Irene is coming!

Tick

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 31 2011, 10:59 PM)
It gets a lot of coverage for a reason.

TV earns money when they sell commercial time.

They sell more commercial time (at higher rates) when more people watch.

The Northeast is very population dense.

Ergo - when a storm is going to hit the nations capital, and the 1st, 5th, 7th, and 10th largest metropolitan areas with one storm... of course its going to get a lot of coverage.

"Throughout its path, Irene caused widespread destruction and at least 54 deaths; monetary losses to the Caribbean could be as high as US$ 3.1 billion according to preliminary estimates.[6] Early damage estimates in the US are about $7 billion.[7]" and 7 million people lost power.

Thats why it was on the news so much.

yes.gif

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ergo - when a storm is going to hit the nations capital, and the 1st, 5th, 7th, and 10th largest metropolitan areas with one storm... of course its going to get a lot of coverage.

"Throughout its path, Irene caused widespread destruction and at least 54 deaths; monetary losses to the Caribbean could be as high as US$ 3.1 billion according to preliminary estimates.[6] Early damage estimates in the US are about $7 billion.[7]" and 7 million people lost power.

You got that right! This storm could have been much worse as well. On the news this morning, damage estimates were at $1billion.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 31 2011, 08:11 PM)
It was a rough and stressful night Saturday as the wind and rain pounded our house all night long.
When we lost power at 6am I had a sinking feeling in my gut that my basement would now start to flood without the pump working. It had been going on every 10 minutes all night long.

My wife said were screwed, were going to lose the furnace, the washer and dryer, and are upright freezer.
I sat in silence and thought and then after a few minutes I said to my wife, I believe I have a solution to our problem. I said, its not going to be fun and it isn't pretty but if we grab our two 5 gallon buckets and a smaller tupperware bucket we can become manual sump pumps. We pulled the pump out of the hole and started bailing nonstop.
We sprung into action, continuously filling buckets and going up and down the basement stairs, dumping it outside. This went on all day, but at the end of the day, we saved the basement! I felt exhausted be I felt great we had averted disaster.

At the end of the day we lost quite a bit of food, which sucks, but in the grand scheme, it could have been much worse.

Glad to see you are alright, tick. And great thinking! You have an excellent story to tell for some time.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 1 2011, 12:11 AM)
I everyone. Thanks for your concern. My family and I are alive and well.
I know CT said as far as he is concerned it was a non event. Well I guess someone like myself who was without power for 4 days doesn't quite echo that sentiment.
I got lost power 6am on Sunday morning and it was finally restored at 4pm today.
My home suffered no damage, nor did my vehicles.

It was a rough and stressful night Saturday as the wind and rain pounded our house all night long.
When we lost power at 6am I had a sinking feeling in my gut that my basement would now start to flood without the pump working. It had been going on every 10 minutes all night long.

My wife said were screwed, were going to lose the furnace, the washer and dryer, and are upright freezer.
I sat in silence and thought and then after a few minutes I said to my wife, I believe I have a solution to our problem. I said, its not going to be fun and it isn't pretty but if we grab our two 5 gallon buckets and a smaller tupperware bucket we can become manual sump pumps. We pulled the pump out of the hole and started bailing nonstop.
We sprung into action, continuously filling buckets and going up and down the basement stairs, dumping it outside. This went on all day, but at the end of the day, we saved the basement! I felt exhausted be I felt great we had averted disaster.

At the end of the day we lost quite a bit of food, which sucks, but in the grand scheme, it could have been much worse.

Now for my final rant...
I HATE F U C K I N G GENERATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rage.gif rage.gif rage.gif
I delt will all the discomforts of having no power for 4 days but the worst thing of all by far was that people ran generators 24/7 for 4 f***ing days!!! It was insane to try and sleep at night when it sounded like people were all mowing there lawns at the same time...ALL NIGHT LONG!!!
I was becoming nuts! I couldn't sleep.
There really is no reason to run these contraptions all through the over night, but of course these morons have to take full advantage of there new toys and not give a shit about anyone but themselves. In fairness, some shut there's down in the evening but 1 idiot never shut his off for 4 days straight. I wanted to brain him!

Ok, I'm back and I'm thrilled to be out of the dark. Thanks for caring! smile.gif

heart.gif Great to know you're all okay, tick - we were all worried! hug2.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 1 2011, 06:09 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 31 2011, 08:11 PM)

Glad to see you are alright, tick. And great thinking! You have an excellent story to tell for some time.

yes.gif way to rise to the occasion.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 1 2011, 02:28 AM)

yes.gif

exactly.

take a look at the TRF map.

I understand the population thing. And agree, it's a pain in the ass. But you guys do come off like sissies sometimes. I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be tough. Power outages? 4 1/2 days? That happens to us about once a year. Funny thing, it happens during ice storms. How the hell does southwest missouri out ice New York. But it does. About every year we have an ice storm that keeps 75-85,000 people out of power for weeks. I understand its not millions. But whats the big deal? We get candles and chess boards. If the house is heated electricly we go over to a family members house with gas. We put everything outside so it won't spoil...some shit we keep in a cooler so it won't freeze. It's no big deal. CNN aint here. Nobody's offering thoughts and prayers. Shit, we had a tornado in '08 take out half as many people has Irene. We lost 24 to an F4 in between seneca and joplin. 24 sorry bastards that happened to be driving. Didn't make a blip on the national news.

Realize before you get all offended, I realize that most of this is said out of emotional frusteration and I'm not considering all that facts. I'm not inclined to be academic about it. It feels better to just be pissed off. We always feel ignored down here. And this time, it just kind of pissed all of us off. Thats the banter at the local bars last couple of days. "F'in Irene...thats a bitch of a storm, jeez...."We like to rant about New Yorkers always act all tough but let a little water fall from the sky and the wind pick up "jees yous guys...it's a freakin Hurricane outside...we gotsta evacuate the city...yo"

Okay...nuff said. I'm gonna go talk about Rush now.

QUOTE (beanerschnitzel @ Sep 1 2011, 05:06 PM)
I understand the population thing. And agree, it's a pain in the ass. But you guys do come off like sissies sometimes. I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be tough. Power outages? 4 1/2 days? That happens to us about once a year. Funny thing, it happens during ice storms. How the hell does southwest missouri out ice New York. But it does. About every year we have an ice storm that keeps 75-85,000 people out of power for weeks. I understand its not millions. But whats the big deal? We get candles and chess boards. If the house is heated electricly we go over to a family members house with gas. We put everything outside so it won't spoil...some shit we keep in a cooler so it won't freeze. It's no big deal. CNN aint here. Nobody's offering thoughts and prayers. Shit, we had a tornado in '08 take out half as many people has Irene. We lost 24 to an F4 in between seneca and joplin. 24 sorry bastards that happened to be driving. Didn't make a blip on the national news. 
Realize before you get all offended, I realize that most of this is said out of emotional frusteration and I'm not considering all that facts. I'm not inclined to be academic about it. It feels better to just be pissed off. We always feel ignored down here. And this time, it just kind of pissed all of us off. Thats the banter at the local bars last couple of days. "F'in Irene...thats a bitch of a storm, jeez...."We like to rant about New Yorkers always act all tough but let a little water fall from the sky and the wind pick up "jees yous guys...it's a freakin Hurricane outside...we gotsta evacuate the city...yo"

No one is disputing the damage and loss of life per square inch that Joplin suffered, but it's all relative. For a lot of people, Irene wasn't the monster that The Weather Channel made it out to be. But for thousands of others, Irene sucked total ass. Those people whose homes are flooded or who lost family members aren't thinking about Joplin right now. And why should they?

A fine idea. So far it seems like you joined the board just to make everyone feel guilty for not living in Joplin. Switching gears would not be a bad idea.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2011, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 1 2011, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2011, 08:59 PM)
Look out for Katia next!!

ohmy.gif

What about J?

Tropical storm Jose only lasted one day...

trink38.gif

Ah... Missed that one.

Yeah but your forgetting one thing. We are superior to you losers. smile.gif

I'm kidding! laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 2 2011, 06:22 AM)

Yeah but your forgetting one thing. We are superior to you losers. smile.gif

I'm kidding! laugh.gif

Gotta love Tick laugh.gif