Irene is coming!

Tick

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 25 2011, 09:34 PM)
by the way, tornadoes do occur within hurricanes, just so ya know.

The big thing to worry about is the electricity. Because you can be without power for days and you need to have nonperishable things to eat.

My sister said earlier that she saw a lot of evacuees at the Cracker Barrel restaurant tonight. It's located on hwy. 64 in our hometown which is the direct route to and from the Outer Banks.

Have plenty of ice to put in coolers to keep things from perishing for longer.

I am storing ice in my freezer in case I need it. The thing I don't have is a generator. I thought about buying one at Lowe's yesterday but 700 bucks changed my mind. I hope I don't regret not getting one.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 25 2011, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 25 2011, 02:14 PM)
Meh.  I dont think its gonna touch down here (NYC) or anything..its 4 days away, and lots of things can happen in that time.  We're gonna get some wet weather no doubt, and it'll flood some, I'll keep the flashlights and candles about, but...meh.

I wish this was right. I think we will get whacked hard in the northeast. Its got me uneasy.

I agree.

The big thing to worry about is the electricity. Because you can be without power for days and you need to have nonperishable things to eat.

My sister said earlier that she saw a lot of evacuees at the Cracker Barrel restaurant tonight. It's located on hwy. 64 in our hometown which is the direct route to and from the Outer Banks.

Yes, tornadoes can form in hurricanes... normally in the right-front quadrant. This will have a major impact on the Mid-Atlantic and New England states.

It's nice to have a whole house generator that runs off of a 500 gallon propane tank buried in the backyard. cool.gif

i fear that if that this thing hits just right, it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. years ago i read a article about just this scenario saying how it was long overdue.

this will be a major kick to the financial balls of this country at a time when we can least afford it.

right now insurance companies are looking for weasel clauses in their policies.

yikes. hope everyone affected stays safe.

fill up your tubs with water.

stock up on beer and liquor.

buy some lighters cool10.gif

paper towels, plates, plastic silverware

water, food and fuel

wet ones or hand sanitizers

weather radio- hand cranked

etc etc etc

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 25 2011, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 25 2011, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 25 2011, 02:27 PM)
This is going to come across as a silly question, but what is the Outer Banks?

Also, is this the same Irene that could knock out the Forum's server, and will the Forum be offline, and if so, how long could it be before we can get back on?

The Outer Banks is the eastern most coastal area of North Carolina (my home state). It's a group of islands and the first attempt at English colonization in the late 1500s.

If you are planning to go there right after the hurricane strikes, you may want to call ahead, because in previous storms the roads get washed out and are covered with sand. I'd advise waiting a good week after the storm passes through.

Looks like Boston will get the windward side if it's not in the direct path.

Imagine a few days without electricity and prepare beforehand for things like having food on hand that won't spoil. Have water and a flashlight. If you have important personal documents in a basement or even at floor level, make sure these are out of reach of flood waters.

Move anything that's outside, like lawn furniture, to the inside or somewhere that they can be secured. Same with trash cans - basically anything of yours not tied down outdoors.

To add to his post:

The land is not very wide. At many points, the land is less than 100 meters wide, and therefore definately can be underwater quickly. From the satelite view, the land is the little white line with water on both sides.

Here is a pic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/NCOuterBanks-EO.jpg/250px-NCOuterBanks-EO.jpg

if i remember correctly there are more varieties of fish and birds at the outer banks than elsewhere on the east coast. nc in general is one of the most biologically diverse states.

the outer banks has killer, huge sand dunes that you can hang glide from.

really, really nice but its been ages since i have been there. even though i live in NC, the beaches of SC are much closer so we go to the charleston/edisto area.

i guess the OB were formed by hurricanes and it looks like they are to be altered again....

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Aug 25 2011, 11:00 PM)

Yes, tornadoes can form in hurricanes... normally in the right-front quadrant. This will have a major impact on the Mid-Atlantic and New England states.

It's nice to have a whole house generator that runs off of a 500 gallon propane tank buried in the backyard. cool.gif

Right front would have the tornadoes not be on land until it hits landfall (or close).. small comfort. Boo on this storm.

Those dunes are actually the tallest on the east coast. And I think the Hatteras lighthouse is the tallest. I've climbed the dunes on many occasions as a child and yes hang gliders have fun taking off from those. There's a place there where you can learn to hang glide.

It's diverse because northern species of plants and animals end there and southern species of plants and animals end there. So there is an overlap in NC of both.

As a NC native, I hope the outer banks do not become any more crowded than they are. Greedy developers have been building condos all over the place and I worry that what makes the area special won't be recognizable in the near future. Once quiet beaches are becoming less quiet.

A first: SEPTA to shut down

By Troy Graham

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

For the first time in transportation history, SEPTA plans to suspend all service - buses, trains and subways - at midnight Saturday in response to Hurricane Irene.

The city will not order evacuations from flood prone areas, Mayor Nutter said this afternoon, but three city high schools will be open as shelters.

Nutter urged residents who live in flood-prone areas to use common sense and evacuate before the worst of the storm arrives, now projected to be about midnight Saturday.

Philly trans. shutting down too....

Oh boy....

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2011, 01:28 PM)
i fear that if that this thing hits just right, it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. years ago i read a article about just this scenario saying how it was long overdue.

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or if it was planned in order to warn people to take the necessary precautions), but the History Channel was showing an episode of MEGA DISASTERS in which they showed what would happen if a major hurricane hit New York City.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 26 2011, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2011, 01:28 PM)

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or if it was planned in order to warn people to take the necessary precautions), but the History Channel was showing an episode of MEGA DISASTERS in which they showed what would happen if a major hurricane hit New York City.

damn, just watched part of that on youtube. scary stuff.

It's raining pretty good here in SC right now and has been since around 1 PM. We're under an area flood advisory and they're calling for winds up to 100 mph until midnight.

Now here's Pags with sports! laugh.gif

I do hope that this monster turns right and dies at sea.

Still hard to tell...though the city is REALLY prepping for it. They shut down the MTA starting tomorrow, evacuated hospitals....and, unfortunately, first casualty was my sister in laws sisters wedding. It was supposed to happen tomorrow, but they called it off sad.gif ...it was at a place ON the water. No way it could have gone on.

I'm all "provisioned" save for a couple things I'll go out for later. So, everyone..hunker down, keep in touch, stay safe. wub.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 26 2011, 03:37 PM)
Still hard to tell...though the city is REALLY prepping for it. They shut down the MTA starting tomorrow, evacuated hospitals....and, unfortunately, first casualty was my sister in laws sisters wedding. It was supposed to happen tomorrow, but they called it off sad.gif ...it was at a place ON the water. No way it could have gone on.

I'm all "provisioned" save for a couple things I'll go out for later. So, everyone..hunker down, keep in touch, stay safe. wub.gif

stay safe! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 26 2011, 03:37 PM)

I'm all "provisioned" save for a couple things I'll go out for later.

Outstanding and well done!