Face Up

Nate2112

Love it. There is something about Roll The Bones I really like. Neil was real introspective on this record with songs like Bravado, Face Up, and Neurotica. Wonder if he was in some sort of self therapy during this period or just reading some psychology stuff?Plus the record contains Dreamline one of my fav Rush tunes that I never get burnt out on. The way Geddy phrases those words the song just flows so well. OH and that goosebump inducing guitar solo as well.

Man I dont' know kids. When I was younger I wrote off 'ate 80's and 90's rush as watered down, over produced good rock but not real RUSH. But the older I get, the more I love it. I agree with the author of the thread. Great song...I think I love every song on that record. Now Counterparts has great stuff on it. But "everyday glory" and "Nobody's Hero" are both god awful.

Oh, and don't let me forget that terrible rap in "Roll The Bones"

QUOTE (beanerschnitzel @ Sep 1 2011, 04:41 PM)
Man I dont' know kids. When I was younger I wrote off 'ate 80's and 90's rush as watered down, over produced good rock but not real RUSH. But the older I get, the more I love it. I agree with the author of the thread. Great song...I think I love every song on that record. Now Counterparts has great stuff on it. But "everyday glory" and "Nobody's Hero" are both god awful.

Love Everyday Glory:)

This was the crack in the wall for me. I tried to give Superconductor a fair try, but when I heard Face Up, I allowed myself to dislike a Rush song. I never wanted to and I never thought that it would happen (hell, I even like Tai Shan). This song, however, paved the way for a short list of songs by Rush that I do not like.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 1 2011, 05:18 PM)
This was the crack in the wall for me. I tried to give Superconductor a fair try, but when I heard Face Up, I allowed myself to dislike a Rush song. I never wanted to and I never thought that it would happen (hell, I even like Tai Shan). This song, however, paved the way for a short list of songs by Rush that I do not like.

Tai Shan and High Water were the first new Rush songs that were a letdown, but I didn't DISLIKE them. So for me, too, Face Up was the first Rush song I actually disliked, after becoming a fan in about 1984. Thanks, Rupert! angry.gif tongue.gif

My "short list" would be:

Face Up

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Test For Echo

Dog Years

Virtuality

(Very borderline: Tai Shan, Totem, Limbo, Freeze)

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 1 2011, 04:42 PM)

I love 'Everyday Glory' too! I still get goosebumps listening to it! wub.gif

I absolutely LOVE this song; I'll take everyone else's helping of it!!! Love the way Geddy sings "I get so angry but I keep my mouth shut...and turn it UP"! Maybe because I feel that way so often. The softer part about taking a ride on your own is a great counterpart to Alex's guitar that follows...I dig the drum and keyboard intro...it's just so groovy and catchy, I get so into it...I get to the end and do this scream "AAAAAAOOWWW"! biggrin.gif heart.gif biggrin.gif heart.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Sep 1 2011, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 1 2011, 04:42 PM)

I love 'Everyday Glory' too! I still get goosebumps listening to it! wub.gif

Me too. Great song. 2.gif

This is one of those songs where if it was recorded differently, it could be much more powerful. It just sounds so over produced, as does all of RTB. If the guitars were more raw and played some of the melodies the keys do, and ditch the keys altogether, it could be pretty cool. This is just my opinion of course. tongue.gif

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Sep 1 2011, 09:43 PM)
This is one of those songs where if it was recorded differently, it could be much more powerful. It just sounds so over produced, as does all of RTB. If the guitars were more raw and played some of the melodies the keys do, and ditch the keys altogether, it could be pretty cool. This is just my opinion of course. tongue.gif

The drums too. The bass drum and snare drum are wimpy but the playing is great. Must be what they were going for at the time as far as production.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 2 2011, 02:33 AM)
I absolutely LOVE this song; I'll take everyone else's helping of it!!! Love the way Geddy sings "I get so angry but I keep my mouth shut...and turn it UP"! Maybe because I feel that way so often. The softer part about taking a ride on your own is a great counterpart to Alex's guitar that follows...I dig the drum and keyboard intro...it's just so groovy and catchy, I get so into it...I get to the end and do this scream "AAAAAAOOWWW"! biggrin.gif heart.gif biggrin.gif heart.gif biggrin.gif

+1

There can't be a better description for me of what the song contains emotionally.

I always get pumped listening to the song, especially when I get out on my own and take a ride.

QUOTE (beanerschnitzel @ Sep 1 2011, 05:54 PM)
to each his own I guess...You know whats funny...I rarely listen to early 70's Rush anymore. The playing is incredible and I love it. But it just seems a little silly some times. Anyone else feel this way?

There's always something a little "silly" about Rush. Usually, it has to do with the lyrics, through every era. But, for me, the overall experience is witnessing brilliant music.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Sep 1 2011, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 2 2011, 02:33 AM)
I absolutely LOVE this song; I'll take everyone else's helping of it!!! Love the way Geddy sings "I get so angry but I keep my mouth shut...and turn it UP"! Maybe because I feel that way so often. The softer part about taking a ride on your own is a great counterpart to Alex's guitar that follows...I dig the drum and keyboard intro...it's just so groovy and catchy, I get so into it...I get to the end and do this scream "AAAAAAOOWWW"!  biggrin.gif  heart.gif  biggrin.gif  heart.gif  biggrin.gif

+1

There can't be a better description for me of what the song contains emotionally.

I always get pumped listening to the song, especially when I get out on my own and take a ride.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/exactly.gif

I like every song on RTB. I love the theme of chance and taking a chance. cool.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Sep 2 2011, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE (tontonfranck @ Sep 2 2011, 07:19 AM)
I must admit Face up is the only song I can't stand on Roll the bones

dazed025.gif

Thats Neurotica

no.gif It's "You Bet Your Life". That's the only song I don't like on RTB. I'm not crazy about the rap in "Roll the Bones", but the song is slightly above tolerable.

I can see why "face up" is not a favorite. I don't mind it.