2112 on diffrent stages!! just awesome

reani14

Far from 'perfect'.

That would be the 1980 St. Louis version.

Playing along with 2112 from DS, I find Geddy not playing with as much energy.

All the chops are pretty much gone and it sounds rough. They were on autopilot with it from 1976-1980 and even the Temples and Overture that they played on the MP tour still had that energy.

16 years go by, they erase it from their toolbox and when they played it in 1996-97, it was missing that power they used to play it with.

I think it's lackluster compared to the way they played it back in 1980.

Having said that, I still think it was great to see them play it on the TFE tour. I saw it 7 times.

Yeah its a great recording of it. Not the best they ever played it, that would be in the early 80s, but its funny when they started just playing Syrinx in the mid 80s. They played it so fast it sounded like it was in fast forward. Never liked what they did with that. But they started doing it right later, like on DS.

I would agree with REANI14, I really like the St.Louis version which ofcourse had great energy to it, but I think they have better use of timing and emphasis on different sections of 2112 on DS... plus I like listening to Discovery in 2112, which of course they did not perform during the PW tour (St. Louis Concert). All in all, I love 2112 in both concerts, but I think 2112 in DS might be just a little better if only in subtle timing and emphasis in the drums, vocals, and some of the leads (particularly in Soliloquy.

I think the DS version of 2112 is my favourite. yes.gif Though it has been a while since I've heard the St. Louis 1980 version. I'll take a listen later and compare.

P.S. The sound/production on DS kicks ass. 1022.gif

Yes, I would agree with Reani14 on that too... it's funny, because while I don't dislike RIO or Snakes and Arrows Live discs one bit, overall, the sound quality throughout the entire concert on DS seems better to me. I'm not sure why that is... I think that as I remember it, Geddy and Paul N. did most of the mixing with that CD...

Yeah, I liked Analog Kid and Nobody's Hero off that disc - and ofcourse hearing Oracle in 2112. It occured to me that RIO and Snakes and Arrows was from one show, while although much of DS was from the Chicago show, many of the songs from DS were from some different shows - yet it sounds like it's from one show... any thoughts about why it just seems the production seems to sound better (to me anyways) on DS...

QUOTE (rollthebones1963 @ Jul 9 2011, 12:33 PM)
ever since 2112 came out,i just about bet that rush has played side 1 at every concert since then have'nt they?

Sorry, but not even close. 2112came out in 1976, and even during that and closely following tours, they never played it full. They skipped the part; oracle:the dream in every concert. Then on the moving picture tour, because of their mass of material, they started only playing the first 2 parts, overture, and temples of syrinx. Then, in the test for echo tour in 1996-1997, they DID play the full side one of the album. I'm not critizing you at all, just informing another fan about rush!

Different Stages was definitely more rawer than Snakes for sure...I remember Geddy said that the sound they were trying to get was something similar along the lines of All The World's A Stage. I think this is why most of us love the sound production of DS.

IDK if any of you will agree with me on this, but I think Geddy's bass had a LOT of crunch compared to R30 and Snakes and as a bass lover and (a pretty mediocre noob) bassist, me like the tone of the bass on DS.

I thought that 2112 on DS was an awesome recording of the song, and as USB Connector said, this recording is in some ways better than the original...I like the fact that the detuning of the song gives it a heavier sound, and it's the only truly, fully complete live version of 2112, so I give props for the DS version for that too.

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jul 11 2011, 08:24 PM)
My favorite version is on.......

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz77/tanhuntland/RUSHIrvine2010040.jpg

Awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

For vocals, I like the St. Louis version, but only for the really high pitched stuff. I think the DS version blows it away musically and I'm shocked that some think it lacks energy. The drums in particular are just off the hook, especially at the end. Just awesome. Wish I could have seen that tour!

I'm not crazy about the Different Stages version of 2112. I guess it's partly because it's tuned down and it just doesn't sound right to me. For me the ultimate live version of 2112 is on All the Worlds a Stage. Yeah, I know it's missing Discovery but I don't care. Everything else makes up for that.