Buying the same album more than once

Soni

I realised I have Moving Pictures four times!

Twice on vinyl (one is framed on my wall) the other is for listening.

I have the 1997 remaster and the new deluxe edition....

Do you have that too?

I've got everything from Rush at least three times each except for the newer stuff like VT and S&A. When I first started collecting albums, cassettes were the main thing and cheapest format, so I got everything from Rush on that. Then when CDs became the standard, I upgraded the albums to that.

When they released all the remastered albums, I ended up getting everything from them again but that's where I stopped. I figured after buying everything a least three times over I was done.

It's not only Rush though. I've done this with every band that I really like through the years.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Unless it's a major upgrade, I won't buy the same thing twice. From the reviews I've read here on TRF, the 30th anniversary edition isn't that much better than the remaster.

However, I will likely buy the Time Machine twice (Blu-Ray and CD)

Somehow, I bought Presto three times. On release day, the store didn't have the vinyl album. I had to have it, so I settled for the cassette that day and went back a few days later for the album. And a few years after that, I replaced it on CD.

I've also owned Hemispheres and 2112 on all three formats (cassette, album, CD), but I didn't buy them all - some were gifts.

Moving Pictures I've only had on vinyl (once) and CD (once), but I'd like to get the new deluxe edition CD.

I tend to repeat purchase for new mediums, or remasters.

It would be funny if Moving Pictures incredible sales numbers were actually only a couple hundred of us buying it over and over again.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jul 27 2011, 09:45 AM)
Unless it's a major upgrade, I won't buy the same thing twice. From the reviews I've read here on TRF, the 30th anniversary edition isn't that much better than the remaster.

THIS. yes.gif

I have just recently finished upgrading everything pre-ASOH to the 97 remasters, and I am quite pleased with the vastly better sound quality. I have heard that the Atlantic remasters are not that different from the original release, so I'm not as concerned with those. Plus, my favorite albums are all on Mercury anyway, so I'm good.

Late 80's I had to do a major upgrade going from tape to CD. I believe Show Of Hands was the last album that I had both tape and CD of. It was very practical at the time having the two formats because the CDs were for home and the tapes were for the car.

I think from Presto onward, I have only had the CD. I don't buy remasters with the lone exception of Hemispheres because I couldn't find my cd.

just FYI

the overwhelming consensus is that the '97 remasters are largely garbage compared to the original US/W. German/Canada releases

overall, the mixes are 'too hot', and sacrifice dynamics in the name of dB boost

^ if you don't initially agree, I hear you

when I bought the '97 remasters, I found them exciting at first pass, too

but a simple test reveals their weakness - take Power Windows (for example) and play 'Grand Designs' from the remaster

then play 'Grand Designs' from the original CD... and turn it up a little trink39.gif

current inventory (excluding singles, etc)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/4WAT/RUSH/rush_inv_2011.jpg

multiple copies of LP's are typically different pressings - either different countries of manufacture (US/UK etc) or unique editions (i.e. triple gatefold vs double gatefold edition of ATWAS etc)

multiple copies of CD's typically represent:

> original release

> '97 remaster

> MFSL (if applicable)

> import (UK/Japan etc)

I have multiple copies of everything except Vapor Trails. I have everything on vinyl except Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, and Vapor Trails (obviously can't have Test For Echo). I have multiple copies of most of the LPs, just like Ghostworks, I collect different pressings, usually I'm after first pressings from US or UK, but I have a few of the Dutch pressings (RL Moving Pictures one of my favorites), and the 25.3P Epic/Sony Japanese pressings (Power Windows is very nice). I also have 7 and 12 inch 45s and EPs. New world man B side has Vital Signs live, no idea why this was never included on Exit. It's on Icon2. Also have the red vinyl 10 inch The Body Electric, mostly for collections sake, not much of a fan of the sound of colored vinyl and picture disks in general.

I have everything on CD except for Icon. I have multiple copies of the CDs too. I have most of the West German Atomics, most of the 97 remasters (yes, most of them are my least favorite pressings, and very fatiguing to listen to). I have all of the MFSL disks, and I even went on a binge last year where I started collecting promo CDs and singles. I also have a few of the 25.8P/32.8P/35.8P Japanese pressings.

Perhaps it's an illness, but I do think there are good reasons to hunt down different pressings/masterings if you are after the best sounding version of a recording. Although to my ears it's less so with CDs. There can be very dramatic differences in LPs. For example, I think that in general UK vinyl tends to have a quieter surface. MASTERDISK pressings tend to be good, but not every Master is equal (GK and RL are my favorites). Some copies of Fly By Night have the chimes repeating into run out groove and will go on until the tone arm is lifted. I think a specific first pressing UK Hemispheres LP is the best sounding copy I've ever heard. Anyhow, yes I have many copies, but a combination of collecting unique pressings, and searching for the best sounding version got me there.

If it's a matter of going from format to format (i.e. vinyl to CD) then yeah. I mean, I can't practically take a record to the car and run it through the speaker system.. I need a CD for that. laugh.gif

(And don't get all technical on me, I know there ARE ways you can.)

But remaster to remaster, version to version..? No. One's enough for me. The only exception is live albums, but they have a different variety anyways.

QUOTE (moving_signals @ Jul 27 2011, 10:58 AM)
not much of a fan of the sound of colored vinyl and picture disks in general.

the picture discs I remember weren't playable. the picture was plastered right onto a record and it was intended for decoration only...

...there are playable ones?

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jul 27 2011, 12:27 PM)

the picture discs I remember weren't playable. the picture was plastered right onto a record and it was intended for decoration only...

Yep, a friend of mine has Ozzy Diary of a Madman on picture disc, it plays, and it sounds ok, but it's not superb. I think some picture discs have a clear layer over the picture that grooves are pressed in, but I'm not sure. Again, I'm not much of a fan. Although from a collectors point of view they're cool to look at.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 27 2011, 01:27 PM)
I have every album once. I have most of them on CD, but I had to (legally) download a few that I couldn't find in stores. I'd like to get the vinyl for all of them, but I don't have the money to buy the same album more than once.

Same, especially since I'm always buying other music laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 27 2011, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 27 2011, 11:55 AM)
the overwhelming consensus is that the '97 remasters are largely garbage

sarcasm.gif

Yeah I keep seeing that view here and can't say I agree with it. Certainly not to the point where I'm gonna blow $300 or more for the MFSL gold discs or try to locate the older cd versions.

So far the only Rush title I bought a second copy of was Snakes & Arrows. Got the original cd then the DVD version. The rest of the catalog prior to Presto is the oh so AWFUL laugh.gif remasters. Presto through Vapor Trails are the original releases. I would like to find more titles on vinyl.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jul 27 2011, 12:27 PM)

every picture disc I have is playable (about 40 of them)

the clear vinyl that 'sandwiches' the picture in between is a lot thinner, and so the noise floor is higher (i.e. doesn't sound as good as a regular LP)

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Jul 27 2011, 03:23 PM)

sarcasm.gif

Yeah I keep seeing that view here and can't say I agree with it. Certainly not to the point where I'm gonna blow $300 or more for the MFSL gold discs or try to locate the older cd versions.

So far the only Rush title I bought a second copy of was Snakes & Arrows. Got the original cd then the DVD version. The rest of the catalog prior to Presto is the oh so AWFUL laugh.gif remasters. Presto through Vapor Trails are the original releases. I would like to find more titles on vinyl.

the cost for original pressing CD's isn't prohibitive

I regularly see $4 to $7 per disc, depending on the title

MFSL's are a waiting game

I scored the MP MFSL two months ago for $37 (I've seen it regularly trade for $150+)

ultimately, it's all about your personal enjoyment level - if you dig the '97's, go right on ahead

if you dig finding the best sounding format of your favorite albums, go right on ahead

it's not a contest trink39.gif

I have cassette, CD, and vinyl for 2.gif through ASOH, except HYF on CD...still don't own it....Also have CD of all after ASOH

I've owned at least 5 copies of E...SL on cd, as well as multiple copies of MP, Sigs, and P/G.

I had to buy at least 4 copies of Sigs on cassette when it came out 'cuz I wore it out, same with MP and E...SL.

I only have 1 of each except for some cassettes and Vinyls. I'd like each album on each media device.

Or use the Konata Concept:

Buy 3.

1 for looking at. (ex:framing)

1 for listening to.

1 for lending out.

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Jul 27 2011, 03:23 PM)

sarcasm.gif

Everybody's ears are different, so I'm sure some people prefer the 97 remasters. I prefer the 97 for Presto and Caress to their original CDs, but I prefer the vinyl pressings of just about every Rush recording over the CD. The caveat being that the vinyl needs to be in excellent or better condition, and cleaned very well. I think the MFSL are all great, although I personally find the Moving Pictures MFSL a tad too quiet, but still great.

BTW, if you are patient, you can get the MFSL's on EBay for way below $300, in fact you should be able to get the Signals and Permanent waves for around $25, but would probably need to spend 40 - 50 for the 2112 or Moving Pictures. The vinyl MFSL can still be found for $30 online if you look around.

For the first press originals (Atomics), I've never paid more than $15 for one. There are so many people selling for rediculous money, it's very discouraging, but if you are committed, and patient, you should be able to find some good deals, and I do think it's worth it.

Back to the 97 remasters, if you compare the waveforms (just one of a few checks) of a Atomic to 97 remaster, you'll immediately see what so many people are complaining about. Again, some people like the heavy compression, or their peaks riding the fine edge, a lot of people don't.

But It's all about what sounds good to you, not what someone tells you is good.