Peart - Copeland - Carey - Claypool Jam Video

The Mighty Dudad

You may recall from a few months back that Neil, Stewart Copeland, Danny Carey, and Les Claypool had got together at Stewart's LA home for an impromptu jam session. A neat little video is now available on Neil's website.

Click here to enjoy (link is in the middle of Neil's homepage).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a neat video...and certainly would've been cool to watch them all 'jam' in person.

My one beef with the video is first, it doesn't really show them doing anything in real-time, and mainly, the whole "1, 2, 3, 4" being repeated throughout the entire video.

But still...pretty cool to see! I'll bet they all had a blast in person.

Just four guys noodling around in their buddy's (very high-tech) "basement". Looks like they really enjoyed themselves - good to see.

neil can't improvise to save his life. the time feels horrible. no groove and the same fill over and over and over. made me cringe. neil had his time in the sun. now it's time for him to fade away into the sunset. looks like they had fun.

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 21 2011, 12:36 PM)
neil can't improvise to save his life. the time feels horrible. no groove and the same fill over and over and over. made me cringe. neil had his time in the sun. now it's time for him to fade away into the sunset. looks like they had fun.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 21 2011, 01:54 PM)
It seems they've listened to Frank Zappa albums before this session.

There is something very late 60's about it, but I can't quite finger it out. Quite zany. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 21 2011, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 21 2011, 01:54 PM)
It seems they've listened to Frank Zappa albums before this session.

There is something very late 60's about it, but I can't quite finger it out. Quite zany. trink38.gif

Yeah, but I don't think Neil ever really got into Zappa. Just like he never really got into jazz, though nowadays he acts like he has been into jazz all along.

Cracks me up how he has just recently discovered Jack DeJohnette. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 21 2011, 11:36 AM)

His playing is fine eyesre4.gif

Neil never looks comfortable improvising. Notice that Copeland picks up a guitar and plays. Copeland probably knows more about music than anybody that was at that session. I was never impressed by Carey.

There was a video out of Neil, Terry Bozzio and Doane Perry. It was cool, but again it made Neil look bad. When you have someone who can improvise endlessly and creatively as Bozzio and somebody like Doane who plays in Tull and all you do is play with Alex and Geddy all the time it is time to go home... bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 22 2011, 03:14 AM)
Neil never looks comfortable improvising. Notice that Copeland picks up a guitar and plays. Copeland probably knows more about music than anybody that was at that session. I was never impressed by Carey.

There was a video out of Neil, Terry Bozzio and Doane Perry. It was cool, but again it made Neil look bad. When you have someone who can improvise endlessly and creatively as Bozzio and somebody like Doane who plays in Tull and all you do is play with Alex and Geddy all the time it is time to go home... bekloppt.gif

Neil isnt a great improviser. You can hear in that vid, he sounds a bit clunky and lifeless. He's said many times he's a compositional drummer, someone who only feels very comfortable when fully rehearsed. Not a big jam style drummer. Probably why when he plays Rush songs live almost every time every single song is exactly like it was on the album, even the fills are the same.

A guy I always loved for his improv is the drummer in dave matthews band. Technically that guy is ridiculously talented, as good as Neil, I actually think he's even better with his ridiculously fast and precise stick work, but he's a total improv drummer. Check this solo out. Mad skills! Starting at like 55secs in he just does some really difficult stuff. Where Neil has the same solo he plays every night, this guy never plays the same solo twice.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 22 2011, 07:28 AM)

Neil isnt a great improviser. You can hear in that vid, he sounds a bit clunky and lifeless. He's said many times he's a compositional drummer, someone who only feels very comfortable when fully rehearsed. Not a big jam style drummer. Probably why when he plays Rush songs live almost every time every single song is exactly like it was on the album, even the fills are the same.

A guy I always loved for his improv is the drummer in dave matthews band. Technically that guy is ridiculously talented, as good as Neil, I actually think he's even better with his ridiculously fast and precise stick work, but he's a total improv drummer. Check this solo out. Mad skills! Starting at like 55secs in he just does some really difficult stuff. Where Neil has the same solo he plays every night, this guy never plays the same solo twice.

I agree and like that Neil plays it just like the album. For him and Rush that is perfect. I wish more people (especially drummers) would do that.

As for Carter Beauford, Dave Matthews' drummer, he is awesome. In some ways he is way ahead of Neil, who keeps changing his style every 5 years or so. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 22 2011, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 22 2011, 07:28 AM)

I agree and like that Neil plays it just like the album. For him and Rush that is perfect. I wish more people (especially drummers) would do that.

As for Carter Beauford, Dave Matthews' drummer, he is awesome. In some ways he is way ahead of Neil, who keeps changing his style every 5 years or so. rofl3.gif

No comment on whether or not Neil is "washed-up", as some seem to be implying eyesre4.gif , but. . .

The only thing I don't like about Carter Beauford's drumming is the band he plays in. (Hate, hate hate the DMB).

Neil needs to stop being a compositional drummer....Sorry but being a drummer you NEED to work on your improv....everything can't be a set-up pre-determined thing where you already know what is going to happen and all of the LIFE is taken out of the act of playing for Pete's sake...if not WHY play? There is no mystery...no chances being taken...no surprise (for the player or listener) pure boredom.

That jam was terrible I have to be honest. I like all of those guys in their own realm...but the jam was horrible...and not even really a "jam" for Neil.....

I agree with the comments on Neil with Terry clips from Drum Cahnnel...again they seemed to enjoy each others company but Neil looked as though he had no idea whatsoever of what to do...so he wandered aimlessly in a literal and figurative sense.

come on Neil stop with all the damn planning....it's MUSIC...not a road trip on your bike.

With the names associated wiht that I would have expecting this to be something....look at all the stuff they have done...but as I watched it I have to admit there was only one thought running through my head....and it was not what I thought it might be...it was not "wow check this out" ..or " look at this creative stuff"...or "whoa...what was that part" and rewinding to the same spot to hear it again...no I had one thought the entire time as Neil played the same fill over and over and over again wondering if he simply set up a loop (making things even worse, if he did)....that one thought was...

"this is horrible....are they kidding??"

then suddenly...I realized I felt a sense of embarssment for them.

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 22 2011, 12:57 AM)
It seems QUOTE]

Cracks me up how he has just recently discovered Jack DeJohnette. rofl3.gif

Who???

(just kidding)