Neil Gives Unannounced Clinic in Vermont

The Mighty Dudad

QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 5 2011, 01:24 PM)
Yep. That's where Florida is.

There's nowhere to play here.

The Florida Fun Fest is August 14th I think, so Neil can chopper on by and we'll give some onions. It's onion country out here, and then he can polka with the locals! common001.gif laugh.gif

I have no recollection of why I used to drive through there, but I remember the area. I remember the drive-in, every Route 17 spur converging, and some joint in Chester called Clayton Delaney's (I don't even know how I found it or why I was there, but in the mid 90s, they had some good tortellini). I can't think of one place near there that would be big enough. I guess the drive-in is your best bet, but still dreadfully small for something like that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Aug 5 2011, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 4 2011, 11:52 PM)
he was?

Yup, I think CT was the guy who talked about Subdivisions.

He was told by the film makers to be cool, or he would be cast out.. of the film. It doesn't just happen in high school halls and basement bars, people. We're talking movie sets to the.. NY Jets. Ask Boba Fett.

[Khan, please insert Monty Python foot squash gif here, please]

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Aug 5 2011, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 4 2011, 11:52 PM)
he was?

Yup, I think CT was the guy who talked about Subdivisions.

Yes, that was me. I was the second one after Chris Schneberger.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 5 2011, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 3 2011, 11:44 AM)
I think it's pretty f-n cool he did that. Guess he is not that afraid of people after all laugh.gif

Im sure he got paid for it.

so.......waddyou get paid fer?jealous? lol

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 5 2011, 05:23 PM)
I think it's pretty f-n cool he did that. Guess he is not that afraid of people after all laugh.gif

Are you sure? How do you know? Why would assume that? What evidence do you have? Throwing out an assumption like that opens you up to proving it.

Even if he did -- so what? What skin is that off your nose? Is Neil being paid for something going to take money away from you?

wtf.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Aug 6 2011, 06:07 AM)

Are you sure? How do you know? Why would assume that? What evidence do you have? Throwing out an assumption like that opens you up to proving it.

Even if he did -- so what? What skin is that off your nose? Is Neil being paid for something going to take money away from you?

wtf.gif

Congrats on completely missing the point. What's the reason most famous drummers give clinics? They get paid for it. It's a side job. Thomas Pridgen gets paid for clinics. Mike Portnoy does. Stu Copeland has been doing paid clinics for years.

Think about it. Tons of people want you to give a drum clinic far off in another state. Hmmmm.... what would make you want to do that. You arent getting any famous drummer to take time out of his life and travel to a clinic unless he was getting paid for it. Go put a call in to any famous drummer and ask him to go do a clinic for free, see how that works out for you.

I dont care that he did it or that he got paid for it. I think he should be paid for it. The guy I responded too said it was cool of him and he wasnt afraid of people. Money can help anyone get over those fears. Neil Peart isnt doing something like this as just a favor for no reason just to help a bunch of people learn drums that he's never met before and will never again. Common sense.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 7 2011, 09:10 AM)

wtf.gif

Congrats on completely missing the point. What's the reason most famous drummers give clinics? They get paid for it. It's a side job. Thomas Pridgen gets paid for clinics. Mike Portnoy does. Stu Copeland has been doing paid clinics for years.

Think about it. Tons of people want you to give a drum clinic far off in another state. Hmmmm.... what would make you want to do that. You arent getting any famous drummer to take time out of his life and travel to a clinic unless he was getting paid for it. Go put a call in to any famous drummer and ask him to go do a clinic for free, see how that works out for you.

I dont care that he did it or that he got paid for it. I think he should be paid for it. The guy I responded too said it was cool of him and he wasnt afraid of people. Money can help anyone get over those fears. Neil Peart isnt doing something like this as just a favor for no reason just to help a bunch of people learn drums that he's never met before and will never again. Common sense.

Congrats on making some good points, and for sounding like a condescending jerk while making them.

As for traveling all the way to Vermont just for a clinic, I'm wondering if he just happened to be at his house in Quebec (just across the border from Vermont) when this came up.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 7 2011, 01:47 PM)

wtf.gif

Congrats on making some good points, and for sounding like a condescending jerk while making them.

As for traveling all the way to Vermont just for a clinic, I'm wondering if he just happened to be at his house in Quebec (just across the border from Vermont) when this came up.

In his defense, HowItIs started it.

Or so it seems.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 7 2011, 02:58 PM)

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

Yeah, now that you mention it, she jumped on him a bit. Maybe there's some history there between the two of them that I don't know about?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 7 2011, 03:18 PM)

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

Yeah, now that you mention it, she jumped on him a bit. Maybe there's some history there between the two of them that I don't know about?

In HER defense she may have totally misinterpreted trenken's post. It's understandable given the general tone of the average Neil-thread on this board, thanks to the usual suspects who jump at the opportunity to turn those threads into "Neil's a dick" commentaries.

So yeah, she incorrectly read trenken's remark as a slam on Neil. It's not hard to see how, as I myself venture into Peart-themed threads with some preconceived notions about where they're going to go.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 7 2011, 02:26 PM)

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

In HER defense she may have totally misinterpreted trenken's post. It's understandable given the general tone of the average Neil-thread on this board, thanks to the usual suspects who jump at the opportunity to turn those threads into "Neil's a dick" commentaries.

So yeah, she incorrectly read trenken's remark as a slam on Neil. It's not hard to see how, as I myself venture into Peart-themed threads with some preconceived notions about where they're going to go.

How exactly can "I'm sure he got paid for it" be misinterpreted as a negative comment?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 7 2011, 05:00 PM)

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

How exactly can "I'm sure he got paid for it" be misinterpreted as a negative comment?

Eh, if you're perusing the thread expecting negativity and criticisms, that can influence the context in which you interpret something - even something pretty benign like trenken's post.

I read both posts and at the time I did think HowItIs had totally misconstrued trenk's remark. Just didn't think it was that big a deal at the time. It probably would not have been a problem in a face-to-face conversation.

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

How?

"I think it's pretty f-n cool he did that. Guess he is not that afraid of people after all laugh.gif"

"I'm sure he got paid for it." <-- one could easily construe this as a retort, claiming that its not a sign that Neil is not afraid of people and/or Neil is not in fact cool, but money was the motivation for him showing up.

Not passing judgment here, but its easy to see what could be read into that.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 7 2011, 05:08 PM)

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

Eh, if you're perusing the thread expecting negativity and criticisms, that can influence the context in which you interpret something - even something pretty benign like trenken's post.

And that is exactly why I responded to trenken like I did.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 7 2011, 05:08 PM)
I read both posts and at the time I did think HowItIs had totally misconstrued trenk's remark.  Just didn't think it was that big a deal at the time.  It probably would not have been a problem in a face-to-face conversation.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 7 2011, 05:29 PM)
How?

"I think it's pretty f-n cool he did that. Guess he is not that afraid of people after all laugh.gif"

"I'm sure he got paid for it." <-- one could easily construe this as a retort, claiming that its not a sign that Neil is not afraid of people and/or Neil is not in fact cool, but money was the motivation for him showing up.

That all makes sense to me. yes.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 7 2011, 08:14 PM)
"He's giving a clinic" evolves into "I'm Offended!"

The story of Rush forums. rofl3.gif

What I usually see is..

"Hey Neil did something cool.."

"No, no, the guys a money grubbing douche who cant play the drums worth a shit...."

"F-ck you!"

"Eat me!"

"Small snack!"

"Takes one to know one!"

"I know you are but what am I?"

... and so forth.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 7 2011, 03:29 PM)

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

How?

"I'm sure he got paid"......and how is that offensive? That was a pretty harmless statement....damn. It didn't warrant a reponse like HowItis replied.....

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 7 2011, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 7 2011, 03:29 PM)

wtf.gif

Or so it seems.

How?

"I'm sure he got paid"......and how is that offensive? That was a pretty harmless statement....damn. It didn't warrant a reponse like HowItis replied.....

I didn't say it did, I was simply pointing out that the implication that money was, or could have been, the sole reason for the clinic was being introduced as what looked like a retort to the original statement; thereby presenting a contrarian view that Neil was "warming up" to people or being "cool."

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 7 2011, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 7 2011, 08:14 PM)
"He's giving a clinic" evolves into "I'm Offended!"

The story of Rush forums.  rofl3.gif

What I usually see is..

"Hey Neil did something cool.."

"No, no, the guys a money grubbing douche who cant play the drums worth a shit...."

"F-ck you!"

"Eat me!"

"Small snack!"

"Takes one to know one!"

"I know you are but what am I?"

... and so forth.

You forgot "I'm rubber, you're glue - whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you". tongue.gif