
Does anyone else like fried okra?

I love fried okra. Don't like it stewed though.

Oh, yeah! Rolled in corn meal and fried to a nice GBD. Mmmmm.. But I won't even touch it if it's prepared any other way.

I'm one of those sloppy BBQ fans. dry rub is okay but I want sauce, too!

Had a boss once who we were glad left for many reasons, one being his awful cornbread. It had a funny flavor wacko.gif I like everyone else's, though.

My brother is the barbecuer in my family; he has a smoker and all. He's made Dan and I beef ribs, BBQ chicken, and some kind of pork the last time we were there. We didn't go anywhere near Connecticut this year, and are missing our visit. Here he made enough to have loads of leftovers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/betera/DSCF0688.jpg

My best friend and I are solidly in our middle ages. His parents are elderly and spend winters in Florida. So we drive their car from Maryland down I-95 to Orlando in December and bring it back in April. It gives us a chance to push away from our immediate responsibilities for a few days and our wives are both very supportive of this.

We are both bonafide Barbeque freaks and a significant part of the trip is 2 or 3 stops at well respected Barbeque joints. We've driven in excess of 100 miles off of I-95 to visit various restaurants and probably been to 30 - 40 different places over the years.

If anyone has a can't miss Barbeque Joint, Pit, Shack, etc., in Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia or even Florida, please let me know.

Incidently, we both agree that Wiley's Championship Barbque just outside of Savannah is the best overall Barbeque restaurant we have ever visited. If you love Barbeque, this should be on your bucket list.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 09:26 PM)
My best friend and I are solidly in our middle ages. His parents are elderly and spend winters in Florida. So we drive their car from Maryland down I-95 to Orlando in December and bring it back in April. It gives us a chance to push away from our immediate responsibilities for a few days and our wives are both very supportive of this.

We are both bonafide Barbeque freaks and a significant part of the trip is 2 or 3 stops at well respected Barbeque joints. We've driven in excess of 100 miles off of I-95 to visit various restaurants and probably been to 30 - 40 different places over the years.

If anyone has a can't miss Barbeque Joint, Pit, Shack, etc., in Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia or even Florida, please let me know.

Incidently, we both agree that Wiley's Championship Barbque just outside of Savannah is the best overall Barbeque restaurant we have ever visited. If you love Barbeque, this should be on your bucket list.

For barbecue, eastern NC style (vinegar and pepper based), go to Gardners Barbecue. My hometown of Rocky Mount, NC has a couple. They have a lunch buffet during the week. Rocky Mount is along I-95. Another is Smithfield's BB in Raleigh.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 08:26 PM)

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.php

there ya go. check out the BBQ trail map.

these establishments are the real deal.

all of them use only WOOD. to me if they are not using all wood its not BBQ.

no charcoal, no gas with wood. wood and only wood is what makes it good.

in other words if there is not a wood pile out back, i am passing.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 18 2011, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 09:26 PM)

For barbecue, eastern NC style (vinegar and pepper based), go to Gardners Barbecue. My hometown of Rocky Mount, NC has a couple. They have a lunch buffet during the week. Rocky Mount is along I-95. Another is Smithfield's BB in Raleigh.

Hey CT, we've been to both. Both were good, as I recall. I remember Gardner's had a buffet and actually liked the chicken better than the pork, which is rare for me.

Smithfields is a chain, isn't it? We've see a couple of them. Pretty good pulled pork but I think I remember it being a little over spiced, IMHO. Really good potato salad, though.

Thanks for the tips.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 19 2011, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 08:26 PM)

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.php

there ya go. check out the BBQ trail map.

these establishments are the real deal.

all of them use only WOOD. to me if they are not using all wood its not BBQ.

no charcoal, no gas with wood. wood and only wood is what makes it good.

in other words if there is not a wood pile out back, i am passing.

Very nice site, thanks. We will review it when we plan out next trip in December.

The kind of wood really matters, particularly for pork and chicken. For example, I don't like the flavor that mesquite puts in any meat. I don't care for Oak, either.

I tend to like the fruit woods and pecan for pork.

Tarheel Pig Pickers Barbecue Co, right off 95 just a bit north of Richmond Va. Good place for hog!!

A place here Andy Nelson's is the goto for me in Baltimore. Did famous Dave's Sat nite with my GF its ok not bad at all. My last bike trip out west we hit bbq joints all over NC and Tenn. damn near didnt make it ourt.LOL tongue.gif

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 20 2011, 08:14 AM)
Tarheel Pig Pickers Barbecue Co, right off 95 just a bit north of Richmond Va. Good place for hog!!
A place here Andy Nelson's is the goto for me in Baltimore. Did famous Dave's Sat nite with my GF its ok not bad at all. My last bike trip out west we hit bbq joints all over NC and Tenn. damn near didnt make it ourt.LOL tongue.gif

the one time i ate at famous daves it was pretty good IMO.

Bessingers in Charleston SC is very good IMO.

I have eaten at Dukes in Walterboro SC. I say good but not as good as bessingers.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 20 2011, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 20 2011, 08:14 AM)
Tarheel Pig Pickers Barbecue Co, right off 95  just a bit north of Richmond Va. Good place for hog!!
A place here  Andy Nelson's is the goto for me in Baltimore.  Did famous Dave's Sat nite with my GF its ok not bad at all.  My last bike trip out west we hit bbq joints all over NC and Tenn. damn near didnt make it ourt.LOL tongue.gif

the one time i ate at famous daves it was pretty good IMO.

Bessingers in Charleston SC is very good IMO.

I have eaten at Dukes in Walterboro SC. I say good but not as good as bessingers.

There was a place in Clemson that I went often while in college, but the name escapes me.

I redeemed myself! I made 2 briskets last weekend. Slow cooked them for 8 hours and they were awesome. Some people like them plain, I like them coated with a little BBQ sauce. My favorite for brisket is this one:

http://www.famousbbq.com/2010products/SAUCE_DS.gif

Ahh why did i read this thread? I was doing fine, my stomach wasnt complaining nor did I feel hungry. But now? Damn you Lost In Xanadu.

I havent bbq'd in a few weeks, I've been slacking off. But I'm gearing up for a bbq/football weekend Oct 9th and I fully intend to make some 3-2-1 apple/cherrywood smoked ribs with a dry rub and finished with a mop of a vinegar-based sweet sauce. Fall is the best time to smoke, IMO. Followed immedately by every other time of year, of course

Edited by PassTheAmmunition

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 29 2011, 03:37 PM)
Ahh why did i read this thread? I was doing fine, my stomach wasnt complaining nor did I feel hungry. But now? Damn you Lost In Xanadu.

I havent bbq'd in a few weeks, I've been slacking off. But I'm gearing up for a bbq/football weekend Oct 9th and I fully intend to make some 3-2-1 apple/cherrywood smoked ribs with a dry rub and finished with a mop of a vinegar-based sweet sauce. Fall is the best time to smoke, IMO. Followed immedately by every other time of year, of course

3-2-1... what do you mean there?

I like using apple and hickory for BBQ. Pretty much only use cherry for fish or chicken.

I usually rub the meat and refrigerate overnight. I have a water smoker and with BBQ I like putting water, apple juice and cider vinegar in there. With fish I use anything from white wine to just water and lemon.

My standard mop is apple cider, cider vinegar and canola oil.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 16 2011, 04:11 PM)
Cornbread sounds good, but I've never seen it. Is it really nice?

I don't like the sound of pumpkins...

Here is a basic cornbread recipe:

1 3/4 cups cornmeal

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup white sugar

2 cups buttermilk

2 eggs

1/4 cup vegetable oil

buttermilk and vegetable oil can be substituted with milk/butter

the ratio of flower to cornmeal can vary a lot up to 50/50

sugar is not necessary or preferable to many, some like it even sweeter

some people like to moisten it with other things than milk, like creamed corn...

It is popular to put in chiles, cheese, onions.... really any number of things that you want to put in there. the cornmeal base can carry just about any flavor from sweet to savory.

It is baked like a cake and cut in squares. It can be fried in hot oil or really old style the mixtured spooned into bacon fat.

As far as BBQ goes, I live in KC and the BBQ sucks IMO, I am not fond of the overly sweet sauces and everyone is going to the "BBQ Federation" standards whatever it is called, which is a bit to undercooked for my taste. I like the meat on a rib to cooked to the point it is about to fall off the bone. Texas and Southern BBQ's are more to my taste.

And then... Fried Okra

I grew up on fried okra and I am pretty particular about it, It is best if okra is fresh but more importantly, it must be pan fried and cooked until the cornmeal all a dark golden brown and just a bit black on the edges.

I have never had good fried okra at a restaurant.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 29 2011, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 29 2011, 03:37 PM)
Ahh why did i read this thread?  I was doing fine, my stomach wasnt complaining nor did I feel hungry.  But now?  Damn you Lost In Xanadu.

I havent bbq'd in a few weeks, I've been slacking off.  But I'm gearing up for a bbq/football weekend Oct 9th and I fully intend to make some 3-2-1 apple/cherrywood smoked ribs with a dry rub and finished with a mop of a vinegar-based sweet sauce.  Fall is the best time to smoke, IMO.  Followed immedately by every other time of year, of course

3-2-1... what do you mean there?

I like using apple and hickory for BBQ. Pretty much only use cherry for fish or chicken.

I usually rub the meat and refrigerate overnight. I have a water smoker and with BBQ I like putting water, apple juice and cider vinegar in there. With fish I use anything from white wine to just water and lemon.

My standard mop is apple cider, cider vinegar and canola oil.

Lost in Xanadu -

3-2-1 is just a basic bbq / smoking method that Ive found works really well for ribs. Its basically just 3 hours of smoke (200 degrees even) and then 2 hours in foil and then 1 hour uncovered for mopping / sauce. The variations on what you do in terms of rub/no rub, apple juice or vinegar spray, etc are all optional. The 3 hours is a good rule for smoking though and the foiling really keeps the moisture/flavor from the smoking in and makes it pull from the bones easily, the last stage is whateverr you like to do with sauce or mops.

Man o man... just made an 8lb brisket yesterday for a family dinner (5 adults, 5 kids) and there was almost nothing left. It was awesome. The more I do it, the better it gets and I learn something new from each time I do it.... gotta do one more before the end of the year smile.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 7 2011, 09:40 AM)
Man o man... just made an 8lb brisket yesterday for a family dinner (5 adults, 5 kids) and there was almost nothing left. It was awesome. The more I do it, the better it gets and I learn something new from each time I do it.... gotta do one more before the end of the year smile.gif

Just did another one this weekend. Mmmmmm

I did a pork shoulder a couple weeks ago. I am really getting good use out of the smoker this year!

Home Depot has a charcoal sale at the end of the year every year. You can get 2 20lb bags for $8. I bought 8 bags at the end of the year and only have 2 left. Tells you how mild the winter was here in WI.

My best experience with BBQ was with a restaurant in Lockhart, Texas called Kreuz Market. The restaurant is on Route 183 between Austin and San Antonio. I recommend the Brisket and Sausage both are so flavorful from the BBQ Pit you do not need sauce, also don't ask for forks. Food this simple only requires one's hands or several slices of Texas toast.