What Was Your First RUSH Album

drbirdsong

What was the first Rush album you owned?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first Rush album you owned?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • All The World's A Stage
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Exit Stage Left
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • A Show Of Hands
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Different Stages
    • Vapor Trails
    • Rush In Rio
    • Feedback
    • R30
    • Snakes And Arrows
    • Snakes And Arrows Live
    • Grace Under Pressure Tour
    • Working Men
    • Caravan

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Aug 23 2011, 12:55 AM)
By owned, I'm not sure if that means purchased or had in my possesion. Back in 1976 I was 9 years old and my sisters had FBN, CoS, 2112, and ATWAS and I listened to them constantly. A couple years later my brother had the cassette of 2112 that kinda became mine after a while. It wasnt until 1981 after seeing Rush in concert that I went and bought all of their albums within a 2 month period.

So I kinda consider 2112 as my first because I had the cassette so I could take it anywhere and play it for my friends and also in someone's car. It was the album I knew the best back in the 70's and when someone said the name "Rush" I identified them with 2112.

You and Softfilter have very cool sisters!

I bought Chronicles (along with the 4 disc Led Zeppelin box set, and Pink Floyd's The Wall and Wish You Were Here) with my high school graduation money - that was in 1994. During my freshman year of college, I used some of the money I earned working at the student cafe to buy Counterparts at the college bookstore. I remember it being expensive - $18 I believe. I didn't care because I freakin loved that Stick it Out song and couldn't wait to hear the rest of it. And I loved it, but I soon realized that I really needed to pick up their older albums. I know that I bought 2112, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures very soon after that. By the end of the 90's, I pretty much had everything that Rush had put out at that point, except for their 1st album which I was kinda against for reasons that seem dumb to me now... I guess I thought it wasn't 'real Rush' because Neil didn't play on it or write lyrics for it. But eventually I got over that smile.gif Anyway, I voted for Counterparts since Chronicles wasn't an option. Test for Echo was the 1st album I bought on release day. Edited by Kenny Olav

2112. I have an enormous random music collection on my hard drive, and that album just happened to be on it. I only went to find it because one of my musical idols at the time said in an interview that he was interested in Rush and I figured they couldn't be that bad.

I now own all their albums and I've been completely addicted to everything and anything Rush for about 2 1/2 years now.

I've told this story before, but here goes again.......

I was 13 years old, and there were 3 kids that lived next door, the middle one also being 13. His older brother liked Rush, and had a cassette copy of 2112. The older brother was kind of tired of 2112 though (blasphemy!) and really liked Styx's latest album, Paradise Theater. So he proposed an even-up trade with me, and I said ok. I loved 2112, very interesting to a young intellectual boy who could appreciate all the nuances that Rush provided.

I had heard of Rush only once before.....when we went to visit family in the Detroit area in 1980, and I heard "Tom Sawyer" on the radio, and they were advertising Rush coming to Cobo Hall (all you Detroit metro area folks may remember that place). Well as I got into 2112 more, I found out that the name of that song I liked was "Tom Sawyer" and I went to the local record store, and found 2 albums that had this song on it....."Moving Pictures" and the newly released "Exit...Stage Left" I think ESL was on sale, and since that one had more songs, I bought it with money I had saved up from mowing lawns. And I WORE THAT THING OUT.....literally. After about 500 plays in my tape deck, the tape broke (Mercury tapes remain the worst I have ever seen to this day), and at age 16 I bought another copy.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 23 2011, 09:31 AM)
I cherish the vinyls that I do have - in particular COS, 2112, AFTK, and Hemispheres because those are gatefold. Sorry, CD inserts can't compete.

2112 on vinyl is pretty cool. yes.gif

I've got FBN, 2112, PW, MP, Signals, ATWAS, and ESL on vinyl. Damn I feel old. laugh.gif

Presto doesn't get a lot of love around here; many like to bash it for various reasons. But I'll say this: it was the first Rush album I ever heard, the first I bought, and it was the one that turned me into a die-hard fan. So while it might not stand up against 2112 or MP for some, if it successfully turns people on to the band, that makes it awesome wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 25 2011, 10:29 AM)
Presto doesn't get a lot of love around here; many like to bash it for various reasons. But I'll say this: it was the first Rush album I ever heard, the first I bought, and it was the one that turned me into a die-hard fan. So while it might not stand up against 2112 or MP for some, if it successfully turns people on to the band, that makes it awesome wink.gif

Every Rush album has it's merits. That is why Rush is so special in my book. If they would have not made Presto, we wouldn't have Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, or War Paint.

My mother got me RUSH Gold. After a couple of months I downloaded from ITUNES Hemispheres and then A Farewell to Kings. I was disappointed in the sound quality, so I went out and bought the CD's. Greatest thing ever, listening to Hemispheres in my car stereo...absolutely perfect!!

My First was the Snakes & Arrows Live. I was trying to get the most Rush I could for my $$$ and find an album, which back then I didn't know the difference between compilation and studio, so I bought Snakes and Arrows. I got into Rush through Guitar hero a was such a YYZ nerd and sung it ALL THE TIME(as an 8th grader). So sometime between 8th grade and 9th, my friend's father found out that's what Rush was too me and drug me down into his man-cave and made me listen to 2112. I remember thinking how cool it was. I went home that night, looked as much rush up on the internet, and listened to it all the time. Eventually I got my the S&A CD because I noticed many of the songs as it was just after the S&A tour started. One thing I think is amazing, is that I couldn't tell the eras apart. Limelight seemed just as modern as The Larger Bowl, because I didn't know any better. And I think that's why I love ALL Rush, and don't judge by era. I have different opinions about every album and era, but it's all still Rush to me.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 25 2011, 12:03 PM)

Every Rush album has it's merits. That is why Rush is so special in my book. If they would have not made Presto, we wouldn't have Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, or War Paint.

goodpost.gif We wouldn't have one of the best-sounding Rush albums (quality), IMO, either. smile.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Aug 25 2011, 07:21 PM)

goodpost.gif We wouldn't have one of the best-sounding Rush albums (quality), IMO, either. smile.gif

Love Presto!

trink39.gif

Exit...Stage Left AND Permanent Waves on cassette, back in February '93...I bugged my dad that I wanted a my own cassette player/stereo, so for my 8th birthday, he got me one, along with the 2 Rush tapes, and Pink Floyd The Wall on cassette tongue.gif Edited by ALifeson85

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 25 2011, 11:43 PM)

Love Presto!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Aug 26 2011, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 25 2011, 11:43 PM)

Love Presto!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

yes.gif

After I started listening to Spirit of Radio comp., I asked Gilby if he had any more and he said "yeah, loads!" he has a very large tape collection of all sorts of bands. I went through them and found RTB, PoW, PeW, FBN, E...SL, Rush, ATWAS, CoS, HYF, MP, SoH, 2112 and Presto. It certainly helped turn me into a fan.