I think RUSH may be getting lazy creative wise

cooper77

I'll just post some observations. First of all, I do not blame them for making a buck with that said:

1. Another concert dvd (possible album?). Remember the every 4 album days? Basically same stuff rehashed. R30 last RUSH DVD I purchased.

2. Is this Time Machine album going to get made? I know there was the single last year...but I'm worn out with the whole Time Machine deal. Almost two years hearing about this

3. Neil's latest book is just a copy of his blog in book form. Yes I purchased and read. The first Neil book to where I felt a little ripped off

4. I hope Neil's new DVD will not be just another comp set (did I mention a new ICON RUSH collection?)

I'm sure that CA will be released sometime next year. They are getting old and Neil has a young daughter so I'd imagine that they'd want to take their time. Plus, this is likely going to be their last album so they want to make it as good as they can. Even though I wish that the album was released sooner, you can't blame them.

I don't see anything wrong with releasing a bunch of DVDs and live albums. They know that many Rush fans love that kind of stuff and will buy anything they release. Its a good way for them to make some money while the fans have the option to buy the live albums. No one has to buy them; if you don't want another live album then just don't buy it. Its not like they're repackaging stuff and deceiving fans, which they would never do. Same goes for Neil's book, which was advertised as a collection of his blogs and new material.

QUOTE (cooper77 @ Sep 7 2011, 07:03 PM)
I'll just post some observations. First of all, I do not blame them for making a buck with that said:

1. Another concert dvd (possible album?). Remember the every 4 album days? Basically same stuff rehashed. R30 last RUSH DVD I purchased.

2. Is this Time Machine album going to get made? I know there was the single last year...but I'm worn out with the whole Time Machine deal. Almost two years hearing about this

3. Neil's latest book is just a copy of his blog in book form. Yes I purchased and read. The first Neil book to where I felt a little ripped off

4. I hope Neil's new DVD will not be just another comp set (did I mention a new ICON RUSH collection?)

I think they release concert DVDs because they can. Why not? There are a ton of Rush concert bootlegs out there, let Rush throw an official release out there. Like you implied, if you don't want it, don't buy it.

There is no Time Machine album, there was a Time Machine tour. Rush is working on the Clockwork Angels album.

I'm not a fan of Neil Peart's writing. But, plenty of writers release books comprised of past articles and blogs. It happens all the time.

I'm guessing Neil Peart's new DVD will be another instructional DVD. But Neil Peart sucks, so the DVD will probably suck. There are too many better drummers out there for Neil Peart to matter much these days.

So, do I think Rush is getting lazy creative wise? Nope.

b_sigh.gif Hardly worth it, but I'm bored.

QUOTE (cooper77 @ Sep 7 2011, 06:03 PM)

They won't be around that much longer, so I'll gladly buy a DVD of every tour. I would also buy DVDs of shows in my city, if available. If only we had DVDs of the Rush, FBN, CoS, 2112, AFTK, H, and PeW tours.

QUOTE (cooper77 @ Sep 7 2011, 06:03 PM)
2. Is this Time Machine album going to get made?

rofl3.gif

And we get it, Neil Sucks. beathorse.gif

Why does this remind me of a reani14 thread? tongue.gif

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 7 2011, 06:19 PM)

I think they release concert DVDs because they can. Why not? There are a ton of Rush concert bootlegs out there, let Rush throw an official release out there. Like you implied, if you don't want it, don't buy it.

There is no Time Machine album, there was a Time Machine tour. Rush is working on the Clockwork Angels album.

I'm not a fan of Neil Peart's writing. But, plenty of writers release books comprised of past articles and blogs. It happens all the time.

I'm guessing Neil Peart's new DVD will be another instructional DVD. But Neil Peart sucks, so the DVD will probably suck. There are too many better drummers out there for Neil Peart to matter much these days.

Neil Peart sucks? C'mon man....he may not be the greatest in the world technique wise but he is still world class and super creative and the most inspirational rock drummer of all time. He inspired a whole generation or two with his unique, creative style and you want to dog on him. I'll take creativity and style(mixed with chops) over technique any day. And when it comes to mixing those three elements Neil is right up there towards the top.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 7 2011, 08:03 PM)

Neil Peart sucks? C'mon man....he may not be the greatest in the world technique wise but he is still world class and super creative and the most inspirational rock drummer of all time. He inspired a whole generation or two with his unique, creative style and you want to dog on him. I'll take creativity and style(mixed with chops) over technique any day. And when it comes to mixing those three elements Neil is right up there towards the top.

I was being sarcastic!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 7 2011, 08:08 PM)

I was being sarcastic!

To be fair, those who know you know you were being sarcastic. But to a newbie, you can see how they might take you seriously.

And yeah, cooper77, have you met Reani14? tongue.gif

Think about it....20 years back it was a major deal to record and film a concert..now it's easy as hell so they can release stuff! I agree that with the amount of boots out there, the back SHOULD make a buck on live stuff! I'll buy it regardless because 99% of the time you get some behind the scenes goodies! Truthfully, I haven't sat and watched one of the DVD concerts the whole way through...I usually just watch the goodies! Edited by Jaminbenb

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2011, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 7 2011, 08:08 PM)

I was being sarcastic!

To be fair, those who know you know you were being sarcastic. But to a newbie, you can see how they might take you seriously.

And yeah, cooper77, have you met Reani14? tongue.gif

Newbie? You calling me a newbie? I've been on this forum a long time now. I guess I just read his post a little fast and reacted:)

1. A new live DVD isn't bad, considering this might be the only time the band performs "Moving Pictures" in full. Things like "Rio" and "R30" were pretty much needed (though "S&A Live" wasn't up to the same calibre).

2. It's pretty much known that we'll get "Clockwork Angels" next year, so yes, this Time Machine business is just about over.

3. I couldn't say anything on this point, as I don't read Neil's work often (seems a bit long winded).

4. When it comes to instructional videos, Neil has never disappointed me. The new "Icon" compilation isn't really up to the band in this case, but it's a record company decision.

It's not being lazy. Look at a lot of other bands who have been around 30 plus years, they don't come out with new stuff every two years because they're well established. More importantly, they're older and don't have the energy, time in their personal lives and desire to do album/tour/album/tour ect, all the time now.

I don't mind that they release a live album/DVD after each tour since VT. It's a great way for the band and the fans to have the show they did for each tour documented forever. Also, not everyone gets a chance or can afford to see them every tour, so live releases are a good and much cheaper way for some to see the show they couldn't see.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I'll never forget getting the brand spanking new VHS of ESL, and watching it, and then coming to the realization that the drum solo was not shown on the video. I was so angry, I almost balled up my members only jacket around my pet rock and threw it behind my LPs!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 7 2011, 06:03 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Sep 7 2011, 07:17 PM)
Think about it....20 years back it was a major deal to record and film a concert..now it's easy as hell so they can release stuff! I agree that with the amount of boots out there, the back SHOULD make a buck on live stuff! I'll buy it regardless because 99% of the time you get some behind the scenes goodies! Truthfully, I haven't sat and watched one of the DVD concerts the whole way through...I usually just watch the goodies!

It's all much easier to record a Live performance now than before, Everything is digital! You don't have to drag millions of analog equiptment around to record a live concert. So if they can do it, by all menas do it!

2.gif

The tech is out there to give fans recordings of the shows as they're walking out the door. I forget the name of the company, but there is someone out there that artists can contract with that will record the show as it's being played and as soon as the last song is done, they'll transfer the recordings en masse to hundreds of USB sticks. As the first batch is being sold, they whip up another in a matter of minutes.

How awesome would it be to hit a Rush show and have them offer you a recording of it for say, ten bucks, on your way out? Hell, I'd pay $20 if the files were uncompressed.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 8 2011, 10:29 AM)
I'll never forget getting the brand spanking new VHS of ESL, and watching it, and then coming to the realization that the drum solo was not shown on the video. I was so angry, I almost balled up my members only jacket around my pet rock and threw it behind my LPs!

laugh.gif

2.gif are a bunch of lazy asses

all washed up

Dry creatively

Terrible live act

This band is a studio band

z7shysterical.gif

Buying Rush DVD's and CD's doesn't mean you own these guys. They have private lives beside the business, and after thousands of great performances and numerous studio albums, they deserve their (creative) breaks!

Rumour has it that the 'Roadrunner Deal' contains two (!!!) new albums. So we get one more after the long awaited 'Clockwork Angels'.

I for one love every DVD release. It's a great way to relive the memories of some fantastic shows. (Still hoping for full versions of older performances).

I WANT a DVD release for every tour... why not?

I hope they'll release some old DVD as Signals or GUP, and I'm going to buy it...

I hope they'll release on CD every tour, they have soundboards of everyone... smile.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 7 2011, 10:29 PM)
The tech is out there to give fans recordings of the shows as they're walking out the door. I forget the name of the company, but there is someone out there that artists can contract with that will record the show as it's being played and as soon as the last song is done, they'll transfer the recordings en masse to hundreds of USB sticks. As the first batch is being sold, they whip up another in a matter of minutes.

How awesome would it be to hit a Rush show and have them offer you a recording of it for say, ten bucks, on your way out? Hell, I'd pay $20 if the files were uncompressed.

They did that at an Allman Brothers show I attended a few years back. Gov't Mule has "Mule Tracks" and you can get the show within a week or two. These two bands play lot's of different stuff night after night.

Bands like Rush tend to play the exact setlist night to night and except for a few diehards, and those that want a souvenir of THAT performance, it doesn't seem like something you'd ever see them do although it WOULD be cool to walk out of the show with a good sounding recording! (they burnt discs, not USB sticks!)

But, it's so easy to do this anymore you'd think that more bands would jump on the band wagon!

Edited by Jaminbenb

QUOTE (cooper77 @ Sep 8 2011, 06:25 AM)
As I said, I don't blame them. For me, just too much. And yes, I have a choice to avoid and I do.I just hope the RUSH machine does not get like the whole Elvis business model. Very saturated

It won't because Rush is nowhere close to being as popular as Elvis. You've got nothing to worry about there.

I can remember years ago when I wished they would put out more videos and live releases. They are doing that now and then we got Beyond The Lighted Stage. Is Rush getting lazy? No, they are getting older and near to the age when most human beings tend to start thinking about the last phase of their life and how they want to live it. Rush fans, on the other hand, remain an impatient lot. Not singling anyone out here, I am among the impatient fans myself, but I try to practice patience.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 7 2011, 10:29 PM)
The tech is out there to give fans recordings of the shows as they're walking out the door.

I don't know why Rush doesn't do this. I went to a KMFDM concert a couple of weeks ago and they were selling codes to download any show on the tour for $10 per show. Had to wait about a week for all the shows to get posted but I downloaded my show a couple of days ago and it was great. I would buy the soundboard recording of any show I went to for $10 easy but this option is hardly ever offered. Kind of strange when you think that getting $10 per concertgoer interested in this has got be a higher gross than what they get from the sale of a DVD.