UFO

Earthshine

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Aug 4 2011, 11:26 PM)
Well..I heard that MS really didn't want to be in the band,
once UFO got really well known..on the verge of being
world-renowned.He didn't want to be in a Beatles-type
situation..can't really blame him.I think that had alot
to do with his drinking problem..He wanted NO PART
of fame, and everything that went with that.

Then why did he record albums and tour? If you don't want fame and fortune, record your music and don't release it.

Agreed..(to a certain extent)

He should have stayed an unknown, like you said,

then he probably would have been better off..

he obviously didn't have the personality to be a

BIG TIME rock star..then again who does???

I think stage fright MIGHT have been a factor..

( ALOT of rock stars PROBABLY have it..

It sure as heck ain't easy getting up in front

of a huge concert-full of people,I would assume)

and by drinking, he was trying to compensate for that..

but that's ALL speculation on my part..I sure ain't

no shrink..that's for sure.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Aug 4 2011, 11:51 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 5 2011, 04:56 AM)
I always thought of him as "UK's Eddie Van Halen" lol

He's from Germany - just sayin' wink.gif

no shit but he joined a band and became huge in UK.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 5 2011, 01:06 AM)
Been listening to Mechanix and The Wild The Willing and The Innocent on my ipod as of late. 1022.gif
Seen UFO & Cheap Trick 1981? Richfield Coliseum  that was one great concert!! yes.gif

Yeah, those are great albums. Those and No Place To Run. I learned in the great book UFO Shoot Out The Lights by Martin Popoff, who also wrote Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away that UFO were real into heroin at this point.

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 5 2011, 01:06 AM)

Seen UFO & Cheap Trick 1981? Richfield Coliseum that was one great concert!! yes.gif

I did. Radio city music hall. Feb 1981. 1022.gif

I did buy a ticket to see them on Sept. 19 per my previous post. Smaller venue (650 or so seats) and general admission seating so should get reasonably close and all. I went for it based on a couple of posts on this thread recommending them even at this later stage of their careers. I'll post some thoughts afterwards. Never seen them so definitely looking forward to it. 1022.gif

Seeing Montrose at the same venue the night before too and have never seen them either (no Hagar of course). Should be a lot of fun. 653.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Aug 10 2011, 02:48 PM)
I did buy a ticket to see them on Sept. 19 per my previous post. Smaller venue (650 or so seats) and general admission seating so should get reasonably close and all. I went for it based on a couple of posts on this thread recommending them even at this later stage of their careers. I'll post some thoughts afterwards. Never seen them so definitely looking forward to it. 1022.gif
Seeing Montrose at the same venue the night before too and have never seen them either (no Hagar of course). Should be a lot of fun. 653.gif

Enjoy it. It will be a great show.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 3 2011, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 2 2011, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 2 2011, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 2 2011, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 2 2011, 01:02 AM)
I read somewhere that michael schenker tried to get alex and geddy to join his band, not sure if that's bullshit or not

That's true. Michael wanted Alex and Geddy to play on his first solo album I think or form a band with him. Would have been interesting with Simon Phillips on drums.

I wonder why he didn't want Neil? Or did Neil not want in on the Lee Lifeson Schenker project?

unsure.gif

Neil's playing is way too busy. I don't think it would be Schenker's thing..

Because Simon Phillips is a much, much better drummer than Neil. Simple decision really.

DOH!!

it WAS Neil he wanted. Neil and Geddy!

he says so at about 2:53 in

...but then he goes on to say they were actually going to do it, which I don't buy so maybe his memory is a little foggy lol

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 14 2011, 01:41 PM)
I read somewhere that michael schenker tried to get alex and geddy to join his band, not sure if that's bullshit or not

That's true. Michael wanted Alex and Geddy to play on his first solo album I think or form a band with him. Would have been interesting with Simon Phillips on drums.

I wonder why he didn't want Neil? Or did Neil not want in on the Lee Lifeson Schenker project?

unsure.gif

Because Simon Phillips is a much, much better drummer than Neil. Simple decision really.

DOH!!

...but then he goes on to say they were actually going to do it, which I don't buy so maybe his memory is a little foggy lol

It would've been awesome!

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 14 2011, 12:41 PM)

unsure.gif

DOH!!

That makes more sense. He was basically replacing Alex with himself. Two guitarists and a bass player would have been a bit too radical and if they had used Simon Philips I couldn't see Alex and Schenker gelling too well..

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 14 2011, 04:06 PM)
He probably meant that they were going to play on the album. Any notion that they would disband Rush is ludicrous.

Oh I don't know about that Tonio, I'm pretty sure we were pretty close to having NSG instead of MSG and only a bout of flu prevented it from happening...

1022.gif

UFO kicks A*S...all that needs to be said..period. yes.gif
  • Like 1

He probably meant that they were going to play on the album. Any notion that they would disband Rush is ludicrous.

I don't think Schenker was trying to steal them from Rush. Probably just for an album.

OK, saw them night before last and all I've got to say is that if they're coming to your neck of the woods, GO SEE THEM!! (They are touring down the west coast at present) A 2 hour show with prettty much every song you'd want to hear. Phil Mogg's voice is still very good and I saw them from about 15 feet away (I believe most of the venues are going to be small). Vinnie Moore is a fine, fine guitarist. $25 for the show with a nu metal band opening (called Mindflow........nu metal is not my cup but these guys were a definite cut above most of that genre) was a MAJOR bargain. The place is a small theater (800 capacity) so no bad seats. It's an older, kind of dumpy place but nicely intimate and excellent acoustics. (I've also seen Wishbone Ash, Savoy Brown and The Tubes there along with Montrose the night before)

One thing that crossed my mind while watching the show is the divergent paths this band and Rush took after they toured together back in the day. I just saw Rush twice, once with 12,000 other people (6/28/11) and once with 16,000-17,000 other people (7/2/2011). Then a couple of months later I'm seeing UFO with 800 people. Made me wonder if UFO might have done much better if Schenker had stayed. I don't think they ever would've been Rush (not enough "rocket sauce" ??), but I do think they certainly could have been a bit bigger than they ended up being as they wrote some very good songs and plenty more than a couple of them.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 15 2011, 08:44 AM)

I don't think Schenker was trying to steal them from Rush. Probably just for an album.

I seem to recall on one of the Rush albums from the 70's, Rush actually acknowledging and thanking UFO. And of course Ged mentions UFO in the movie.

oh and UFO rocks

1022.gif

Strangers in the Night is one of my fave live albums.

• Like 1

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Sep 21 2011, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 15 2011, 08:44 AM)

I seem to recall on one of the Rush albums from the 70's, Rush actually acknowledging and thanking UFO. And of course Ged mentions UFO in the movie.

oh and UFO rocks

1022.gif

Strangers in the Night is one of my fave live albums.

1022.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Sep 21 2011, 02:05 PM)
OK, saw them night before last and all I've got to say is that if they're coming to your neck of the woods, GO SEE THEM!! (They are touring down the west coast at present) A 2 hour show with prettty much every song you'd want to hear. Phil Mogg's voice is still very good and I saw them from about 15 feet away (I believe most of the venues are going to be small). Vinnie Moore is a fine, fine guitarist. $25 for the show with a nu metal band opening (called Mindflow........nu metal is not my cup but these guys were a definite cut above most of that genre) was a MAJOR bargain. The place is a small theater (800 capacity) so no bad seats. It's an older, kind of dumpy place but nicely intimate and excellent acoustics. (I've also seen Wishbone Ash, Savoy Brown and The Tubes there along with Montrose the night before)

One thing that crossed my mind while watching the show is the divergent paths this band and Rush took after they toured together back in the day. I just saw Rush twice, once with 12,000 other people (6/28/11) and once with 16,000-17,000 other people (7/2/2011). Then a couple of months later I'm seeing UFO with 800 people. Made me wonder if UFO might have done much better if Schenker had stayed. I don't think they ever would've been Rush (not enough "rocket sauce" ??), but I do think they certainly could have been a bit bigger than they ended up being as they wrote some very good songs and plenty more than a couple of them.

Glad you saw them and that they were as great as I thought they would be.

Don't think UFO could have made it with Schenker. Too much going on there. Too much baggage and history.

Moore is great. The new UFO is cool. I wish Pete Way would come back though.

By the way, check out 1980-83 UFO with Paul Chapman. Great stuff!