Fear Of Dying

Tick

Do you fear dying?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fear dying?

• Yes
    • No
    • Soup

When I think about my demise I have different feelings each time. At times I feel like I'm not afraid to die. Other times the thought of it makes me uneasy and a little fearful.

Whether you believe in a God, a Heaven, or a Hell, or just eternal darkness, we all don't know for certain what awaits us after were gone.

I guess in the end the thing I fear the most is being separated from my wife and daughter. Not seeing my daughter grow up, who will be 11 in 3 days probably gives me the most anxiety.

This topic is on my mind because a friend of my wife's who was 45 years old man(a year younger then myself) died last week from brain cancer. She said he was an always upbeat positive person. He battled hard but he lost his fight last week leaving behind a devastated 10 year son who was his dads best friend. Its his only child who he was raising as a single parent.

The thought of his son losing his dad is making me extremely sad.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not afraid of dying, but I want to go peacefully when it is my time.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 01:32 PM)

If your time was next week would it change your answer?

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2011, 02:11 PM)

Why would it?

I fear aging badly more than I do dying. I do not want to end up drooling and incontinent in a nursing home somewhere.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 9 2011, 02:15 PM)
I fear aging badly more than I do dying. I do not want to end up drooling and incontinent in a nursing home somewhere.

Advances in medicine will assure more live to see this. Our lifespans are increasing and we can't stop it as long as people cling to life or holding on to loved ones (life support) and interfering with nature. I am a DNR.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 02:12 PM)

Why would it?

I would think for the fear of those you love not being with you anymore.

I guess for me its not really the act of dying that scares me but not being apart of my wife and daughters world anymore. Not seeing her become an adult and how her life turns out. The fear of the trauma it will cause her to grow up without the dad she deeply loves. The same goes for my wife, having to move on with the love of her life.. This is really what I fear.

What I fear even more is me living if something were to happen to them and I had to go on without them. That scares me to death.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2011, 02:38 PM)

Why would it?

I guess for me its not really the act of dying that scares me but not being apart of my wife and daughters world anymore. Not seeing her become an adult and how her life turns out. The fear of the trauma it will cause her to grow up without the dad she deeply loves. The same goes for my wife, having to move on with the love of her life.. This is really what I fear.

What I fear even more is me living if something were to happen to them and I had to go on without them. That scares me to death.

Live for today. Live today like those things may happen. Life is what it is. Fear prevents you from feeling life.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 9 2011, 02:15 PM)
I fear aging badly more than I do dying.  I do not want to end up drooling and incontinent in a nursing home somewhere.

Advances in medicine will assure more live to see this. Our lifespans are increasing and we can't stop it as long as people cling to life or holding on to loved ones (life support) and interfering with nature. I am a DNR.

Yes, and the mentality of the medical community is such that anything is better than a dead patient. So they keep you alive but with a severely reduced quality of life. Who cares if you live to be 90 if you spend the last ten years in a hospital bed. Better to die at 80.

I am not necessarily scared of death, but of what comes after. Although I an a Catholic, I still have my doubts. One of my greatest fears is the prospect that my life is worth nothing. I don't know how to describe it, but when I think of memories, I feel like they have no meaning or they don't matter. I am often mad that I can't exactly remember the details and I am just mortified by the fact that they don't directly affect my life. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's one of biggest fears. I actually try actively to stop thinking about that whenever it comes up in my mind.

So, back to the OP, yes, I do fear death. Like i said, I mainly fear that my life has meant nothing and I don't know what will happen next. I am actually afraid that when I die, my soul or mind or whatever, will be just floating around in a black void. Either that or I will just cease to exist and will slowly be forgotten. And of course I fear that I will die painfully or not with family.

Just thinking about has gotten me scared. scared.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2011, 02:38 PM)

Why would it?

Live for today. Live today like those things may happen. Life is what it is. Fear prevents you from feeling life.

Fear doesn't prevent me from anything as far as fear of death goes. I'm just conversing about a topic I find interesting. Just because something enters my thoughts it doesn't mean I am crippled in fear by it. I don't wake up thinking, oh my god, I hope I don't die today.

I am merely saying the thought of being separated from my family is something that enters my thoughts form time to time. I'm only human. We all have these types of things when we ponder stuff when we are in our alone moments.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2011, 12:19 PM)
When I think about my demise I have different feelings each time. At times I feel like I'm not afraid to die. Other times the thought of it makes me uneasy and a little fearful.
Whether you believe in a God, a Heaven, or a Hell, or just eternal darkness, we all don't know for certain what awaits us after were gone.

I agree. One of the most interesting things to think about and one that i seem to think of more frequently the older i get.

I don't really fear death, in that I mean the moment of death or dying. I feel confident that I will pass out from the trama that I am dying, so that part doesn't bother me too much. It's where I go is what I think about. I don't want to be a ghost. They generally don't seem happy. I'd like to think I'd meet my loved ones and I would understand the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything, and that my mind would be sufficiently expanded to not have my "brain" explode upon knowing all. And it would be cool if to see God, or gods. I don't agree with Stephen Hawking on that. But, er, ahh.. yeah. Soup.

QUOTE (Draco @ Sep 9 2011, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 9 2011, 10:37 AM)
I'm probably being ridiculous, but I'm scared s***less of dying...

No. You're not being ridiculous. I feel the exact same way.

hug2.gif hug2.gif

I think the result of this poll is not accurate. People can say one thing but if you were told you would die tomorrow, you would feel fear. Every last one of you. Edited by tick

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 9 2011, 06:33 PM)
you are going to die. possibly today. maybe tomorrow, but you will definitely die. Accept this. Don't worry about it. Enjoy your time.

yes.gif

I'm not afraid of it either. It's something that's inevitable and honestly I don't think about it at all. It will happen when it happens and there's nothing you can do to change that so why worry about it?

What i'm more curious about is what exactly happens when you die and the moments following it? It's a mystery, nobody who's experienced that has ever been able to tell us.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 9 2011, 04:33 PM)
you are going to die. possibly today. maybe tomorrow, but you will definitely die. Accept this. Don't worry about it. Enjoy your time.

yes.gif

The only thing I'm afraid of is pain or dying due to something I fear (like crashing off a mountain road).

But after...? Look, we all have our own ideas of that and I believe that is what will happen: each of us will "go" where we believe we will go. So there is no reason to obsess over it. We'll never get out of this alive so LIVE.