what song by RUSH made them great to you?

rollthebones1963

for me,it was cygnus x1 on farewell to kings.i had the 2112 album,and then i used to put my headphones on and go to sleep at night listening to all the world's a stage,but i do not think i ever understood how great a band RUSH was until i heard that track on farwell to kings.that track just blew me away! 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of them. Waaay too many to list. The only ones that are "pretty darn good" instead of great would be a handful or so from the 90's (mostly Vapor Trails and a few from TFE), and a scattering from the 70's. The others all consistently blow me away. I suppose Marathon does it the most...I've listened to it a lot, and keep thinking one of these days, the thrill is going to wear off, and nope - it gets to the end and I'm still overcome and with my mouth open in amazement. ohmy.gif

I'd say Closer To The Heart..So much wisdom there. 2.gif

The Trees and A Farewell to Kings , are right up there

as well.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

La Villa Strangiato.

When my Hubby and room mate decided that I needed to be Rush-ified, they played me Hemispheres. The whole album blew me away but the last song..... I was enraptured! La Villa remains my favorite Rush song to this day.

It was opposite for me, the first time I heard 2112 I only listened to it once. About a month later the riff from Syrinx was stuck in my head and I had no idea what song it was. A little while later I found it and had quite a 'Eureka!' moment and couldn't stop listening to it. Then when YYZ hit GH2 I became fascinated with Rush. Then I saw them live S&A 2007 and that's when they became my favorite band ever. I rambled...sorryy... cool10.gif

I have to say 'Tom Sawyer', and this is why.

In '81 I was all of 8 years old, and my mom had just started dating who would be my step-dad. We were at his house one day, and my future step-brother took me out to his car to let me hear this band he was into called 'Rush'. He had seen them live recently (had shown me the ticket stub), and wanted me to hear 'Tom Sawyer'. He put the cassette in his tape deck, and I heard that opening growl for the first time ever. I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. He later made me a cassette copy of MP for me to enjoy.

I then played the tape for my dad (who's a musician) and he was impressed, although it wasn't his type of music. That's partly what made me a fan, since I figured my dad would hate it. He had just gotten MTV at his house, and hated probably 95% of the music that MTV showed at that time. LOL

Hemispheres was, I think, the first album I heard, and 'Hemispheres' the song reeled me in. Every time I hear the opening chords, it takes me right back to when I was 13.

Shortly after, Counterparts came out, and 'Between Sun & Moon' made a big impression on me.

I first heard 'Fly By Night' and 'Closer To The Heart' on the radio as a kid in the mid-late 70's and for a while didn't know who they were, but they were different than everyone else and I liked it. Then in 1980 I heard The Spirit of Radio and Freewill and was like "holy sh^t!" 2.gif 1022.gif

It has to be By Tor and the Snow dog for me. The first sign of epic and dramatic lyrics/music passages with pure dynamism which had me reaching for the air guitar with a great smile on my face! After that they could do no wrong in my eyes (apart from dropping it from the set!!!)

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

First song I ever heared was 'Bastille Day' from ATWAS. What really got me into Rush was a radio show several years later where they played the whole 'Exit...Stage Left' Album. So it was 'The Spirit Of Radio' which left me breathless.

I'm not sure if it was just one song that made me realize how great they are.

The usual hits like CTTH, TSOR, FW the first side of MP and Subdivisions got me into them. But I think it's the whole catalog that made me realize how great they are, not just one song in particular.