Clockwork Angels

FeelingUnlimited

With each passing day that Clockwork Angels is not released, it affirms my belief that this collection of songs is Rush's last studio album.

Unfortunately.

Still guessing that they will do an R40 Tour and then call it quits.

In fact it already seems like the guys have increasing interests that do not involve Rush.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Sep 19 2011, 12:29 PM)
A positive note for the 2 new songs - They sound great with a good stereo system, and high volume. They're not subject to the Vapor Trails curse of crackling/spitting. Hoping the whole album comes out sounding that nice.

I don't think they will make that mistake again. laugh.gif

It saddens me when people gotta be all doom and gloom about the band saying this will be the last album, and that it is taking way too long. Maybe it is the last album, and maybe it is taking too long, but as far as I'm concerned, the band is in better shape compared to other periods in their career. I think people are afraid of the status quo, which was the cycle of: album, tour, album tour, album, tour. Year after the other. Rush decided to do something different, to keep things a bit spontaneous. Release two songs from Clockwork Angels, and do the Time Machine Tour for '10 and '11.

There are many factors that point towards Rush having many more years in them. Did people forget about the record deal? A record company that focuses on a genre that Rush (currently) fits into, and really goes out of their way to promote bands. That's certainly a positive point, and that's just one example. People need to take things one step at a time, just like the band currently does. I think people just need to sit back, and wait. In the mean time, hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and most of all remember, anything can happen.

Also, in response to people's hate on BU2B, I don't get it. Is it the songwriting that irks people, or is it the lyrics? I think it's a nice, heavy song that helps set up a bigger story. If it is the lyrics that irk people, I don't get why. Neil writes his lyrics in a way where there are multiple meanings, and this song has that. I don't intend to step into Sense O'Clock territory, so I'll simply say that I don't interpret the lyrics as what the majority's consensus seems to be.

As always, in my humble and sincere opinion.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 19 2011, 01:56 PM)
It saddens me when people gotta be all doom and gloom about the band saying this will be the last album, and that it is taking way too long. Maybe it is the last album, and maybe it is taking too long, but as far as I'm concerned, the band is in better shape compared to other periods in their career. I think people are afraid of the status quo, which was the cycle of: album, tour, album tour, album, tour. Year after the other. Rush decided to do something different, to keep things a bit spontaneous. Release two songs from Clockwork Angels, and do the Time Machine Tour for '10 and '11.

There are many factors that point towards Rush having many more years in them. Did people forget about the record deal? A record company that focuses on a genre that Rush (currently) fits into, and really goes out of their way to promote bands. That's certainly a positive point, and that's just one example. People need to take things one step at a time, just like the band currently does. I think people just need to sit back, and wait. In the mean time, hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and most of all remember, anything can happen.

Also, in response to people's hate on BU2B, I don't get it. Is it the songwriting that irks people, or is it the lyrics? I think it's a nice, heavy song that helps set up a bigger story. If it is the lyrics that irk people, I don't get why. Neil writes his lyrics in a way where there are multiple meanings, and this song has that. I don't intend to step into Sense O'Clock territory, so I'll simply say that I don't interpret the lyrics as what the majority's consensus seems to be.

I've only ever really see Goobs bash it for it's lyrical meaning. Everyone else just seems to think the lyrics suck.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Sep 18 2011, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 16 2011, 05:46 PM)
Omit Caravan and BU2B? Are you crazy? Those are two of the best songs I've heard from them in a long time.

goodpost.gif

Oh yes, since Snakes and Arrows came out!

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 19 2011, 02:27 PM)

I've only ever really see Goobs bash it for it's lyrical meaning. Everyone else just seems to think the lyrics suck.

Well, the lyrics wasn't really directed at him. And I've read others dislike the context of the lyrics. I don't get why people would dislike the lyrics overall? I thought they were cleverly written. I don't know, maybe I'm just naive, lol.

QUOTE (RUDT @ Sep 19 2011, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Sep 18 2011, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 16 2011, 05:46 PM)
Omit Caravan and BU2B? Are you crazy? Those are two of the best songs I've heard from them in a long time.

goodpost.gif

Oh yes, since Snakes and Arrows came out!

To me Far Cry is the only song off SnA that can rival these two.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Sep 18 2011, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 18 2011, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 14 2011, 07:13 PM)
It would be all right with me if they bring the keys up even more in the mix next time on BU2B:)

Or better yet, dump the song entirely! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 16 2011, 07:46 PM)

Yes I'm crazy. Its widely known around these parts.

The point is those two songs are ancient now and its pointless to put them on the album since they are tired.

and for the record, Caravan is a great song, but BU2B is pretty lame.

Agreed. It sucks to know an album is going to be far less than perfect more than 2 years before its release because of that pain in the ass song.

To declare that an album will be "less than perfect" 2 years before it's released is pretty foolish. I'm sure the songs will be rerecorded with and not only will they sound different due to a new studio and new gear, I believe they will have more of the energy present on the last tour. I think it's best to hear the songs in context before deciding how that whole context will sound based of these samples.

Personally I'm looking forward to the new album and remaining hopeful that Rush will deliver yet another superb album..

Foolish? Unless they omit the song entirely or completely rewrite the lyrics, I already know I can't stand the song. Even if by some miracle the song in context is the absolute ideal scenario that I'd like it to be so it suddenly really works (pretty much impossible as Neil would have to have completely altered his views on reality), on its own I can't stand the song, and the song wasn't released in context, it was released on it's own. That's the only way I could take the song. The album is already less than perfect because of that song unless they leave it off. That's just the way it is for me, and no amount of clever verbal gymnastics will change that.

Also, Caravan is great musically, but lyrically I find it pretty uninspiring. A decent song, but the album going in has 1 1/2 strikes against it for me already. Even if every other song is say of Armor & Sword like quality, it still is already less than perfect in my eyes. I'm hoping for 2-3 great songs. Obviously I would love more than that, but even 2-3 might be optimistic. Only time will tell.

But call me foolish if you need to. I've been called worse. wink.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 19 2011, 12:27 PM)

Is there really a difference? tongue.gif

To me the lyrics are pretty crystal clear in their meaning, and I just don't like them.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Sep 19 2011, 05:58 PM)
RUSH SUCKS! 062802puke_prv.gif

NO THEY DON'T

I have to sort of agree with Goobs on BU2B. The lyrics bug me, but I do like the song. It is an odd dicotomy for me. I am a man of faith and yet when Geddy sings the line about our loving Watchmaker loving us all to death and the music drops out... man o man I love it. Actually I don't even see it as an atheist versus a believer type song. It is more like Neil Peart is yelling at God. That is not the work of a non believer. It is the work of a man that is angry at God. I've been there myself and I would hope to never presume what is in another man's heart. Judge not and all that...

It all boils down to the fact that Rush challenges us. Not many bands do that and we should be grateful that they are there nudging us out of our complacency.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 20 2011, 04:56 AM)
I have to sort of agree with Goobs on BU2B. The lyrics bug me, but I do like the song. It is an odd dicotomy for me. I am a man of faith and yet when Geddy sings the line about our loving Watchmaker loving us all to death and the music drops out... man o man I love it. Actually I don't even see it as an atheist versus a believer type song. It is more like Neil Peart is yelling at God. That is not the work of a non believer. It is the work of a man that is angry at God. I've been there myself and I would hope to never presume what is in another man's heart. Judge not and all that...

It all boils down to the fact that Rush challenges us. Not many bands do that and we should be grateful that they are there nudging us out of our complacency.

Interesting. I've not looked at this song like that. To me BU2B isn't about Neil's anger at God, although Ive not been in his position I've been angry at God myself. BU2B is about Neil's anger at blind faith. As I've said in an earlier thread, we've all seen how blind faith is a dangerous thing.

Similarly to Drbirdsong, I like and dislike this song at the same time. I find it has an energy about it. It seems to be a "frantic" song. Does that make sense? I can't put my finger on it.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Sep 20 2011, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 20 2011, 04:56 AM)
I have to sort of agree with Goobs on BU2B.  The lyrics bug me, but I do like the song.  It is an odd dicotomy for me.  I am a man of faith and yet when Geddy sings the line about our loving Watchmaker loving us all to death and the music drops out... man o man I love it.  Actually I don't even see it as an atheist versus a believer type song.  It is more like Neil Peart is yelling at God.  That is not the work of a non believer.  It is the work of a man that is angry at God.  I've been there myself and I would hope to never presume what is in another man's heart.  Judge not and all that... 

It all boils down to the fact that Rush challenges us.  Not many bands do that and we should be grateful that they are there nudging us out of our complacency.

Interesting. I've not looked at this song like that. To me BU2B isn't about Neil's anger at God, although Ive not been in his position I've been angry at God myself. BU2B is about Neil's anger at blind faith. As I've said in an earlier thread, we've all seen how blind faith is a dangerous thing.

Similarly to Drbirdsong, I like and dislike this song at the same time. I find it has an energy about it. It seems to be a "frantic" song. Does that make sense? I can't put my finger on it.

I just took another look at it and I think you are closer than I was. NP has never been a fan of blind faith. I just wonder why he is so mad about it. A lot of folks have that attitude. I guess if they accept that God really exists then they might also have to except everything that goes along with that. I honestly doubt NP would have a lot to worry about, it's not like he's spent his life being a terrible person.

I think the reason that BU2B is likeable is that it rocks and Geddy sells the lyrics whether I like them or not. It's good Rush and good Rush is quality.

BU2B doesn't seem too "wide open for interpretation". I agree that it sounds like Neil yelling about god. Maybe after thirteen years of his ex-wife being gone, he still has resentment to any higher power, at all.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Sep 20 2011, 06:42 PM)
BU2B doesn't seem too "wide open for interpretation". I agree that it sounds like Neil yelling about god. Maybe after thirteen years of his ex-wife being gone, he still has resentment to any higher power, at all.

and Child. My father and I are the same way about my mother having cancer. (And myself for those of you who know about my condition.)

We yell at shit all the time, because it isn't right. God is an asshole, a non-exsistant asshole.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 20 2011, 07:46 PM)

and Child. My father and I are the same way about my mother having cancer. (And myself for those of you who know about my condition.)

We yell at shit all the time, because it isn't right. God is an asshole, a non-exsistant asshole.

Your calling something you don't believe exists names? Well all righty then.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 20 2011, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 20 2011, 07:46 PM)

Your calling something you don't believe exists names? Well all righty then.

The idea exists! The idea is an asshole!