1. 1. Do you fear dying?

• Yes
    • No
    • Soup

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing happens after death. no one has ever existed. nothing has. once your dead it never happened. a few trillion years from now the universe will be just sub atomic particles here and there. all the energy in the universe will have exhausted. a dead universe of nothing. black holes included. takes a long time but will happen. when the sun uses up all it's energy it will engulf mercury, venus and maybe earth. the moon will loose it's orbit around earth in a few billion years also. about an inch or so a year it moves away. humans want to know how it all got here. it just did. nothing started all this. there's no god either. what can you possibly do forever. infinity is a very long time folks. you don't live on a planet for certain time frame, die, then live forever in some other form. makes no sense. dying is a very scary thing when you think about it. if i had a choice i would like to live forever in some other form. just hope there is contrast. can't feel good without knowing what bad is. the only way to comprehend living forever is just one moment with no movement. a singularity. live it up while you are alive. i'm off to see incubus. back stage passes tonight.

I think fearing death is understandable. I've never died before! I don't know what it's like. I don't know how bad dying will hurt...I don't know how long it will take for me to die. I don't know whether I'll die because of a mistake I made, or because of a disease I got, or because some jerk decided to drive drunk, or because someone else thought it would be awesome to stab me or shoot me in the face. Chances are, I'll either die from cancer, or we'll all die in a nuclear war. I'd like to say I'll die peacefully of old age, but not too many people get to do that anymore..

So yeah I fear death, but the death is only part of it. I fear not having a full life. So that's what I'm focusing on, instead of worrying about dying. I know I'll die, but I don't know when. I know I'm living right now, though.

Yep.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 10 2011, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (Inthend @ Sep 10 2011, 12:23 AM)
This reminds me, anyone heard about D3strukt?
He was the one having tests on his stomach.

I hope he's alright. Sounded serious, let's hope it isn't!

This thread is about death, maybe not the best place to discuss wacko.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 10 2011, 07:49 AM)
I think the result of this poll is not accurate. People can say one thing but if you were told you would die tomorrow, you would feel fear. Every last one of you.

Well tick-san, you asked if we were "afraid of dying" not "afraid of dying tomorrow." Everybody knows they're going to die but I'd guess there are many that never really think about it because: a) they're very young, b ) they don't see the point in fearing it since they don't even know when it'll happen, c) they've never experienced death so the idea of it is too alien, d) it's just too depressing to think about let alone fear.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 11 2011, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 10 2011, 07:49 AM)
I think the result of this poll is not accurate. People can say one thing but if you were told you would die tomorrow, you would feel fear. Every last one of you.

Well tick-san, you asked if we were "afraid of dying" not "afraid of dying tomorrow." Everybody knows they're going to die but I'd guess there are many that never really think about it because: a) they're very young, b ) they don't see the point in fearing it since they don't even know when it'll happen, c) they've never experienced death so the idea of it is too alien, d) it's just too depressing to think about let alone fear.

I guess my point was its easy to say, no, I don't fear death. The bottom line is, its easy to say you don't fear something your not squarely faced with at the moment.

Also, when I say fear, I don't really mean a crippling type of dread that haunts your daily existence. I more so mean that uneasy, uncomfortable feeling that your brain feels when you ponder the thought of the end of your mortality.

No one should live in fear of something you can't control. I just think when we all ponder our end in private moments, its something we don't like to ponder all that long.

Edited by tick

Do I fear death itself? No. I won't know about or be able to fear anything anymore at that point (that sounds kinda nice, I hate to say it).

Do I fear what my death would do to my family? Somewhat. I have no kids, and am pretty much a loner, so there's no children and not too many friends to pine. My family and boyfriend are all significantly older than I am, so while they'd be sad, it wouldn't be for too long. I do feel bad for my poor mother who will have to clean all the junk out of here and settle my finances. That's why I'm leaving my little bit of money to her; she should be paid to do this. Plus the money would help take care of my cats.

Do I fear running out of time in life? Yeah. There's a lot I'd love to do, and it takes so long just to afford to do one thing.

If I knew I was going to die tomorrow, would I be scared? Heck no!!! I'd eat whatever I want, spend money and not worry about any of it for the first time ever, including some long-overdue gifts to charity, look at the pile of bills and laugh, write up who gets what, say awesome goodbyes to people, basically just do whatever I want (as long as it doesn't hurt others) and not have to worry about the negative consequences, like I do every waking minute of every day in life. The only thing that would be bad is knowing I'd never see Rush again, and that my triumvirate of dreams of meeting them, having something signed by them, and being front row for one of their shows will never come true. That wouldn't be scary, it'd be SAD. None of those'll probably happen anyway, but life allows me the delusion of thinking they could.

I have accepted the fact that I will die one day, I just hope I die with my boots on.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 11 2011, 07:46 PM)
I have accepted the fact that I will die one day, I just hope I die with my boots on.

count me out. I don't think the ladies in my sig like boots and I know how I want to go tongue.gif .

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 9 2011, 02:52 PM)
"To live like you were dyin'."

I have witnessed and been inspired by someone who had everything coming his way, no financial worries in the world and his only love in life was his partner.

He was presented with his own death in the form of cancer. He overcame though desire. Now he lives each day to the fullest. He sings and dances like no one is watching and feels life to the fullest every single day. He doesn't sweat the small stuff. I am thankful to be a witness.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2011, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2011, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2011, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 01:32 PM)
I am not afraid of dying, but I want to go peacefully when it is my time.

If your time was next week would it change your answer?

Why would it?

I would think for the fear of those you love not being with you anymore.

I guess for me its not really the act of dying that scares me but not being apart of my wife and daughters world anymore. Not seeing her become an adult and how her life turns out. The fear of the trauma it will cause her to grow up without the dad she deeply loves. The same goes for my wife, having to move on with the love of her life.. This is really what I fear.

What I fear even more is me living if something were to happen to them and I had to go on without them. That scares me to death.

Live for today. Live today like those things may happen. Life is what it is. Fear prevents you from feeling life.

Fear doesn't prevent me from anything as far as fear of death goes. I'm just conversing about a topic I find interesting. Just because something enters my thoughts it doesn't mean I am crippled in fear by it. I don't wake up thinking, oh my god, I hope I don't die today.

I am merely saying the thought of being separated from my family is something that enters my thoughts form time to time. I'm only human. We all have these types of things when we ponder stuff when we are in our alone moments.

My opinion...Life is selfish. We don't actually live for others, as noble as it sounds. We live for ourselves. If we didn't, we would have died long ago.

Death it'self doesn't scare me...it's HOW I might die that scares me. If I were to know that when I die, it will be peacefully, pain-less, and/or quick - then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now if I were to find out that my means of dying would be due to, say, a car accident - and I end up suffering and bleeding to death, completely aware the entire time - THAT terrifies me ph34r.gif

Scary thing is, we just DON'T KNOW how we will kick the bucket in the end. ANYTHING. Especially if I were die NOW, and have my 10-month-old son grow up, not really knowing his father. That really scares me, too.

Everything about it scares me rigid - how, when.., it's in my thoughts most times - sometimes when I'm on my own, I think about death too much and I panic. I know we will all die at some point, but it literally terrifies me.

to be honest it does not cross my mind on a daily basis,, really the only time i think about it is when im on my motorcycle... but that just keeps me focused

I don't really fear it. It doesn't all turn to blackness

and nothingness, when we die....I'll explain.

In Feb. of 78, I had a near-death experience.

I O.d.'d on drugs, ( a school "friend" laced a BIG bomber

of ty-stick,extremely potent homegrown, with PCP and LSD)

and I left my body..for a very brief time.

I remember floating to the ceiling of my room and looking

back at my body lying on my bed..I then floated thru the

ceiling and roof of my house, and then very quickly, I was

floating into space, then out into the solar system,passing

planets...where I was then stopped by a voice ( I believe it was either

God or an angel ) who said, "you must go back...It's not

your time" That's all he said. I said okay, and immediately, I was

back in my body...It must've been not more then 30-40 secs.

total time.We all have an appointed time..like the good book says.

Amen.

Anyway, there is life after death..I can guarantee ya.

It was AWESOME floatin' thru the universe, and passing planets!!

I only wish I could've kept goin'! To be honest, I didn't really want to

go back...

I was literally dead on my bed...so it wasn't a dream

or an hallucination at all.

It really strengthened my belief in both

God and Jesus (I'm a christian) and the afterlife..BIG time.

Life is never-ending..its just a new beginning..that's all.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

Don't fear it Babycat...eternal life is AWESOME!!

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Sep 12 2011, 01:55 AM)
I don't really fear it. It doesn't all turn to blackness
and nothingness, when we die....I'll explain.

In Feb. of 78, I had a near-death experience.

I O.d.'d on drugs, ( a school "friend" laced a BIG bomber
of ty-stick,extremely potent homegrown, with PCP and LSD)
and I left my body..for a very brief time.

I remember floating to the ceiling of my room and looking
back at my body lying on my bed..I then floated thru the
ceiling and roof of my house, and then very quickly, I was
floating into space, then out into the solar system,passing
planets...where I was then stopped by a voice ( I believe it was either
God or an angel ) who said, "you must go back...It's not
your time" That's all he said. I said okay, and immediately, I was
back in my body...It must've been not more then 30-40 secs.
total time.We all have an appointed time..like the good book says.
Amen.

Anyway, there is life after death..I can guarantee ya.
It was AWESOME floatin' thru the universe, and passing planets!!
I only wish I could've kept goin'! To be honest, I didn't really want to
go back...

I was literally dead on my bed...so it wasn't a dream
or an hallucination at all.
It really strengthened my belief in both
God and Jesus (I'm a christian) and the afterlife..BIG time.

Life is never-ending..its just a new beginning..that's all.

That is a mind blowing story.

What is really cool to do - is get to get really really stoned then think to yourself...."holy f**k....I'm gonna DIE!!!!!"

Remember folks, life is just that little hyphen they put on your gravestone in between the years you lived.