What Was Your First RUSH Album

drbirdsong

What was the first Rush album you owned?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first Rush album you owned?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • All The World's A Stage
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Exit Stage Left
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • A Show Of Hands
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Different Stages
    • Vapor Trails
    • Rush In Rio
    • Feedback
    • R30
    • Snakes And Arrows
    • Snakes And Arrows Live
    • Grace Under Pressure Tour
    • Working Men
    • Caravan

By owned, I'm not sure if that means purchased or had in my possesion. Back in 1976 I was 9 years old and my sisters had FBN, CoS, 2112, and ATWAS and I listened to them constantly. A couple years later my brother had the cassette of 2112 that kinda became mine after a while. It wasnt until 1981 after seeing Rush in concert that I went and bought all of their albums within a 2 month period.

So I kinda consider 2112 as my first because I had the cassette so I could take it anywhere and play it for my friends and also in someone's car. It was the album I knew the best back in the 70's and when someone said the name "Rush" I identified them with 2112.

From around 1990 on all I had were mixtapes from my friend. After the show last fall, the first albums my boyfriend and I bought (on CD) were 2112, Moving Pictures, and the first Icon compilation, all on the same day, because that's what the store had. I voted for MP because it had less votes.

We picked up Signals and Presto on cassette in a used store a month or two later.

The next wave of CD buying was Signals, Presto, Roll The Bones, and S & A, again, all the same day, as that's what the store had.

My boyfriend bought the Spirit of Radio compilation (twice) and maybe some other compilations on CD along the way, but I can't remember when.

Edited by 1 of the 7

In order until first studio album:

Retrospectives volume 1/2

Retrospective volume 3

Caravan/BU2B

I got into Rush in 2007, just as they were on tour. I wound up missing the Montreal show by a week or two, but the setlist would likely have put me off the band at the time.

Grace Under Pressure - I heard this fabulous and unique song at night on the radio while going to sleep. Finally the radio announcer said it was Distant Early Warning by Rush. I'd heard the name of the band (which gave me some comfort), then saw their album display at the mall record store and bought the tape. Been my favorite band ever since.

Got 2 things for my 8th birthday. Permanent Waves on cassette (1984) and an Ibanez 4-string bass guitar.

Of course I couldnt reach the end frets of that bass at that age so I had to take lessons on an acoustic guitar.

Edited by trenken

Hemispheres. When I moved in with my Hubby-to-be and his roomie, they sat me down and played this for me. It blew me away, especially La Villa. Then they proceeded to play me 2112, AFTK and PeW. This was in 1980 so when MP came out, I was primed.

I got a lot in a sudden burst: Permanent Waves was first closely followed by 2112, Rush Through Time, AFTK, Archives, Hemispheres, ATWAS, then eventually the first three albums separately...

Moving Pictures was the first "forthcoming" "new" album that didn't exist until after I had already become a RUSHIE fool...that I picked up...and it took me a while to accept it, well a day or two anyway...

biggrin.gif

ATWAS - a few years later I was infected with the Rush virus when I heard a radio special about E...SL - they played almost the whole album and I recorded it with my cassette player - ah, those were the days...

Around 1985, a classmate gave me a casette copy from his Dad's GUP vinyl.

So, GUP was my first album. Shortly after, I bought my first Rush tape. It was probably either 2112 or MP.

Moving Pictures, on vinyl.

I first got into Rush with "Tom Sawyer" in the spring, then appropriated my brother's copy of Moving Pictures for the summer, then finally bought my own copy with money earmarked for fall "school clothes." laugh.gif

Awwww, I'm such a noob. I first began loving Rush in late 2009, when there weren't any new album releases. Horrible timing! ohmy.gif

I believe my first album was Vapor Trails, on CD. I also have Snakes and Arrows and Retrospective 3; the remaining albums I have bought as mp3s from Amazon and iTunes. But I would very much like some vinyls, even though no one in my family owns a record player. They would be epic just to have. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I cherish the vinyls that I do have - in particular COS, 2112, AFTK, and Hemispheres because those are gatefold. Sorry, CD inserts can't compete.

Chronicles. It came out around the time I was getting into them so the timing was perfect for me.

I had liked what I heard on the radio and this compilation was a nice introduction to them. After that i'm pretty sure that MP and PW were the first studio releases I got.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Aug 23 2011, 10:05 AM)
Well, the first album I heard was 2112. I found my Dad's copy and gave it a spin. He had a lot of the back catalog.

The first one I, personally, owned? Roll the Bones.

Well, you started out better than I did smile.gif

I thought 2112 was just the parts that were on Chronicles for quite a while until I heard the entire song. Blew me away.

I was slow getting into Rock.... I listened to the radio and they played mostly pop, and that's what I listened to until I got into HS. Slowly I got into Rock... Boston, Eagles, Van Halen and then Rush.

2.gif Vinyl I confiscated off my older sister(and still have) tongue.gif

The first Rush I bought with my own money was Hemispheres on 8 track....