Face Up

Nate2112

Face Up

the lyrics: terrible (they're even more terrible if you start comparing them to most of Neil's other work)

the music: terrible (those horrid country twangs Alex implies during the verse are cringe-worthy)

the production: terrible (Rupert knew what he was doing with The Fixx, but he shaped Rush into a weird, sterile, robotic mockery of themselves - almost unforgivable)

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 2 2011, 10:26 AM)
Face Up

the lyrics: terrible (they're even more terrible if you start comparing them to most of Neil's other work)

the music: terrible (those horrid country twangs Alex implies during the verse are cringe-worthy)

the production: terrible (Rupert knew what he was doing with The Fixx, but he shaped Rush into a weird, sterile, robotic mockery of themselves - almost unforgivable)

yes.gif

Never liked that or Hand Over Fist.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 2 2011, 11:40 AM)
Face Up

yes.gif

ohmy.gif Hand Over Fist is a GREAT song! Although I will say it's the only song on Presto that I don't like the mix. (sound quality) confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 2 2011, 02:50 PM)
Face Up

yes.gif

ohmy.gif Hand Over Fist is a GREAT song! Although I will say it's the only song on Presto that I don't like the mix. (sound quality) confused13.gif

music.gif Hand over fist music.gif paper around the stone music.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Sep 2 2011, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 2 2011, 02:50 PM)
Face Up

yes.gif

music.gif Hand over fist music.gif paper around the stone music.gif

music.gif Scissors cut the paper, cut the paper to the bone 1022.gif

I REALLY hated this album when it came out. I was a freshman in high school. I was so disappointed by the almost light rock nature of the album. Some of those songs you could hear right between Billy Joel and Elton John on a soft rock station.

But after like 1000 listens I finally started to like it. There's some good songs on it. Most of which dont really contain anything that I originally loved about this band, but I still think it's a decent album. Love the cover art.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 2 2011, 09:26 AM)

yes.gif

The production on RTB improved from Presto, but sadly the songwriting dropped off a bit. tongue.gif There's not really a bad song on Presto (still don't get the hate for Superconductor?), but RTB has three pretty weak tracks.

Luckily, they rebounded big time with CP. 1022.gif I don't know what was going on with Presto/RTB, but even from the opening moments of CP it seems like a weight was lifted off Rush's shoulders.

My cover band played a few corporate events where we were told "don't play too hard" or "try to hold back a bit." This is the impression I get from the Rupert Era, especially Presto, like Rupert was telling Rush to restrain themselves in their playing. confused13.gif This plus the thin, trebly sounds on P/RTB was not a great combo. eh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 1 2011, 04:40 PM)
Love it. There is something about Roll The Bones I really like. Neil was real introspective on this record with songs like Bravado, Face Up, and Neurotica. Wonder if he was in some sort of self therapy during this period or just reading some psychology stuff?Plus the record contains Dreamline one of my fav Rush tunes that I never get burnt out on. The way Geddy phrases those words the song just flows so well. OH and that goosebump inducing guitar solo as well.

RTB is the last Rush album I really liked (almost) track for track even with the thin pop sound. I liked the lyrics, the theme, and the upbeat nature of the whole production.

Everything after that didn't really sit well with me. Neil's lyrics started getting bad, Geddy changed his bass style (too many notes) and slowly started losing his ability to write a good melody, Alex's wall of distortion sound started coming into play. CP sounds great but most of the lyrics are cheesy, TFE is just.......meh. VT is an overlong noisy mess of sound and distortion, S&A is boring.

Maybe it's my bias of RTB being the "new" Rush album at the time I got into them in high school, but that's the last album of theres I didn't skip over most tracks.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Sep 2 2011, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 2 2011, 09:26 AM)

yes.gif

The production on RTB improved from Presto, but sadly the songwriting dropped off a bit. tongue.gif There's not really a bad song on Presto (still don't get the hate for Superconductor?), but RTB has three pretty weak tracks.

Luckily, they rebounded big time with CP. 1022.gif I don't know what was going on with Presto/RTB, but even from the opening moments of CP it seems like a weight was lifted off Rush's shoulders.

My cover band played a few corporate events where we were told "don't play too hard" or "try to hold back a bit." This is the impression I get from the Rupert Era, especially Presto, like Rupert was telling Rush to restrain themselves in their playing. confused13.gif This plus the thin, trebly sounds on P/RTB was not a great combo. eh.gif

Rupert wanted Rush to thin out their sound and the band wanted to as well. The previous two albums before that were overproduced with tons of keyboards and effects and complex arrangments. So if Presto and RTB sound sparse, that's just the direction they were going for at the time. Personally, a lot of the sonic issues would've been solved if Alex picked up his Gibsons and Geddy switched to his Fender Jazz earlier. They were trying to record harder sounding songs with instruments and effects that weren't really compatable.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (jnoble @ Sep 2 2011, 09:27 PM)
Love it. There is something about Roll The Bones I really like. Neil was real introspective on this record with songs like Bravado, Face Up, and Neurotica. Wonder if he was in some sort of self therapy during this period or just reading some psychology stuff?Plus the record contains Dreamline one of my fav Rush tunes that I never get burnt out on. The way Geddy phrases those words the song just flows so well. OH and that goosebump inducing guitar solo as well.

RTB is the last Rush album I really liked (almost) track for track even with the thin pop sound. I liked the lyrics, the theme, and the upbeat nature of the whole production.

Everything after that didn't really sit well with me. Neil's lyrics started getting bad, Geddy changed his bass style (too many notes) and slowly started losing his ability to write a good melody, Alex's wall of distortion sound started coming into play. CP sounds great but most of the lyrics are cheesy, TFE is just.......meh. VT is an overlong noisy mess of sound and distortion, S&A is boring.

Maybe it's my bias of RTB being the "new" Rush album at the time I got into them in high school, but that's the last album of theres I didn't skip over most tracks.

I can agree with you in away. I liked Roll the Bones when it came out but my musical interests began to change and by the time Counterparts came out, I wasn't impressed. I didn't start to get interested again until Geddy's My Favorite Headache and Vapor Trails came out. I like Vapor Trails but I lost interest again with Snakes and Arrows.

My "die hard" fandom ended after Roll the Bones.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2011, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Sep 2 2011, 09:27 PM)

I can agree with you in away. I liked Roll the Bones when it came out but my musical interests began to change and by the time Counterparts came out, I wasn't impressed. I didn't start to get interested again until Geddy's My Favorite Headache and Vapor Trails came out. I like Vapor Trails but I lost interest again with Snakes and Arrows.

My "die hard" fandom ended after Roll the Bones.

I've almost been more of a pop-rock than a hard heavy rock fan anyway, so just my personal taste itself lends me to like RTB and Presto more than everything that came after.

Unfortunatly, it seems that once Rush discovered how to sound loud and heavy again with Counterparts it came at the price of not writing consistantly good or memorable songs anymore. Maybe Geddy not composing on a keyboard like he used to had something to do with it.

Edited by jnoble

yeah, I can believe it. Counterparts and Test for Echo rock hard, but the spirit is just not there.

I like the hard rock sound they had in the first several albums, but they have that spirit that is missing in their more recent output.

I grew up with a lot of pop tunes that I still like, so I can identify with you on the pop aspect.

I love Hold Your Fire. I find it to be full of positive spirit and substance, whereas the "hard rock" Rush fan will find no value in it.