28 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Soundgarden
    • Peter Frampton
    • Neither
    • I would rather go to the sun with Frampton
    • Matt Cameron played with Geddy so I like it better

Frampton all the way!!

I am so pumped! I have great dinner seats to see Peter at the Wente Winery in Livermore on August 9th on the "Alive 35" Tour.

I love Soundgarden, but give me Frampton any day!

Signed,

Sealed, Delivered.......... you're mine.

laugh.gif

I love the original, it will always come first. But my first time hearing the Frampton version was live and it was amazing, especially what he does with the talk box. Both are good in my book.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 30 2011, 09:15 AM)
That Frampton version is bloody awful.

yes.gif

Frampton

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 31 2011, 08:20 AM)
Both are cool. But I prefer Frampton because it doesn't sound so grunge.

Frampton's version is very close to Soundgarden's original -- it's like he took the Guitar Hero version and replaced the vocals with his guitar. Same tempo, same arpeggio patterns, same drumming style. Saying the original was "so grunge" as opposed to Frampton's doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

That said, I like Frampton as a guitar player and he does an admirable job with this, but the talk box during the verses is annoying to me, and I really miss Cornell's vocals.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 1 2011, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 1 2011, 02:50 PM)
the talk box during the verses is annoying, and I really miss Cornell's vocals.

Zactly.

You guys must not have been around in the 70's! rofl3.gif

I think it is kind of cool actually. Something a little different you know?

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 1 2011, 02:57 PM)

Zactly.

I was around in the '70s. rofl3.gif

I don't know what made me use that smiley there...

Anyway, I was a kid when Frampton Comes Alive and Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic came out. The talk box sounded cool on songs like "Do You Feel Like We Do" and "Sweet Emotion," among others.

It sounds out of place on Frampton's "Black Hole Sun" to me -- probably because the rest of the song sounds almost exactly like Soundgarden's original version, the talk box is replacing Chris Cornell. Unless you change the whole sound and style of the song, it's not a good idea to replace Chris Cornell, IMO.

Neither. I remember first hearing this song on Rock Band. For some reason it ALWAYS came up when we hit random song or had to do one during the tour mode. We wound up hating it because it was so boring (and we had to play it god knows how many times to advance). Now if they could only combine the guitar in Frempton's version with the vocals of Soundgarden and we'd have a winner. Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 1 2011, 06:57 PM)

Zactly.

Pulling the toenails off a cat and recording the poor pussy's sonic reactions would be "a little different" too, and just as annoying.

I'm from the 70's, I found those frigging talk boxes annoying then too. Almost ruined Sweet Emotion for me, but Tom Hamilton's kick-ass bass rules supreme.

I think the part of the problem with the talk boxes or vocoders or whatever was that they were "trendy" for a short while, and like everything "trendy", it gets old and dated quickly, especially if you weren't a huge fan to begin with.

As to the song, it has got to be in my Top Twenty Most-Hated. I never liked anything grunge, but the main reason I have such a specific hatred for Black Hole Sun is that it's one of those songs that tends to get stuck in my brain and will. Not. Go away.

Just seeing the thread title on the main board triggered it, and now my brain is shrieking "Black hole sun, won't you come, and wash away the pain. . ." OVERANDOVERANDFREAKINGOVER.

Thanks Earthshine. Next time just shove a dagger into my brain via my ear canals - it's faster and more merciful.