Christopher Nolan vs. The Coen Brothers

The Owl

Who is the best director(s)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best director(s)

• Christopher Nolan
    • The Coen Brothers

I am trying to think of who is the best alive movie director, and who is still making movies right now..

And I am stuck between the Coen Brothers and Chris Nolan..

debate.

Another director worth mentioning is David Fincher. After seeing "The Social Network," a movie that might have been boring in the hands of anyone else, I'm convinced he's in the top-5 right now. If he could make that movie interesting without his usual stylistic flourishes, then that speaks volumes for his talent as a storyteller.

As for this poll, as much as I admire Nolan, I give the slight edge to the Coens.

I've gone with the Coen Brothers due to O Brother Where Art Thou, though I quite like James Cameron (The Abyss, Alien and the first two Terminator movies). I don't know who Christopher Nolan is.

Honestly I find more misses in the Coen collection, although they've made more films. Nothing Chris has made is as bad as The Ladykillers, IMO. So I'll give Nolan higher points for consistency, although I'm not sure any Nolan film is as good as No Country For Old Men to me.

Still...it's a tough one because I'll pretty much go see anything by either of them. It's a good problem to have, Coens OR Nolan.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Nolan directed 8 films.

The Coen Brothers directed 15 films.

Of the 15 films The Coen Brothers directed, I'd say 2 miss the cut. Not bad, at all.

Nolan is incredibly consistent throughout his 8 films. Double the output and I'm sure there will be a couple of misses.

My first post may be misleading... I am not making this poll to say these 2 choices are the best modern directors... and that is not the purpose of the poll or thread... at least I didn't intend it to be..

These are just the first two (technically 3) names that popped into my mind, and I'd thought I just pit them against eachother.

Nolan, simply because all of his movies are good whereas the Coens have put out some real turkeys.

I believe Chris Nolan is the next Ridley Scott and I wish they would collaborate on a movie.