Peart - Copeland - Carey - Claypool Jam Video

The Mighty Dudad

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jul 22 2011, 10:13 AM)
With the names associated wiht that I would have expecting this to be something....look at all the stuff they have done...but as I watched it I have to admit there was only one thought running through my head....and it was not what I thought it might be...it was not "wow check this out" ..or " look at this creative stuff"...or "whoa...what was that part" and rewinding to the same spot to hear it again...no I had one thought the entire time as Neil played the same fill over and over and over again wondering if he simply set up a loop (making things even worse, if he did)....that one thought was...

"this is horrible....are they kidding??"

then suddenly...I realized I felt a sense of embarssment for them.

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif yes.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jul 22 2011, 10:45 AM)
It seems QUOTE]

Cracks me up how he has just recently discovered Jack DeJohnette. rofl3.gif

Who???

(just kidding)

Well, I am glad you know who Jack is. Neil slept all through the greats such as Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Philly Joe Jones, Tony Williams, etc. When he was a kid growing up in Toronto, and even when he was in London, no doubt he had countless times to check them out. But he was so into The Who that he had no interest.

I doubt he even knew who these drummers were until about 1980 when he started reading Modern Drummer. Then he runs off and takes lessons from Freddie Gruber (who isn't even that good as a player) and then he is doing Buddy Rich tribute albums and concerts. It's laughable. rofl3.gif

Yes...and let me state....Calhoun's "cutting" was pretty classless...and I can say that without even having seen/heard it. You don't pull that s*it just because you have a chance to.

Take alook at the Buddy rich Show wiht Dennis Chambers, Gregg Bissonette and Louie Bellson...clearly Louie was struggling a bit and yet the other two did not go out of their way to make an arse out of the guy.

Personally I'd like to see Calhoun try that s*it next to Jojo Mayer or Vinnie Coliauta....he would get schooled pretty quick.

Back to the original point though...I think Neil needs to loosen up and just go for it once in awhile he might be shocked. I think Omar Hakims words on the tape from the same Buddy Rich show are very wise. He said when he is going to perform people tell him "I can't wait to hear you man" he replies..."me too"....he just does it...he does not make a carefully planned road map that he MUST adheare to which in turn forces him to be as conservative as possible.

Copeland has a great basement.

Most of these jazz cats bore me to tears. I have the Jeff Beck DVD Live at Ronnie Scotts, and Vinnie coulita is behind the kit. Ive watched it a handfull of times, and i STILL cant recall any of his grooves, even though on a technical level its obvious he is a monster. It's all a blur. The only guys who care are drum snobs.EDIT:(OR ALL THE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WHO HIRED VINNIE TO DO THEIR RECORDS)

Edit: Fixed

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jul 21 2011, 09:41 AM)
You may recall from a few months back that Neil, Stewart Copeland, Danny Carey, and Les Claypool had got together at Stewart's LA home for an impromptu jam session. A neat little video is now available on Neil's website.

Click here to enjoy (link is in the middle of Neil's homepage).

Three drummers and a bass player? Interesting. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 22 2011, 12:12 PM)
I have the Jeff Beck DVD Live at Ronnie Scotts, and Vinnie coulita is behind the kit. Ive watched it a handfull of times, and i STILL cant recall any of his grooves, even though on a technical level its obvious he is a monster. It's all a blur. The only guys who care are drum snobs.

I don't like Colaiuta's playing and don't care for him much necessarily. Seems arrogant and stuck up. A show off too. His playing does little for me. I'll take Nick Mason anyday over this Gadd wanna-be.

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 22 2011, 03:02 PM)
Jeez talk about a bunch of snobbish over-analyzing..its just a bunch of friends goofing around and having a good time eyesre4.gif

Yeah it was obviously not meant to be taken seriously. Not sure why everyone is all over it like they are.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 22 2011, 02:14 AM)
Neil never looks comfortable improvising. Notice that Copeland picks up a guitar and plays. Copeland probably knows more about music than anybody that was at that session. I was never impressed by Carey.

There was a video out of Neil, Terry Bozzio and Doane Perry. It was cool, but again it made Neil look bad. When you have someone who can improvise endlessly and creatively as Bozzio and somebody like Doane who plays in Tull and all you do is play with Alex and Geddy all the time it is time to go home... bekloppt.gif

There's no question Copeland is the most well rounded musician. He composes, scores, arranges etc.

Interesting vid though.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 22 2011, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 22 2011, 10:07 AM)
Neil is not washed up. He just can't improvise nor play jazz or classical.

Classical? Can you give an example of a classical drummer?

rofl3.gif That's what I thought, too.

God Im so glad there are so many experts on this forum to set us straight. eh.gif

Im sure everyone criticizing Neil for having his own playing style and not HAVING to improvise at every gig because of the band he has been in for almost 40 years, are spectacular at their jobs. I mean, the fries must be golden!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 22 2011, 02:02 PM)
Jeez talk about a bunch of snobbish over-analyzing..its just a bunch of friends goofing around and having a good time eyesre4.gif

It's a message board. This is what people do sometimes on the internet. Maybe you're new to the internet, but I think the more you use it you'll learn to just let people discuss whatever they want and not get upset about it.

Yes it's 3 guys that got together for a casual jam, but when your names are Copeland, Peart and Claypool, uh people are going to pay attention and even expect something kinda cool. If that doesnt happen, then people are going to pick it apart.

I suggest you turn your computer off if this is a lot for you to handle.

Yes it's 3 guys that got together for a casual jam, but when your names are Copeland, Peart and Claypool, uh people are going to pay attention and even expect something kinda cool. If that doesnt happen, then people are going to pick it apart.

Really? The way that a lot of you guys talk about him, you'd think that that when you saw the name "Peart", you'd go into it expecting it to suck.

Watching that video, it didn't seem like any of the guys were doing all that much. Carey was barely doing anything, and Copeland was hitting a couple of drums here and there. Neil was actually doing the most.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 23 2011, 07:29 AM)
Jeez talk about a bunch of snobbish over-analyzing..its just a bunch of friends goofing around and having a good time  eyesre4.gif

It's a message board. This is what people do sometimes on the internet. Maybe you're new to the internet, but I think the more you use it you'll learn to just let people discuss whatever they want and not get upset about it.

Give me a f***ing break. Spare me your idiocy

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 23 2011, 07:29 AM)
Jeez talk about a bunch of snobbish over-analyzing..its just a bunch of friends goofing around and having a good time  eyesre4.gif

Overall, that's a pretty dickish post, trenken.