Irene is coming!

Tick

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 26 2011, 10:01 PM)
Expect TRF to be down starting on Sunday, for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Maybe longer.

Thanks for the warning, 73.

I am most worried about the storm surge. I live on a river just off of the Chesapeak Bay and a storm surge/high tide of 7 feet puts water at the foundation of my home. Kids are going to Gram and Pops tomorrow night and the wife and I are going to ride it out.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 26 2011, 03:37 PM)
Still hard to tell...though the city is REALLY prepping for it.  They shut down the MTA starting tomorrow, evacuated hospitals....and, unfortunately, first casualty was my sister in laws sisters wedding.  It was supposed to happen tomorrow, but they called it off sad.gif ...it was at a place ON the water.  No way it could have gone on.

I'm all "provisioned" save for a couple things I'll go out for later.  So, everyone..hunker down, keep in touch, stay safe. wub.gif

stay safe! trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 26 2011, 03:37 PM)
Still hard to tell...though the city is REALLY prepping for it.  They shut down the MTA starting tomorrow, evacuated hospitals....and, unfortunately, first casualty was my sister in laws sisters wedding.  It was supposed to happen tomorrow, but they called it off sad.gif ...it was at a place ON the water.  No way it could have gone on.

I'm all "provisioned" save for a couple things I'll go out for later.  So, everyone..hunker down, keep in touch, stay safe. wub.gif

Sorry to hear that. Saw on the news a NC coast wedding canceled. That's a cold shot. Irene, she is a bitch.

May all in its path be safe and hunkered. trink39.gif 2.gif

Well the rehearsal dinner went on as planned tonight, and the bride is, rightly so, getting her drink on!

We're good here, Staten Island has 4 evacuation zones...A, B, C and No Zone. "A" has already evacuated. I'm in the No Zone. Smack dab in the middle, and we should be cool. There's a tree outside that concerns me a bit, especially since my designated spot is right under it! Of course, watch, I'll move it and some projectile will find it anyway.

I'm gonna drink my wine and watch the world outside, from inside. smile.gif

I was watching the morning news today...they said the hurricane would hit Montreal early in the week. The forecast on the same news show said sunny for the next five days just minutes afterwards. I'M SO CONFUSED!

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 26 2011, 08:54 PM)
I was watching the morning news today...they said the hurricane would hit Montreal early in the week. The forecast on the same news show said sunny for the next five days just minutes afterwards. I'M SO CONFUSED!

One day, I was on my way to work, listening to the weather. The forecast said "sunny all day." When I started my shift, we had snow all over the place... bumper.gif Btw, hoping everyone stays safe. 1287.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 26 2011, 02:02 PM)
A first: SEPTA to shut down

By Troy Graham

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

For the first time in transportation history, SEPTA plans to suspend all service - buses, trains and subways - at midnight Saturday in response to Hurricane Irene.

The city will not order evacuations from flood prone areas, Mayor Nutter said this afternoon, but three city high schools will be open as shelters.

Nutter urged residents who live in flood-prone areas to use common sense and evacuate before the worst of the storm arrives, now projected to be about midnight Saturday.

Philly trans. shutting down too....

Oh boy....

With so much talk about NYC, I totally forgot about Philly..

Just looked at the pic of the path of this thing.. hoping for safety for all those that will be affected.. be safe.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 26 2011, 06:01 PM)
Expect TRF to be down starting on Sunday, for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Maybe longer.

Buy a generator bitch! 1022.gif

tongue.gif

Seriously, I'm nerving out over this whole thing. Milford is going to get nailed and I'm right on the water.

I don't want to have to leave my home for a safer place but I may have to.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Aug 26 2011, 05:54 PM)
I am most worried about the storm surge. I live on a river just off of the Chesapeak Bay and a storm surge/high tide of 7 feet puts water at the foundation of my home. Kids are going to Gram and Pops tomorrow night and the wife and I are going to ride it out.

I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2011, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 26 2011, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2011, 01:28 PM)
i fear that if that this thing hits just right, it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. years ago i read a article about just this scenario saying how it was long overdue.

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or if it was planned in order to warn people to take the necessary precautions), but the History Channel was showing an episode of MEGA DISASTERS in which they showed what would happen if a major hurricane hit New York City.

damn, just watched part of that on youtube. scary stuff.

I know right.

It seems as if we are heading towards the apocalypse. with the media putting extreme stroies about Irene out there

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 26 2011, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 26 2011, 06:01 PM)

Buy a generator bitch! 1022.gif

tongue.gif

Seriously, I'm nerving out over this whole thing. Milford is going to get nailed and I'm right on the water.

I don't want to have to leave my home for a safer place but I may have to.

stay safe tick!

positive vibes to all those in the path of the storm. yes.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Aug 27 2011, 08:44 AM)
i fear that if that this thing hits just right, it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. years ago i read a article about just this scenario saying how it was long overdue.

I don't know if it was a coincidence (or if it was planned in order to warn people to take the necessary precautions), but the History Channel was showing an episode of MEGA DISASTERS in which they showed what would happen if a major hurricane hit New York City.

I know right.

It seems as if we are heading towards the apocalypse. with the media putting extreme stroies about Irene out there

there is no way this will approach anywhere near Katrina.

Katrina was much more powerful.

Everything about what happened in New Orleans needs to be thrown out the window unless you also live in a town under sea level with inadequate levees. New Orleans was a unique situation. If you move east there were cities near the coast destroyed. Won't happen here unless it is by tornado.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 27 2011, 09:02 AM)

I know right.

Everything about what happened in New Orleans needs to be thrown out the window unless you also live in a town under sea level with inadequate levees. New Orleans was a unique situation. If you move east there were cities near the coast destroyed. Won't happen here unless it is by tornado.

we will see. my guess is that the financial toll will be higher. the northeast is far more populated than new orleans or the gulf coast. some of the most expensive real estate in the country too from what i can see.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 27 2011, 10:07 AM)

I know right.

we will see. my guess is that the financial toll will be higher. the northeast is far more populated than new orleans or the gulf coast. some of the most expensive real estate in the country too from what i can see.

Katrina was a CAT 5, this is a CAT 1 - so it will be a lot weaker. It is hitting an area that is far more populated, but there wont be "cities under water" like NO. The real problem for all of us is the incredibly high priced beachfront properties we'll all be paying for with our govt and our insurance companies. smile.gif

Hopefully everyone will be safe.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2011, 09:13 AM)

I know right.

Katrina was a CAT 5, this is a CAT 1 - so it will be a lot weaker. It is hitting an area that is far more populated, but there wont be "cities under water" like NO. The real problem for all of us is the incredibly high priced beachfront properties we'll all be paying for with our govt and our insurance companies. smile.gif

right but it seems to me that a weaker storm that hits more people can be as destructive as a powerful storm that hits a less densely populated area.

also the storm will be stronger above the 10th floor in the skyscrapers from what i have heard. apparently flying debris is one of the biggest concerns.

my doomsday scenario is that the destruction could be so great that the insurance companies will need a "bailout" to stay solvent.

hopefully i am wrong on all counts but the possibility of peoples houses which are "underwater" from a mortgage perspective being damaged by really being underwater is quite troubling.

stay safe everybody!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2011, 10:13 AM)

I know right.

Katrina was not a category 5. It was a category 3.

For the record.

Somebody in my hometown was killed this morning for venturing outside his house. A tree fell on him.

Right now, power is out in many places in Rocky Mount and trees have fallen due to high winds.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 27 2011, 09:46 AM)
Somebody in my hometown was killed this morning for venturing outside his house. A tree fell on him.

Right now, power is out in many places in Rocky Mount and trees have fallen due to high winds.

Since it was reported on MSNBC, I'm surprised they didn't blame it on a Bush.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 27 2011, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2011, 10:13 AM)

I know right.

Katrina was not a category 5. It was a category 3.

For the record.

My mistake, correct a CAT 3. Far more powerful storm than this one, the sixth strongest storm ever recorded.

Edited by lerxt1990