Are Rush done with "Evening With" tours?

The Owl

You cannot deny that the boys are getting older... and yet I still feel they have a couple of album cycle/tours still left in them....

Recording an album is standard, you do it at the pace and intensity you want..... not much fatigue can come from the recording process of an album, well, at least not much than that of a world tour...

But as I mentioned tours can wear even a young band out, not much less a band of member are nearly in their 60s.....but yet even then Rush on this last tour Rush didn't really show it, but that day is coming...

I do feel however that Rush may on their next tour, relax it just a bit, and probably stop the "evening with" tours, and will go out as the headlining act with an opening band.... not that I would "want it" its just that the boys cannot do "evening with tours" until their 90s..

I feel that that it might relax the pace and how grueling a tour can be if they once again go with an opening act..

Your opinions?

I think that there's a slight possibility that they will quit playing Evening With tours, but my guess is that when they get to the point where they can no longer perform a 3 hour show they will call it quits. I wouldn't mind seeing them if they had an opening act who was good. I'd love to see a band like Porcupine Tree open for Rush, but it isn't likely.

No, they will continue their evening with RUSH tours. They were still going strong at the end of this tour. I think they might play a few less shows per leg with perhaps a few more off days but that would be the extent of it. I can see R40 being the last of the big touring schedule but not yet...CA will be an amazing album and tour...can't wait!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 9 2011, 05:54 PM)
And please excuse the grammar error with the title of this thread... I don't proofread.

bd.gif

laugh.gif

I'm with CFYYZ and QoM... if they can't do the whole show, they won't do it at all.

They'll continue to do evening with shows but cut down the actual time that they're actually playing. The VT tour ran about 10 minutes longer, had a shorter intermission, less videos and more songs than Time Machine. So they've already gone down that road and will continue. It isn't the same 3hr show as it was in the past.

I think once they first went over that "Evening With" edge it was a done deal, but I did see a Yes/Styx show that was surprisingly wonderful a couple of weeks ago. If they are going to have an opening act then it would have to be someone quite good. I could see them perhaps touring with a veteran rocker of equal experience. Blue Oyster Cult maybe or someone like that, but I would rather just see Rush. Period.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 10 2011, 09:21 AM)

Recording an album is standard, you do it at the pace and intensity you want.....  not much fatigue can come from the recording process of an album, well, at least not much than that of a world tour...

Even while it's done at their own pace, I think their recording process can be quite tiring. They're perfectionists after all.

These days I can only imagine them doing the Evening with shows or just being one of many bands at some kind of festival/benefit concert. And I do think that their gigs will not be as long as they have been...if they play 3 hours now then perhaps it'll be 15-30 minutes less in the near future.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 9 2011, 07:31 PM)
I think it's the traveling that is tiring, not the performing.

This, plus ofcourse they dont actually play 3 hours .

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 10 2011, 03:31 AM)
I thonk they will continue the 3 hour concerts. Yes, they are older but I can think of a few bands that are older than they are still perform 2 sets. Phil Lesh from The Grateful Dead is 70 years old and he's still performing 3 hours a show.

I was going to bring up Phil as well (no sign of age or slowing down for a 71 year old). Bobby's no spring chicken either.

trink39.gif

I think the 'evening with' is here to stay. I agree that they'll hang it up before shortening the shows.

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Aug 9 2011, 07:47 PM)
No, they will continue their evening with RUSH tours. They were still going strong at the end of this tour. I think they might play a few less shows per leg with perhaps a few more off days but that would be the extent of it. I can see R40 being the last of the big touring schedule but not yet...CA will be an amazing album and tour...can't wait!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

They seem to have enough energy to keep rocking with the length of their shows, but maybe cut back a bit on doing so many shows. More time in between shows. I think they (at least Geddy and Alex!) have lots of fun with the concerts, and don't see them taking steps backwards with lessening the show's duration or having an opening act.

They won't go back to an opening act! They have so much material themselves to play in the allotted time of a show they have to do an "evening with" show!

This is the way the fans want it anyway!