Irene is coming!

Tick

Are you prepared?

As a Connecticut resident I have not lived through a hurricane since 1985 but I am concerned about this.

It also looks as if my city is directly in the path for a direct hit. I am located in Milford which looks like the place this thing enters my state.

Every generator sold at the Lowe's I work in yesterday and I suspect all the sump pumps as well.

I figure will will sell a lot of plywood today.

The whole thing scares me because my basement had water issues to begin with when it rains heavy and they are talking 6 to 12 inches potentially.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are evacuating the Outer Banks. Look out.....sales of those gay ass oval "OBX" car stickers are sure to plummet!

QUOTE (Khan @ Aug 25 2011, 07:18 AM)
They are evacuating the Outer Banks. Look out.....sales of those gay ass oval "OBX" car stickers are sure to plummet!

rofl3.gif with respect to the OBX stickers.

Unfortunately for me, we are supposed to go to the Outer Banks on Saturday for the week. Hopefully it won't hit too bad and we get there on Monday.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 25 2011, 07:56 AM)
Are you prepared?
As a Connecticut resident I have not lived through a hurricane since 1985 but I am concerned about this.
It also looks as if my city is directly in the path for a direct hit. I am located in Milford which looks like the place this thing enters my state.
Every generator sold at the Lowe's I work in yesterday and I suspect all the sump pumps as well.
The whole thing scares me because my basement had water issues to begin with when it rains heavy and they are talking 6 to 12 inches potentially.

Hopefully it will go out to sea and miss your home altogether.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 25 2011, 08:22 AM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Aug 25 2011, 07:18 AM)
They are evacuating the Outer Banks.  Look out.....sales of those gay ass oval "OBX" car stickers are sure to plummet!

rofl3.gif with respect to the OBX stickers.

Unfortunately for me, we are supposed to go to the Outer Banks on Saturday for the week. Hopefully it won't hit too bad and we get there on Monday.

Don't watch the news much?

It will be in the Outer banks Saturday afternoon.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 25 2011, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 25 2011, 07:56 AM)
Are you prepared?

Hopefully it will go out to sea and miss your home altogether.

Hope so but its looking like a direct hit to my city. I sure hope not.

I'm on Long Island - bracing for the worst. Went to the grocery store today to avoid the crazy people tomorrow.

I am also praying not to lose power, but I'm prepared if we do.

I live in MD and work in VA. Earthquake earlier this week. Hurricaince this weekend. What's next, freakin' locusts?

This is going to come across as a silly question, but what is the Outer Banks?

Also, is this the same Irene that could knock out the Forum's server, and will the Forum be offline, and if so, how long could it be before we can get back on?

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 25 2011, 06:56 AM)
Are you prepared?

Tick are you gonna do a Hurricane Diary so we can all follow your adventures?? ohmy.gif Something like "Irene: From the Edge - A Hurricane Memoir!"

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 25 2011, 02:27 PM)

Also, is this the same Irene that could knock out the Forum's server, and will the Forum be offline, and if so, how long could it be before we can get back on?

The Outer Banks is the eastern most coastal area of North Carolina (my home state). It's a group of islands and the first attempt at English colonization in the late 1500s.

If you are planning to go there right after the hurricane strikes, you may want to call ahead, because in previous storms the roads get washed out and are covered with sand. I'd advise waiting a good week after the storm passes through.

Looks like Boston will get the windward side if it's not in the direct path.

Imagine a few days without electricity and prepare beforehand for things like having food on hand that won't spoil. Have water and a flashlight. If you have important personal documents in a basement or even at floor level, make sure these are out of reach of flood waters.

Move anything that's outside, like lawn furniture, to the inside or somewhere that they can be secured. Same with trash cans - basically anything of yours not tied down outdoors.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 25 2011, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 25 2011, 02:27 PM)

The Outer Banks is the eastern most coastal area of North Carolina (my home state). It's a group of islands and the first attempt at English colonization in the late 1500s.

If you are planning to go there right after the hurricane strikes, you may want to call ahead, because in previous storms the roads get washed out and are covered with sand. I'd advise waiting a good week after the storm passes through.

Looks like Boston will get the windward side if it's not in the direct path.

Imagine a few days without electricity and prepare beforehand for things like having food on hand that won't spoil. Have water and a flashlight. If you have important personal documents in a basement or even at floor level, make sure these are out of reach of flood waters.

Move anything that's outside, like lawn furniture, to the inside or somewhere that they can be secured. Same with trash cans - basically anything of yours not tied down outdoors.

To add to his post:

The land is not very wide. At many points, the land is less than 100 meters wide, and therefore definately can be underwater quickly. From the satelite view, the land is the little white line with water on both sides.

Here is a pic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/NCOuterBanks-EO.jpg/250px-NCOuterBanks-EO.jpg

My cousin was the mayor of Manteo at one time, although that town is the last stop just before the Bonner Bridge which takes you to the islands.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Aug 25 2011, 11:35 AM)
I live in MD and work in VA. Earthquake earlier this week. Hurricaince this weekend. What's next, freakin' locusts?

Well, the Antichrist is in the White House...

I think you can count on it, but don't Frogs come first?

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 25 2011, 02:14 PM)
Meh. I dont think its gonna touch down here (NYC) or anything..its 4 days away, and lots of things can happen in that time. We're gonna get some wet weather no doubt, and it'll flood some, I'll keep the flashlights and candles about, but...meh.

I wish this was right. I think we will get whacked hard in the northeast. Its got me uneasy.

by the way, tornadoes do occur within hurricanes, just so ya know.

The big thing to worry about is the electricity. Because you can be without power for days and you need to have nonperishable things to eat.

My sister said earlier that she saw a lot of evacuees at the Cracker Barrel restaurant tonight. It's located on hwy. 64 in our hometown which is the direct route to and from the Outer Banks.