Lifeson Single for THE DOUBLE

Derek Haas

Hi... I'm Derek Haas... I wrote the movie THE DOUBLE that comes out next month. Alex Lifeson played guitar on the score throughout the movie (the great John Debney composed it.)

We asked Alex to write a song for the closing credits and he wrote/recorded "Don't Look Back," a brand-spanking new single.

I'll upload it here if someone will tell me how to do it. (I'm new to the Rush forum.) Maybe I'll put it up on youtube if that'll help.

QUOTE (furie @ Aug 15 2011, 09:06 PM)
youtube might be easier to do.

Yeah, I agree.

And welcome, Derek. imdb tells me you also wrote "3:10 to Yuma" and "Wanted," two films I enjoyed tremendously. You and Michael Brandt make a good team.

Once you upload the song to YouTube, please post the link here.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (Derek Haas @ Aug 15 2011, 08:01 PM)
Hi... I'm Derek Haas... I wrote the movie THE DOUBLE that comes out next month. Alex Lifeson played guitar on the score throughout the movie (the great John Debney composed it.)

We asked Alex to write a song for the closing credits and he wrote/recorded "Don't Look Back," a brand-spanking new single.

I'll upload it here if someone will tell me how to do it. (I'm new to the Rush forum.) Maybe I'll put it up on youtube if that'll help.

Welcome here, and best of luck on the movie! trink39.gif

Thanks for trying to get us the new Alex song. I look forward to hearing it.

Sorry for the delay. I'm asking for permission instead of forgiveness. Maybe should have gone the other way around.

The movie is limited release... 10 cities, something like 50 screens. It's the first movie my partner Michael directed... we did it with independent financing so not the big studio release.

Trailer will be out this week I think.

It's cool to be here. Alex is the best.

Hey Derek, hope you can get the permission/forgiveness/grovelling thing worked out so we can get a sneak listen to this song. biggrin.gif

In the meantime, if you can, maybe you could share with us how the idea to have Alex play on the soundtrack came to be, and how you went about approaching him about it?

Yeah... it's an Alex single, sans Geddy and Neil.

How this came about: Michael and I got to know Alex and Geddy when they were in LA finishing Snakes & Arrows. Alex is a movie-buff and literature-buff and he expressed interest in scoring films. (I hope you detect my admiration shining through... he's truly one of the greatest guys I've ever met. Geddy too, but that's a different story.) As we were putting THE DOUBLE together, Michael and I told Alex we'd love for him to be included any way he wanted. We did the movie for very little money so we weren't going to be able to afford him but we wanted to throw it out there. He was between the two tours so he asked us to send him the latest cut of the film and he started talking to the composer (Debney) via email and the phone. Then he just went to town... the guy is astonishing. And generous.

The single is definitely not a RUSH song but you can sure here Alex's distinctive "voice" all over it. Still working it out on posting it. Really sorry I jumped the gun.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 17 2011, 11:03 AM)
i loved Victor so i am looking forward to hearing this! trink39.gif

Victor was a good CD, IMO.

Derek,

Thanks for the post and heads-up. The movie looks like something I would enjoy. With Lerxst involved, I might actually go to the theater to see it (other than taking kids to see movies they want to see, I go about every three years)