Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Tony R

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 6 2012, 10:32 AM)
I'm guessing you got the grey cover version. When you think about it though, the deluxe edition of Get All You Deserve is at a reasonable price. Most BluRays/DVDs I know are at a retail price of $16.99-$19.99, and double CDs are also around that amount, so if you combine both, the total price should be around $34-$40 which is somewhat around the actual price for the deluxe edition. There's going to be a standalone BluRay, and a standalone DVD version of it, but the CDs are exclusive to this version which doesn't surprise me. Steven's considering a vinyl version of it for sometime later.

I did get the grey cover version of "Anesthetize" ... Im not complaining about the price of these things that Wilson puts out, they are usually worth it... And I am being a bit sarcastic in my complaining... but Wilson does seem to put out a big multi-disc "must have" set with every single project he releases, and thus my frustrations come out in the hurting of my wallet.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 6 2012, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 6 2012, 10:32 AM)
I'm guessing you got the grey cover version. When you think about it though, the deluxe edition of Get All You Deserve is at a reasonable price. Most BluRays/DVDs I know are at a retail price of $16.99-$19.99, and double CDs are also around that amount, so if you combine both, the total price should be around $34-$40 which is somewhat around the actual price for the deluxe edition. There's going to be a standalone BluRay, and a standalone DVD version of it, but the CDs are exclusive to this version which doesn't surprise me. Steven's considering a vinyl version of it for sometime later.

I did get the grey cover version of "Anesthetize" ... Im not complaining about the price of these things that Wilson puts out, they are usually worth it... And I am being a bit sarcastic in my complaining... but Wilson does seem to put out a big multi-disc "must have" set with every single project he releases, and thus my frustrations come out in the hurting of my wallet.

Yeah, I understand your frustration with Wilson raping your wallet. It's frustrates me that sometimes I have to pass on some stuff money wise in favor for his limited edition stuff, and next year, he's gonna rape my wallet again with his 3rd solo album; and I know he will do a limited edition hardback cover with bonus CDs or whatever. I might reconsider passing on that edition of the album this time around when it happens, but it's good to save enough money for it in case he puts something there that might peak my interest in getting it. With that being said, I got my copy of Get All Deserve preordered, but I have to go back to square one and save up again. It's gonna be harder for me to buy this kind of stuff now since I'm starting college this September.

Update: Now this is getting strange, now the Burning Shed description is saying that there's going to be a standard retail edition of the 4 disc edition in addition to limited edition of that 4 disc edition, and the standalone BluRay/DVD. I already got this preordered and I don't plan to cancel my order, but this is confusing the s**t outta me. Is the 4 disc edition really "limited" or not? confused13.gif

Edited by PolarizeMe

I'm just going to go with a CD and DVD. I got the deluxe edition for Grace For Drowning and I want to save up for the deluxe version of the next album. Though my birthday is right around the time its being released so maybe I'll ask for that.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 6 2012, 07:28 PM)
I'm just going to go with a CD and DVD. I got the deluxe edition for Grace For Drowning and I want to save up for the deluxe version of the next album. Though my birthday is right around the time its being released so maybe I'll ask for that.

Yeah, I hear you, I think no matter how hard I try not to, I'll always end up getting the limited edition/definitive edition of Steven's albums. Unfortunately, the CDs are exclusive to the 4 disc edition and Steven corrobarated that fact on his Twitter. Now that the Shed is confirming a standard 4 disc edition (prolly in jewel case or something), I guess you're better off waiting for that version if you don't really want to shell up $50 for the "limited edition" version. It'll prolly be at least $10-$15 cheaper if it shows up on Amazon.

Well, as much I admire, like and respect SW, that's 12 minutes of my life I won't get back. Jazz wank IMO and if this is where he's truly at, I think we can forget PT.

He also seems much more animated in that clip than all the PT shows I've been to over the last 7 years

Well, as much I admire, like and respect SW, that's 12 minutes of my life I won't get back. Jazz wank IMO and if this is where he's truly at, I think we can forget PT.

He also seems much more animated in that clip than all the PT shows I've been to over the last 7 years

Jazz wank? you mean improvising like a jazz musician? maybe a few drum fills were improvised but no jazz here. looks like SW has the zappa or steve vai bug.

Jazz wank? you mean improvising like a jazz musician? maybe a few drum fills were improvised but no jazz here. looks like SW has the zappa or steve vai bug.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 11 2012, 12:05 AM)
Higher quality version of Luminol. I admit this song keeps growing on me after every listen, but it's incredible. Steven's really enjoying himself during this song in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3MpGBwGdVk...=1&feature=plcp

This is good.

edit: Drums are great....where the f**k is Gavin! Is this guy a student?

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 13 2012, 01:16 AM)
Luminal is incredible. It seems like it's supposed to be used to summon spirits ohmy.gif

I want this release only for this tune.

Jeez. I havent even finished building my PT collection yet. Have not heard anything on that side that I dont like. Now scanning thru this thread Im thinking I need to get some SW as well. Not even sure where to start.

FOABP

DW

IA

LBS

Incident

Those are not in order of preference, but that is the PT catalog I currently have. SD is next on my list.

Recommendation if I were to pick up one SW album for now?

QUOTE (humble-dumb @ Aug 14 2012, 04:36 PM)
Jeez. I havent even finished building my PT collection yet. Have not heard anything on that side that I dont like. Now scanning thru this thread Im thinking I need to get some SW as well. Not even sure where to start.

FOABP
DW
IA
LBS
Incident

Those are not in order of preference, but that is the PT catalog I currently have. SD is next on my list.

Recommendation if I were to pick up one SW album for now?

Grace For Drowning for sure. If you'd like to make an educated decision, listen to both for free on Youtube.

So I am just wrapping up my first spin on Grace for Drowning. I expect the album will grow on me, but my immediate reaction is that while I like elements of it, I do not like the free-form jazzy stuff. So far I like PT more than the solo effort, at least this particular album. Will give it more time and see how it goes.

H-D for some frame of reference... Steven Wilson had just come of remixing alot of the first few King Crimson records when he made Grace for Downing...which largly influenced its sound, his first solo cd (insurgentes) is different from GFD....I loved GFD so to each his own I guess.....he is actually in the process of a third solo album now and from the sound "luminol" (a track that will be on the 3rd album) it will be very similar to GFD, very King Crimson esk jazzy prog....but yes veeery different from PT....

Thoug he also has other projects as well you might like

Blackfield: Shorter pop-prog...probably the most similar to PT out of all his side projects

No-Man: mellow alternative the oldest of his projects even older than PT

Bass Communion: Drone bass music...i dont care for this

Storm Corrosion: his project with Mikael Akerfeldt of opeth...VERY mellow prog..with an almost krautrock feel

H-D another bit of advice....regarding Porcupine Tree itself..

I notice you have the 5 most recent PT albums...nothing wrong with that all are fantastic...and the album before LBS (Stupid Dream) is similar to those records as well..albiet a bit lighter.

However if you plan to go through the PT back catalog I'd advise a bit of caution.. the first few albums are very different styilistically from the PT youve heard...hell PT was not a full band until album 4, mainly Steven Wilson doing all the song by himself and playing every instrument...Musically its great but different from the PT you have, its more of a Psychedellic Avant Guard prog..

I dont reccoment diving right into the first few PT albums right away...instead go for the "Stars Die:Dilireum Years" compilation, or the "Coma Devine" live album for a taster of what PT was like during their first 4 records.

Owl, thanks for the responses. I have Stupid Dream next on my list, and was also considering Nil Recurring since it seems to be made at the same time as FOABP which I absolutely love. And I appreciate the warning on the earlier stuff, I will take your advice and go with Stars Die to get a taste of the earlier stuff.

No problem... I dont mean to clog the SW thread with PT talk too much so after this I guess ill carry it over to the PT thread...but the Nil Recurring EP is amazing as well...it is essentially FOABP pt2. All that material was recorded alongside FOABP but released seperatly, and it sounds very much the samn. Nil Recurring also has the benefit of including my favorite PT track...."Normal"..a phenominal song.