UFO

Earthshine

U.F.O. with Schenker was great - love the 'Obsession' album.

In the special thanks credits on 'Strangers In The Night' Rush is mentioned. Just sayin'.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 1 2011, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Aug 1 2011, 03:21 PM)
I only have the live album, Strangers in the Night.  Decent songs, but they sound so dated now. The group pic on the inside sleeve of Strangers HAD to be an inspiration for Spinal Tap...friggin hilarious.

I don't get this whole "dated" thing. Either it's good or it isn't. The date has nothing to do with it.

And if you're listening to an album from 1979 why do you expect it to sound like it was recorded in 2009??

confused13.gif

I'm refering to the production and the lyrical themes. Dont get me wrong, i do like them, but stuff like " too hot to handle" just makes me chuckle.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 1 2011, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Aug 1 2011, 03:52 PM)
Has anyone seen them recently? They're coming to a smaller theater here in Portland on a Monday night and if I go I want it to be worth calling in sick (which I'd have to do to attend). Tix are quite reasonably priced as well. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have never seen them either btw. One of the few big or semi-big 70s bands I have not seen. Was supposed to see them 2nd on the bill with Blue Oyster Cult headlining in '78 but they canceled though the show went on without them.

Go see them. You will be glad you did. They are all real nice guys too if you get to talk to them. Phil especially.

Thanks. Likely I will.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Aug 1 2011, 11:44 PM)
U.F.O. with Schenker was great - love the 'Obsession' album.
In the special thanks credits on 'Strangers In The Night' Rush is mentioned. Just sayin'.

I read somewhere that when UFO opened for Rush, Phil Mogg being a joker used to try to sneak from one end of the stage to the other in the fog while Rush was playing Xanadu... laugh.gif

Great band - should have been huge but their liking of alcohol and other things got in the way.

I seem to remember reding somewhere that Pete Way left the band some time ago due to health reasons (see above) and has never come back/been invited back. He has played a few gigs - with Mr Schenker - but it seems doubtful that the classic line up will re-convene.

I saw them at Manchester Free Trade Hall just after Phenomenon had been released...brilliant riffs/songs/atmosphere. Not seen them since which is an awflul long time so can't really comment what they are like now. Mogg is still there, as is Parker and Raymond so they must still kick some ass!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 2 2011, 01:02 AM)
I read somewhere that michael schenker tried to get alex and geddy to join his band, not sure if that's bullshit or not

That's true. Michael wanted Alex and Geddy to play on his first solo album I think or form a band with him. Would have been interesting with Simon Phillips on drums.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 1 2011, 06:16 PM)
Electric Phase from the Lights Out album has the best guitar solo ever created by man.

I LOVE the guitar sound in that song.

there are SO MANY hidden gems in the Schenker material. the man is an absotute genius on the guitar.

listen to the long sustained note at the beginning of 'Getting Ready', he hits the note a little early and holds it seemingly forever. I don't think many people with Schenker's shredding ability would do stuff like that... he knows when to shred and when to play melody.

-the Guitar solo in 'Highway Lady' is probably the best example of this I can think of right now...

for me, Schenker has the most tasteful playing of anyone!

sorry for my Schenker gushing but UFO/Schenker is pretty much all I listen to right now smile.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 2 2011, 05:08 PM)
I read somewhere that michael schenker tried to get alex and geddy to join his band, not sure if that's bullshit or not

That's true. Michael wanted Alex and Geddy to play on his first solo album I think or form a band with him. Would have been interesting with Simon Phillips on drums.

I wonder why he didn't want Neil? Or did Neil not want in on the Lee Lifeson Schenker project?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 3 2011, 01:45 AM)

I wonder why he didn't want Neil? Or did Neil not want in on the Lee Lifeson Schenker project?

unsure.gif

Neil was joining Zep, post Bonham.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 2 2011, 07:52 PM)

unsure.gif

Ahead of Cozy Powell? Cozy had that gig locked down if Page and Plant had wanted to carry on...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 2 2011, 06:45 PM)

unsure.gif

Neil's playing is way too busy. I don't think it would be Schenker's thing..

unsure.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 2 2011, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 2 2011, 06:45 PM)

unsure.gif

Neil's playing is way too busy. I don't think it would be Schenker's thing..

Because Simon Phillips is a much, much better drummer than Neil. Simple decision really.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 2 2011, 08:04 PM)

unsure.gif

Ahead of Cozy Powell? Cozy had that gig locked down if Page and Plant had wanted to carry on...

It was either going to be Cozy or Alan White. Carmine said they wanted him, but I take that with a grain of salt.

I doubt that Page, Plant and Jones had any idea of who Neil was back then. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 3 2011, 02:45 PM)
honestly I don't think neil's personality would jive with schenker's prima donna alcoholic ass

Of course, even Phil Mogg's drunken arse couldn't put up with him...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 3 2011, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 3 2011, 02:45 PM)
honestly I don't think neil's personality would jive with schenker's prima donna alcoholic ass

Of course, even Phil Mogg's drunken arse couldn't put up with him...

laugh.gif

Mogg is clean and sober. So is Schenker.

I thought it was mainly Schenker that had the drinking issues. one of the reason's I always thought of him as "UK's Eddie Van Halen" lol

Well..I heard that MS really didn't want to be in the band,

once UFO got really well known..on the verge of being

world-renowned.He didn't want to be in a Beatles-type

situation..can't really blame him.I think that had alot

to do with his drinking problem..He wanted NO PART

of fame, and everything that went with that.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 5 2011, 04:56 AM)
I always thought of him as "UK's Eddie Van Halen" lol

He's from Germany - just sayin' wink.gif

Been listening to Mechanix and The Wild The Willing and The Innocent on my ipod as of late. 1022.gif

Seen UFO & Cheap Trick 1981? Richfield Coliseum that was one great concert!! yes.gif