Best Vocals Album

GUP1771

So, which album do you believe features Geddy's best vocal performance?

Personally, I believe Power Windows and/or Hold Your Fire is his best performance. Every time I hear songs from those two albums, I find the vocals to be very strong, and quite frankly, beautiful. There is a certain part in Middletown Dreams that simply is amazing, and gets me every time. It's right around 1:02 right after he sings "...is more than a man can endure," and then bam! "oooooooOOOOOOOooooHHHH!" (Apologies if there has been a thread like this before.)

Edited by GUP1771

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presto. His voice really improved in the 80's. His 70's voice was alright and I do like it, but he became a much better singer. He didn't sound like he was straining to hit the high notes and he sang much more naturally. Presto was his peak imo. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Lol @ any mention of HYF or Presto.

Tough to pick one between 2112 and Permanent Waves, but Ill go with PW for the good even mix of high vocals and good control over the lows, which he hasnt even had in a long time now.

The thing that made me fall in love with his vocals when he was young was his ability to hit highs, but also with power. When that was gone he came back down to earth and I can find a hell of a lot better singers that sung in the middle range much better than him.

He was the best out there for a few years.

Edited by trenken

IMO between GuP and Counterparts, Geddy's voice was just perfect. if I had to choose, I'd pick HYF. LOL all you want but his vocal chops on that album are simply stellar. He uses both his baritone and tenor voices to their optimum ability.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 22 2011, 07:30 PM)

especially Presto.....not even close to one of his best vocal albums....

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 23 2011, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 23 2011, 12:30 AM)
Power Windows.

Yep.

And this one from HYF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iFTGOWEek0

For those HYF skeptics out there, actually listen to it instead of just dismissing it because it's on HYF. The vocal melodies throughout the song are wonderful, and he sings it with conviction, effectively conveying the meaning of the lyrics.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 23 2011, 12:52 AM)
Power Windows.

Yep.

For those HYF skeptics out there, actually listen to it instead of just dismissing it because it's on HYF. The vocal melodies throughout the song are wonderful, and he sings it with conviction, effectively conveying the meaning of the lyrics.

goodpost.gif

I think his vocals sound good on all the albums after Hemispheres. Now don't get me wrong I love that really early stuff but he really mellowed after Hemis.

As for best, I've been really impressed with Caravan. I actually took note of how good I think they sound...Very mature.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 22 2011, 08:30 PM)

Tough to pick one between 2112 and Permanent Waves, but Ill go with PW for the good even mix of high vocals and good control over the lows, which he hasnt even had in a long time now.

The thing that made me fall in love with his vocals when he was young was his ability to hit highs, but also with power. When that was gone he came back down to earth and I can find a hell of a lot better singers that sung in the middle range much better than him.

He was the best out there for a few years.

I too with have to go with Hold Your Fire.

My reasoning, the guitar is downplayed so much that it forces me to focus on the vocals even more so. With the classic albums, the guitar blows you away and thus the vocals become less important.

So, when I think of Geddy's voice, I'll have to vote for one of the albums where it is very prominent.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 22 2011, 11:52 PM)
Power Windows.

Yep.

Well said! smile.gif

I think I'm going to have to go with Hold Your Fire as well, but Counterparts and Power Windows were a close second.

Personally, anything before the mid 80's is Geddy's banshee wail that, while I respect, isn't exactly great vocals but is certainly complementary to that period in music.