What Was Your First RUSH Album

drbirdsong

What was the first Rush album you owned?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first Rush album you owned?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • All The World's A Stage
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Exit Stage Left
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • A Show Of Hands
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Different Stages
    • Vapor Trails
    • Rush In Rio
    • Feedback
    • R30
    • Snakes And Arrows
    • Snakes And Arrows Live
    • Grace Under Pressure Tour
    • Working Men
    • Caravan

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Aug 25 2011, 09:55 PM)
Exit...Stage Left AND Permanent Waves on cassette, back in February '93...I bugged my dad that I wanted a my own cassette player/stereo, so for my 8th birthday, he got me one, along with the 2 Rush tapes, and Pink Floyd The Wall on cassette tongue.gif

For your 8th birthday your dad gave you The Wall? Did he follow that up on your ninth birthday with a VHS copy of Clockwork Orange? laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 27 2011, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Aug 25 2011, 09:55 PM)
Exit...Stage Left AND Permanent Waves on cassette, back in  February '93...I bugged my dad that I wanted a my own cassette player/stereo, so for my 8th birthday, he got me one, along with the 2 Rush tapes, and Pink Floyd The Wall on cassette  tongue.gif

For your 8th birthday your dad gave you The Wall? Did he follow that up on your ninth birthday with a VHS copy of Clockwork Orange? laugh.gif

LOL!! Nah...just the February '94 issue of Playboy... wink.gif

Permanent Waves, in a second-hand record store in 1982 when I was studying for my degree - a time of growth indeed (to paraphrase what Ged said about where people are when they first get into Rush) - and what a jewel of an album. Fantastic music, fantastic lyrics, fantastic cover. Love it.

Moving Pictures. I didn't get it first on vinyl, I got it on CD first, I have it on vinyl now, though. Anyways, I got it on the way down to Texas to see a friend and listened to it all the way through the day I got it, and it was honestly so magical. I remember hearing each song, being struck by aspects of each song, like Geddy's voice, obviously. I remember how catchy YYZ was and how much I really liked Red Barchetta and The Camera Eye. Oh, I do think The Camera Eye is my favourite song off of the album. So many nice feelings and images go with the song; traveling, relaxing, blue skies. Nice things. smile.gif

Technically it was Moving Pictures although I bought that, Signals, 2112, Exit Stage Left, and Permanent Waves all on cassette from Crazy Eddie at the same time. I still have them too, though I am sure they are much the worse for wear.

I was going to include All The World's A Stage in that list, but I had borrowed that from a friend and he never asked for it back.

The crown jewel of my collection still....... :dweez:

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/5/0/8/4508.jpg

Old thread, Mine i like to lump together. It was COS and 2112. My uncle had both. I though these guys are cool. But my rush love didn't bloom until i heard Permanent Waves That really did it.

Mick

Dad's the one who got me into Rush so I haven't the slightest clue what the first album he bought by them was. He graduated HS in '85 so if I guessed PoW or p/g I probably wouldn't be too far off.

Signals. I bought it on vinyl in January, 1983 and I still have that copy.

Growing up in St. Louis, Rush had a lot of airplay on K-SHE (back when radio was still relevant and K-SHE meant something - I miss those days), so I was somewhat familiar with the radio staples prior to that album. But Signals was the first Rush record I bought.

I liked it enough to pick up Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures shortly after... and kept working my way backwards and forwards.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures

Best choice methinks!

• Like 1

well I bought Caress of Steel on iTunes (not recently)...yes hello I'm in the digital age :AlienSmiley:

I've listened to Rush for a few years and then when RockBand said they were getting Moving Pictures as DLC I bought a PS3 just so I could play this album. I then bought Rock Band 2 and it had the trees on it. My first album purchase was The Spirit Of Radio Greatest Hits. I then bought Hemispheres because I loved The Trees, despite the album only having four songs and being 36 minutes long.