For those who rock

TheY2k

I'll be honest. I play the ocarina. It's got 6 holes and plays one octave plus two extra notes and, although all the sharps and flats are there, as far as Rush songs are concerned, it's very restrictive. Gilby did work out the notes for the main theme of "Leave That Thing Alone" for me which I've yet to transcribe into an ocarina tab form. If I crack just that little bit I'm gonna a very happ bunny I can tell you! But "La Villa" might just be out of my league!

I know that frustration you get when you're struggling to learn ANY new piece. All I can say is just keep chipping away at it. You'll get there in the end. Stop trying to be Alex and just be yourself. Be kind to yourself.

FWIW I think your song list is very impressive. 1022.gif 2.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thank you I'm glad someone does! I used to own a ocarina and they rock! I'm suprised you can play rush on it, but that's amazing!!!

QUOTE (TheY2k @ Aug 18 2011, 08:58 PM)
Well thank you I'm glad someone does! I used to own a ocarina and they rock! I'm suprised you can play rush on it, but that's amazing!!!

No,no, no! Only a PART of ONE song! And even then I haven't actually got my head round it yet. It's just waiting for me to get round to taking a look to see if I can play it. Not that amazing! laugh.gif

Edited by LyndseyG

Use an application or a device which will allow you to slow the song down without loosing pitch and learn it note for note really slow. Then practice speeding it up. I'm pretty sure Alex did this back in the day using the record player learning to play solos of his favorites. Good luck.

I learned everything I could from Alex....copping his sounds, solos, equipment... all of it. What that did for me was teach me technical playing skills, only because I practiced a lot!

yes.gif

My husband tells me that once I can play Alex's stuff I will find most other stuff pretty easy. So far, that's been the case. But I keep coming back to Rush songs because, dammit, I want to be able to play songs I love! smile.gif

Now excuse me while I go work on Presto... again! wink.gif

QUOTE (jgflorida @ Aug 18 2011, 03:08 PM)
Use an application or a device which will allow you to slow the song down without loosing pitch and learn it note for note really slow. Then practice speeding it up. I'm pretty sure Alex did this back in the day using the record player learning to play solos of his favorites. Good luck.

Audacity. That is all. wink.gif

If you want to rock, don't stress yourself. Learn from all the artists you love and you will get your own sound, like someone else said before. It might be better to learn easier songs to start with than progressively go to more complex ones. Rush has complex timings so if you can play most of the songs you already listed, you should be a great player already.

You should definitely join a band and enjoy making your own music with other people just like you.

Oh and forget the tabs, use your ears!

moon.gif

QUOTE (gabpower @ Aug 19 2011, 08:52 AM)

moon.gif

That right there is some really, really good advice!

When I was younger, figuring out music....there was no tab, I had to use my ears and guess what? You get so much more connected to the music that way.

It forced me to listen hard and try the riff at one position and then another position. Experimentation goes a long long way towards revelation! Sometimes nowadays if I need to learn something quickly I'll look at some TAB, it seems like such a pale substitute for really learning the music.

One other thing I'll add...most TAB I've ever seen has been wrong! I'll trust my own ears thank you very much!

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 19 2011, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (gabpower @ Aug 19 2011, 08:52 AM)

moon.gif

That right there is some really, really good advice!

When I was younger, figuring out music....there was no tab, I had to use my ears and guess what? You get so much more connected to the music that way.

It forced me to listen hard and try the riff at one position and then another position. Experimentation goes a long long way towards revelation! Sometimes nowadays if I need to learn something quickly I'll look at some TAB, it seems like such a pale substitute for really learning the music.

One other thing I'll add...most TAB I've ever seen has been wrong! I'll trust my own ears thank you very much!

agreed

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Aug 18 2011, 12:39 AM)
Rush is not a religion.

Keep practicing.

Branch out and learn to play some other music.

Lighten up about it a bit. A reasonable dose of admiration for and inspiration from the band is fine but anything more than that is not healthy. And this is coming from someone who started playing guitar 25 years ago mostly because of listening to Alex. Ultimately, you're going to want to play like yourself more than copy others anyway no matter how good they are. Lifeson grew up wanting to play just like Jimmy Page (who doesn't?) but the reason people love his playing is because he started sounding like himself.

That's all I've got to offer.

That....The Holy Triumvirate is not to be messed with!

Learn, grasshopper!

Expand your knowledge, Rush isn't the ONLY band to seek as advisers...if you do...you'll be hard pressed to actually play with a band!!

Playing Rush is a good exercise, but there's more out there!

Play rock, play roll, play country, play western, play blues, play metal, play_____!

Alex is Alex

Geddy is Geddy

Neil is Neil

You is YOU!

Very. Very. Very. True

thank you all so much for your advice. I learned R30 overture yesterday without a problem so thank you all for your help. I just need to not stress out, because when I do I mess up on the intro for closer to the heart. Again this has been great! Thank you all for the advice smile.gif

Play for yourself because you enjoy it, don't worry about the rest. I play drums, but I suck - I also don't care! I play because it's fun for me, takes my mind off other things for awhile.

Branch out and learn some other stuff, some simple stuff that you can just wail on and let go!

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Aug 19 2011, 01:53 AM)
I learned everything I could from Alex....copping his sounds, solos, equipment... all of it. What that did for me was teach me technical playing skills, only because I practiced a lot!

yes.gif

My husband tells me that once I can play Alex's stuff I will find most other stuff pretty easy. So far, that's been the case. But I keep coming back to Rush songs because, dammit, I want to be able to play songs I love! smile.gif

Now excuse me while I go work on Presto... again! wink.gif

That's not true though. He's just trying to encourage you, but there are guitarists FAR more difficult to play than Alex.

The beauty of Rush is that they are great song writers, but there are bands that are way above Rush in terms of difficulty. Relative to bands like Dream Theater for example, Rush is really easy to play, all of it, but Rush are much better song writers than DT ever was.

art (which ever discipline) comes from the heart and soul. sometimes it is difficult. dont give up smile.gif i do know what im talking about smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken)
I guess when I was about 14 I got my first 6 string bass and leapfrogged over them to a band far more difficult band to play, Dream Theater. Who is so much more complex than Rush ever was.

Sure, but Rush does it gracefully. With DT I just feel like they try to cram as much sh*t into the song as they can.

I'm just going to reply to your original post here, although it looks like the thread gets pretty long and you may have solved your issues smile.gif

I've been playing drums for 30 years, and once Rush got into my playlist I had a lot of frustrating times. However, they were challenging and absolutely worthwhile from a learning perspective (I'm self-taught as well).

At the end of the day though I realized that music was not my "job" and would not be my "job". So playing Rush became a lot more enjoyable.

I think you're a lot like me -- you put pressure on yourself to perfect every song that you can . It's an admirable trait, but if you are not doing it as a career you need to cut yourself some slack and enjoy the experience as an artist.