Fear Of Dying

Tick

Do you fear dying?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fear dying?

• Yes
    • No
    • Soup

I fear how it will happen. You just don't know when.

I had surgery a while back. If I had died on the table I wouldn't know. They inject anesthesia in the drip and tell you to count or tell a story and you're out - you would never know you had gone...does that make any sense?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the surgery thing can be scary. you never know. could be your own chemistry that goes wrong or the anesthesiologist screws up. had the appendix out a few years back and thought of that. i wanted a spinal tap like women get in labor but the surgeon said nope. you have to be out and very relaxed. it was a breeze really. common001.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Sep 12 2011, 07:20 AM)
you were on drugs guy. your mind created that story. people have dreams like that all the time. floating into space and something saying not your time. good gawd! cool10.gif

This was a common experience in the 60-70's....

Where have you been??? Look up out-of-body-experience

on yahoo...and get educated.

My soul left my body..my mind did not. My mind was

as dead as my body,so it wasn't my imagination.......

I don't care if you believe me or not...does'nt change

a frickin' thing..I know what happened,what I saw,

and what I heard..were you there?? HE*L NO!

Don't make judgement's on something,

you obviously don't understand.....

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Sep 12 2011, 07:23 PM)
you were on drugs guy. your mind created that story. people have dreams like that all the time. floating into space and something saying not your time. good gawd!  cool10.gif

Screw him, I believe you.

Stephen Hawking has a quote about this...

"I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do. I regard the brain as a computer that will stop working when its components fail."

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Sep 13 2011, 08:23 AM)
you were on drugs guy. your mind created that story. people have dreams like that all the time. floating into space and something saying not your time. good gawd!  cool10.gif

I think it's a reasonable conclusion to say that the mix of PCP and LSD (at least) might've caused that experience. But at the same time, I wouldn't belittle your understanding of that experience. To me, the point that you were moved and accepted it as truth seems more important than the incident itself.

I also came within five hours of death when I first got sick 13 years ago. I too had a dream at the time where there was nothing but white all around me and I heard a voice saying, "It's not your time, you have to go back". But I don't know whether there was anything supernatural about it. Maybe there was; I don't think I've lived my life in such a way that I won't approach such a possibility in a badly prepared manner should there be "something beyond". Still, I also have to consider that that dream was all a construct of what little was left of my mind at that point; it was something I was aware of, while in death, I may be unaware of anything.

One thing is for sure; I knew that there was more that I needed to do in life. I still don't know if I've done it or not, if it's one thing or several, if I'll ever know, if I'll die right after I've done it, if it's something ordinary or extraordinary, etc. etc. I just know that I should keep myself ready for any opportunity. I've had a reminder to make something of my life that not everyone has had. Will I succeed? Dunno. Maybe I haven't, and that's why I'm still alive.

I still feel that the biggest way we live on is in others' memories, of how we've affected the timeline, etc. etc.

One movie I found interesting on this subject (how on's life affects the unfolding of events) was The Butterfly Effect. Anyone ever seen it? Beware though, the ending is tragic. I'm more optimistic than that...I know, I'm not very optimistic, but I'm more optimistic than that.

QUOTE (shail @ Sep 12 2011, 06:22 PM)
the surgery thing can be scary. you never know. could be your own chemistry that goes wrong or the anesthesiologist screws up. had the appendix out a few years back and thought of that. i wanted a spinal tap like women get in labor but the surgeon said nope. you have to be out and very relaxed. it was a breeze really.  common001.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Sep 12 2011, 06:14 PM)
I fear how it will happen. You just don't know when.

I had surgery a while back. If I had died on the table I wouldn't know. They inject anesthesia in the drip and tell you to count or tell a story and you're out - you would never know you had gone...does that make any sense?

Gee, I'm sure glad I came in and read these posts seeing as how I am having surgery this Friday.

This week keeps getting worse every day.

I am living throguh one of my greatest fears right now regarding one of my kids.

Your soul left your dying body. That just sounds way loony. You said it was common in the 60 and 70's. What about thousands of years before and after for that matter. Did this god creature decide to start giving people a second chance during the heavy drug era? WTF. How can a creature who exists in a time that never ends intervene in our time. It's very impossible. It's just scary that lots of people on this planet believe in life after death and believe that there is this god person. Loonies!

QUOTE (shail @ Sep 13 2011, 08:50 AM)
Your soul left your dying body. That just sounds way loony. You said it was common in the 60 and 70's. What about thousands of years before and after for that matter. Did this god creature decide to start giving people a second chance during the heavy drug era? WTF. How can a creature who exists in a time that never ends intervene in our time. It's very impossible. It's just scary that lots of people on this planet believe in life after death and believe that there is this god person. Loonies!

Is it really necessary to leave your jerk-stain on this thread? How about leaving your colorful judgements outta here. This ain't SOCN.

QUOTE (shail @ Sep 13 2011, 07:50 AM)

I guarantee you're going to find out one day, one way or the other.

I could go right now, tonight, this morning whenever...

It's not dying I'm afraid of, it's how I go, like is there massive pain involved, a slow debilitating demise, a humiliation by a gang of torturing teenagers, gutshot in an alley in agony for hours??

Also the moment of your death, the instant before it arrives, before you're sure that it's over, that might be a fearful moment.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 14 2011, 10:24 AM)
I'm a lot more afraid of your lying

1 point!