what song by RUSH made them great to you?

rollthebones1963

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely The Spirit of Radio....we'd play air guitar to it....and I'm still loving it...over 30 years later!

I got into Rush during the time of Roll the Bones. I knew of the band and knew they had a song called Tom Sawyer but didn't know anything about their sound. Then I heard the song Roll the Bones on the radio and kind of dug it and bought the CD and liked it. Good, but not great. Not quite blown away yet. Of course by now I had become familiar with Geddy's voice and suddenly started noticing Rush whenever they were played on the radio. Somewhere in there I did hear Tom Sawyer, again a song I knew of but knew nothing about how it sounded. That song blew me away but I wasn't ready to proclaim them great just yet. Then hearing Subdivisions and Distant Early Warning on the radio sealed the deal for me, not that they were better than Tom Sawyer, but you start to see the pattern of greatness there. At that point I started going out and gradually collecting all their CDs.

Way too many to list, but what made me say, 'Woah, wait a minute, these guys deserve some of my attention, and really give their work a try because this is amazing,' was The Enemy Within. After I heard this song, I began to expand my horizons through the discography. What got the ball rolling was the hits (The Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Tom Sawyer, Freewill, and Subdivisions), and the first non-hits (Cold Fire and Leave That Thing Alone), but The Enemy Within solidified Rush in my eyes. smile.gif

First time I heard Closer to the Heart, I knew this band was something special, but the first time I heard Spirit of Radio, I experienced something no other band had offered me..... before, or since.....a feeling like this was " my band ", and I didn't care if anyone else felt that about them or not. Still don't care. To me, they're still my band. ( our band? )

wink.gif

I was in love with Rush the first time I ever heard them. The album was All The World's A Stage. By-Tor was the tune that stuck in my mind as being the coolest track, so that gets my vote.

I'll have to go with the first song I ever heard from them, which was Working Man off of ATWAS (not long after it was released)....I had a friend that liked to play snippets of tunes for me...he'd go "you gotta hear this" and would start a song, then after maybe a verse or two, go "Oh, you gotta hear this!!!" and do the same thing...one day we were sitting in his room going through one of those sessions, and he said "Hey, you're a drummer right...you really need to hear this guy, he's amazing...the drum solo is at the end of the tune" and he actually (for once) played the WHOLE THING!

Needless to say, I was hooked, and got my mother to order ATWAS from "Columbia House" the next day!

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Jul 10 2011, 01:15 AM)
I have to say 'Tom Sawyer', and this is why.

In '81 I was all of 8 years old, and my mom had just started dating who would be my step-dad. We were at his house one day, and my future step-brother took me out to his car to let me hear this band he was into called 'Rush'. He had seen them live recently (had shown me the ticket stub), and wanted me to hear 'Tom Sawyer'. He put the cassette in his tape deck, and I heard that opening growl for the first time ever. I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. He later made me a cassette copy of MP for me to enjoy.

I then played the tape for my dad (who's a musician) and he was impressed, although it wasn't his type of music. That's partly what made me a fan, since I figured my dad would hate it. He had just gotten MTV at his house, and hated probably 95% of the music that MTV showed at that time. LOL

Great story.

My choice is also Tom Sawyer.

Just the opening 30 seconds of that song had me hooked. yes.gif

Spirit of Radio was the first song I heard by them, then Tom Sawyer. Those songs brought me into more awesome songs like 2112, LVS, and Natural Science, but it wasn't until after I saw them live I became a huge fan. Something just clicked. And it ROCKED! 1022.gif

I remember it like yesterday.

11 years old living in Austin, Texas (only lived there for one year but it was a great year in my life) my buddy's sister brought home Moving Pictures from the record store. She asked us if we had heard Tom Sawyer and of course we both nodded and said "yeah that song kicks all kinds of ass".

So we hear T.S of course......then magic happens. The first notes of Alex's harmonic signature intro to Red Barchetta start. From the moment Geddy starts singing "My Uncle has a country place that no one knows about" I am taken away to a place no band or piece of music had ever took me to at this point in my life.

It was at that very moment I fell head over heals in love with this band. It was at that moment that I realized I wanted to play guitar and write music.

It changed my life forever.

Red Barchetta.

Edited by Todem

The Spirit of Radio best of.

I was 'in the market' for something new and Gilby got it and played it for me saying "You might like this". I guess rest is history!

Chalk me up to with the 2112 crowd. First time I heard it I was in my buddy's (hippie) converted cargo van with a kick ass stereo and I was trippin'. I made him play it over and over and couldn't get enough of the whole album but 2112 stood out and was amazing.

On an odd note, he came up over the weekend to hang out and we've been friends for over 35 years and attended many many Rush concerts together. We went to a little hippie town yesterday in Ohio called Yellow Springs which is the home of the uber liberal Antioch College.

After checking out all the shops and eating/drinking establishments and such we were heading to the car when we heard 2112 blaring from some little out of the way shop so we had to go. It was mostly a tie dye tee shirt shop but I ended up getting a cool Rush tee they had and some other cool stuff as well. The guy who owned it was a huge Rush fan and we had a blast chatting for an hour or so about all the old concerts and how awesome 2112 was when we first heard it and how it hooked us into Rush. Good times.

I grew up in Akron Ohio and listened to WMMS out of Cleveland. I heard Working Man when they first started playing it in 1974. Seen them for the first time later that year at the Cleveland Agora. Been hooked ever since!!

QUOTE (johndyar @ Jul 11 2011, 07:44 PM)
I grew up in Akron Ohio and listened to WMMS out of Cleveland. I heard Working Man when they first started playing it in 1974. Seen them for the first time later that year at the Cleveland Agora. Been hooked ever since!!

Holy crap! I don't want to go off topic, but I just saw your signature, and I see Neil in the picture. I didn't know he took part in the meet and greets thing, even if it was seldom. I thought he stood clear of those all the time. That's amazing.

Please excuse the digress, everyone.

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jul 11 2011, 05:53 PM)

Holy crap! I don't want to go off topic, but I just saw your signature, and I see Neil in the picture. I didn't know he took part in the meet and greets thing, even if it was seldom. I thought he stood clear of those all the time. That's amazing.

He does do them for Make A Wish or similar groups. Note the other thing in that sig wink.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 11 2011, 11:16 PM)

He does do them for Make A Wish or similar groups. Note the other thing in that sig wink.gif

When my daughter made her wish, she told the MAW people that meeting Neil was an important part of her wish. He was very gracious and made her feel very special (as did the rest of the band and crew). It was a very special day for her. The MAW people told us that she was Rush's first (and only I think) Make-A-Wish kid.

Sorry to digress.

Edited by johndyar

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 11 2011, 11:16 PM)

Oh, whoops. oops.gif