Irene is coming!

Tick

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beanerschnitzel @ Aug 31 2011, 08:20 AM)
power outages!!! fallen trees??? Oh, the horror...

Okay, that's two such posts from you in this thread, and they're your first two posts on this board. First, welcome to TRF. Second, are you really from Joplin? Are you posting from there right now?

QUOTE (beanerschnitzel @ Aug 29 2011, 11:00 PM)
I hate for my first post to be negative. But good lord, I'm from Joplin Missouri. I watch the news and hear anchormen blow about "60 mile an hour winds" like thats anything I wanna puke. 13 people dead on the entire eastern seaboard? While I agree 1 is too many but try 190 in 5 miles.

Give me a break.

So what does this mean? Unless we can top your natural disasters with our natural disasters it doesn't qualify?

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 31 2011, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 31 2011, 10:25 AM)

Glad you got it back up and running 73, and you survived the storm.

Has anyone heard from Tick?

No word from Tick. Here or FB. I'm concerned.

So am I. Hope he's okay. hug2.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 31 2011, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 31 2011, 10:25 AM)

Glad you got it back up and running 73, and you survived the storm.

Has anyone heard from Tick?

No word from Tick. Here or FB. I'm concerned.

Let's hope it is something small like his power being out.

this was easily the biggest disaster to rock Long Island since the earthquake cool.gif

I lost power for a few hours. Dodged a bullet on this one.

Edited by furie

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 31 2011, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE (beanerschnitzel @ Aug 31 2011, 08:20 AM)
power outages!!! fallen trees??? Oh, the horror...

Okay, that's two such posts from you in this thread, and they're your first two posts on this board. First, welcome to TRF. Second, are you really from Joplin? Are you posting from there right now?

Yes, I am. Well..Webb City..it's the same thing. I know it's a little harsh on my part but call me frustrated.

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 31 2011, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (beanerschnitzel @ Aug 29 2011, 11:00 PM)
I hate for my first post to be negative. But good lord, I'm from Joplin Missouri. I watch the news and hear anchormen blow about "60 mile an hour winds" like thats anything I wanna puke. 13 people dead on the entire eastern seaboard? While I agree 1 is too many but try 190 in 5 miles. 

Give me a break.

So what does this mean? Unless we can top your natural disasters with our natural disasters it doesn't qualify?

I think it means the amount of coverage is silly. I think means 60 mile an hour winds are a joke. I think it means nothing seems to really matter unless it hits either coast or chicago. You had 13 people die on the entire eastern shoreline. We had 190 in five miles. We had 300 mile an hour winds. It wasn't just an F5, it was the biggest m'fing F5 anyones ever seen. Yet, you're on every station, the president is speaking and theres an "irene" watch on every freaking cable network. NOt too mention, they yanked our FEMA funding so they can take care of the people who matter. Shit man, it's New York!!! Gotta take care of New York. The power is out. Sorry Joplin, you're not New York. Maybe this is an emotional post cause I can't drive across town and not get lost cause theres nothing there. But yeah, I'm a little pissed about the attention Irene is getting.

Cut me a break.

I everyone. Thanks for your concern. My family and I are alive and well.

I know CT said as far as he is concerned it was a non event. Well I guess someone like myself who was without power for 4 days doesn't quite echo that sentiment.

I got lost power 6am on Sunday morning and it was finally restored at 4pm today.

My home suffered no damage, nor did my vehicles.

It was a rough and stressful night Saturday as the wind and rain pounded our house all night long.

When we lost power at 6am I had a sinking feeling in my gut that my basement would now start to flood without the pump working. It had been going on every 10 minutes all night long.

My wife said were screwed, were going to lose the furnace, the washer and dryer, and are upright freezer.

I sat in silence and thought and then after a few minutes I said to my wife, I believe I have a solution to our problem. I said, its not going to be fun and it isn't pretty but if we grab our two 5 gallon buckets and a smaller tupperware bucket we can become manual sump pumps. We pulled the pump out of the hole and started bailing nonstop.

We sprung into action, continuously filling buckets and going up and down the basement stairs, dumping it outside. This went on all day, but at the end of the day, we saved the basement! I felt exhausted be I felt great we had averted disaster.

At the end of the day we lost quite a bit of food, which sucks, but in the grand scheme, it could have been much worse.

Now for my final rant...

I HATE F U C K I N G GENERATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rage.gif rage.gif rage.gif

I delt will all the discomforts of having no power for 4 days but the worst thing of all by far was that people ran generators 24/7 for 4 f***ing days!!! It was insane to try and sleep at night when it sounded like people were all mowing there lawns at the same time...ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

I was becoming nuts! I couldn't sleep.

There really is no reason to run these contraptions all through the over night, but of course these morons have to take full advantage of there new toys and not give a shit about anyone but themselves. In fairness, some shut there's down in the evening but 1 idiot never shut his off for 4 days straight. I wanted to brain him!

Ok, I'm back and I'm thrilled to be out of the dark. Thanks for caring! smile.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 31 2011, 08:11 PM)
I know CT said as far as he is concerned it was a non event. Well I guess someone like myself who was without power for 4 days doesn't quite echo that sentiment.
I got lost power 6am on Sunday morning and it was finally restored at 4pm today.

It was a rough and stressful night Saturday as the wind and rain pounded our house all night long.
When we lost power at 6am I had a sinking feeling in my gut that my basement would now start to flood without the pump working. It had been going on every 10 minutes all night long.

My wife said were screwed, were going to lose the furnace, the washer and dryer, and are upright freezer.
I sat in silence and thought and then after a few minutes I said to my wife, I believe I have a solution to our problem. I said, its not going to be fun and it isn't pretty but if we grab our two 5 gallon buckets and a smaller tupperware bucket we can become manual sump pumps. We pulled the pump out of the whole and started bailing nonstop.
We sprung into action, continuously filling buckets and going up and down the basement stairs, dumping it outside. This went on all day, but at the end of the day, we saved the basement! I felt exhausted be I felt great we had averted disaster.

At the end of the day we lost quite a bit of food, which sucks, but in the grand scheme, it could have been much worse.

Now for my final rant...
I HATE F U C K I N G GENERATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rage.gif rage.gif rage.gif
I delt will all the discomforts of having no power for 4 days but the worst thing of all by far was that people ran generators 24/7 for 4 f***ing days!!! It was insane to try and sleep at night when it sounded like people were all mowing there lawns at the same time...ALL NIGHT LONG!!!
There really is no reason to run these contraptions all through the over night, but of course these morons have to take full advantage of there new toys and not give a shit about anyone but themselves. In fairness, some shut there's down in the evening but 1 idiot never shut his off for 4 days straight. I wanted to brain him!

Ok, I'm back and I'm thrilled to be out of the dark. Thanks for caring! smile.gif

Glad to hear you and your family are ok brother. Good job on the basement save!

trink39.gif

By the way, I want to also say I'm glad everyone here is safe and sound. I didn't mean to make my post all about me.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 31 2011, 08:11 PM)

I sat in silence and thought and then after a few minutes I said to my wife, I believe I have a solution to our problem. I said, its not going to be fun and it isn't pretty but if we grab our two 5 gallon buckets and a smaller tupperware bucket we can become manual sump pumps. We pulled the pump out of the hole and started bailing nonstop.

Now for my final rant...

Great to hear you and yours are okay, Tick. trink39.gif

It gets a lot of coverage for a reason.

TV earns money when they sell commercial time.

They sell more commercial time (at higher rates) when more people watch.

The Northeast is very population dense.

Ergo - when a storm is going to hit the nations capital, and the 1st, 5th, 7th, and 10th largest metropolitan areas with one storm... of course its going to get a lot of coverage.

"Throughout its path, Irene caused widespread destruction and at least 54 deaths; monetary losses to the Caribbean could be as high as US$ 3.1 billion according to preliminary estimates.[6] Early damage estimates in the US are about $7 billion.[7]" and 7 million people lost power.

Thats why it was on the news so much.

Glad to hear you got through your ordeal, Tick!

I didn't even lose power, which amazes me, because we normally lose power in this town if one of us breathes too hard. My boyfriend lost power, but not for long. It rained steadily all day Sunday, wind not too bad, and being complete nuthatches, we went to the State Fair in the rain anyway. It was the deadest I've ever seen it, especially for the weekend. Most of the outdoor vendors were closed, but we went through almost all the buildings, and only got a little bored at the end. We were also able to get decent seats for K.C. & the Sunshine Band (yeah, go figure, Sunshine in a hurricane) tongue.gif The rain even let up when the show started.

By the next day (Monday) all was sunny again, the Fair was packed for REO Speedwagon as the free concert, and set records for attendance.

Things are dicey flooding-wise east of here...hoping GeddyRulz & the Albany contingent are doing all right.

I have to agree that Joplin, MO was much worse. Also, that the press did cling to this story of Irene, but a lot of it was because the storm lasted for days so it had to be covered and so many areas were affected and in different ways.

Tick, I hope you didn't mind my comment. I know it was serious for others and you, I just happened to be in an area that wasn't affected.

People in the northeast have not had a serious hurricane in quite awhile and I don't think many expected it to be as bad as it was, especially Vermont who seem to be getting the worst flooding out of all those states affected.

Hurricane Floyd flooded my hometown in a big way and whole subdivisions had to be demolished. Practically all the houses across the street where I grew up are now gone.

But yeah, enough of Jim Cantore and his melodramatic behavior. He thrives on getting attention.

Hurricanes happen.