Irene is coming!

Tick

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 27 2011, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2011, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 27 2011, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 27 2011, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Aug 27 2011, 08:44 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2011, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 26 2011, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2011, 01:28 PM)
i fear that if that this thing hits just right, it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. years ago i read a article about just this scenario saying how it was long overdue.

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or if it was planned in order to warn people to take the necessary precautions), but the History Channel was showing an episode of MEGA DISASTERS in which they showed what would happen if a major hurricane hit New York City.

damn, just watched part of that on youtube. scary stuff.

I know right.

It seems as if we are heading towards the apocalypse. with the media putting extreme stroies about Irene out there

there is no way this will approach anywhere near Katrina.

Katrina was much more powerful.

Everything about what happened in New Orleans needs to be thrown out the window unless you also live in a town under sea level with inadequate levees. New Orleans was a unique situation. If you move east there were cities near the coast destroyed. Won't happen here unless it is by tornado.

we will see. my guess is that the financial toll will be higher. the northeast is far more populated than new orleans or the gulf coast. some of the most expensive real estate in the country too from what i can see.

Katrina was a CAT 5, this is a CAT 1 - so it will be a lot weaker. It is hitting an area that is far more populated, but there wont be "cities under water" like NO. The real problem for all of us is the incredibly high priced beachfront properties we'll all be paying for with our govt and our insurance companies. smile.gif

Hopefully everyone will be safe.

right but it seems to me that a weaker storm that hits more people can be as destructive as a powerful storm that hits a less densely populated area.

also the storm will be stronger above the 10th floor in the skyscrapers from what i have heard. apparently flying debris is one of the biggest concerns.

my doomsday scenario is that the destruction could be so great that the insurance companies will need a "bailout" to stay solvent.

hopefully i am wrong on all counts but the possibility of peoples houses which are "underwater" from a mortgage perspective being damaged by really being underwater is quite troubling.

stay safe everybody!

Yes, for sure, a weaker storm can be more destructive in a more populated area & where it encounters a lot of major cities.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 27 2011, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2011, 10:13 AM)
i fear that if that this thing hits just right, it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. years ago i read a article about just this scenario saying how it was long overdue.

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or if it was planned in order to warn people to take the necessary precautions), but the History Channel was showing an episode of MEGA DISASTERS in which they showed what would happen if a major hurricane hit New York City.

I know right.

It seems as if we are heading towards the apocalypse. with the media putting extreme stroies about Irene out there

Everything about what happened in New Orleans needs to be thrown out the window unless you also live in a town under sea level with inadequate levees. New Orleans was a unique situation. If you move east there were cities near the coast destroyed. Won't happen here unless it is by tornado.

we will see. my guess is that the financial toll will be higher. the northeast is far more populated than new orleans or the gulf coast. some of the most expensive real estate in the country too from what i can see.

Katrina was a CAT 5, this is a CAT 1 - so it will be a lot weaker. It is hitting an area that is far more populated, but there wont be "cities under water" like NO. The real problem for all of us is the incredibly high priced beachfront properties we'll all be paying for with our govt and our insurance companies. smile.gif

Katrina was not a category 5. It was a category 3.

For the record.

For the record, Katrina attained Category 5 status over the Gulf, but hit NO as a Category 3. She was vicious.

This one is angry and mean, but not vicious...it has already made landfall as a Cat 1, with no significant stories of death and/or destruction. It is weakening as it makes its way up here. If you're in an evac zone, get out. Otherwise, you've done all you can, you're going to be fine. Take the necessary precautions, and we should all be cool.

The ominous sky moves forward like a Lion hunting its prey. Its callous and calculated. It will not show mercy for the weak for it feeds on there fear. The anger of its wrath brings the people to there knees. Pray you find yourself in its good graces.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 27 2011, 12:15 PM)
The ominous sky moves forward like a Lion hunting its prey. Its callous and calculated. It will not show mercy for the weak for it feeds on there fear. The anger of its wrath brings the people to there knees. Pray you find yourself in its good graces.

wow man, thanks for the glass is half empty sad.gif

this will, indeed, suck balls.

This thing ain't packin' shit here just outside of Richmond, and we're on the west side of it where the wind and rain is the worst. In typical Weather Channel fashion, this reporter down in Virginia Beach was making it sound like Armageddon of course, and about that time 4 people in a 4x4 drove by, stopped and waved as they smiled. rofl3.gif This is a tropical storm now, nothing compared to Gaston back in 2004 that rolled through here. Still, I have to take advantage of this awesome moment to refer back to this one...

Fukin' Irene!!!

cool10.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2011, 12:16 PM)

unsure.gif sorry.

Its going to work out ok. Have faith! trink39.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 26 2011, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 26 2011, 06:01 PM)
Expect TRF to be down starting on Sunday, for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Maybe longer.

Buy a generator bitch! 1022.gif

tongue.gif

Fine idea! But even if I was able to power the server, what about the cable service that would also be down because of the storm? For a server, all the electricity in the world is useless without an internet connection. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 27 2011, 01:17 PM)
Fine idea! But even if I was able to power the server, what about the cable service that would also be down because of the storm? For a server, all the electricity in the world is useless without an internet connection. wink.gif

do you have Optimum good sir?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 26 2011, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 26 2011, 10:01 PM)
Expect TRF to be down starting on Sunday, for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Maybe longer.

Thanks for the warning, 73.

Will we get time served on bannings during this period?

About to post in SCON.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 27 2011, 11:26 AM)

I know right.

For the record.

I believe it was reported as a 4 during the coverage but the experts went back and studied everything afterwards and decided it was a 3 so it was borderline. The overall financial impact is not the main factor I would use to say this will make Katrina "look like a cakewalk." They can factor all sorts of things in that estimate like the fact that the subways will be closed.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2011, 11:16 AM)

I know, damn tick. laugh.gif

Bet you tell good ghost stories. scared.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 27 2011, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 27 2011, 11:26 AM)

I know right.

For the record.

I believe it was reported as a 4 during the coverage but the experts went back and studied everything afterwards and decided it was a 3 so it was borderline. The overall financial impact is not the main factor I would use to say this will make Katrina "look like a cakewalk." They can factor all sorts of things in that estimate like the fact that the subways will be closed.

for what its worth, i wish i had used a term other than cakewalk. i don't want to make light of the suffering NO endured.

secondly my quote was edited. i think if you go back and read my entire post it makes a bit more sense.

nonetheless i stand by my post. the magnitude of NYC compared to NO is so much greater that i fear there is trouble ahead.

finally the CAT of a hurricane is not the end all in terms of determining overall damage and some of the worst flooding comes from tropical storms. a hurricane is a hurricane and thinking that a CAT 1 is significantly less dangerous that a CAT 2 or above is a mistake.

stay safe folks.

Edited by tangy

News said heavy rains and winds of 60-100KM/H as of 4:00pm. It's currently 2:34 and there isn't a cloud in the sky and almost no wind. I don't want to get by a hurricane but I don't want to lose that little thread that allows me to believe the news either.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 27 2011, 10:15 AM)

The clouds prepare for battle

In the dark and brooding silence.

Bruised and sullen stormclouds

Have the light of day obscured.

Looming low and ominous

In twilight premature

Thunderheads are rumbling

In a distant overture...

All at once, the clouds are parted.

Light streams down in bright unbroken beams...

Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies.

The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...

It's raining and that's about it. The H should be here overnight into the morning.

It's slightly un-nerving because anything can happen and, and now they're throwing tornadoes in the mix. great. doh.gif