Significant Departures

Yeah, put me down for the Skynyrd plane crash. Saw them a year before it happened in Seattle and it's still one of my all-time top 5 concert experiences (and I've been to a lot of concerts). I have always refused to see them since cuz like Artimus Pyle, I feel Ronnie was Skynyrd.

The Who without Moonie wasn't the same though they did have a few moments.

Lyrically Floyd wasn't the same without Rog though musically they were still excellent. As is often the case, the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Bon's AC/DC was better.

Post Ozzy Sabbath was never as good for me though some of the RJD stuff is quite good. It's still just not Black Sabbath to me though.

Good one on In Through The Out Door apetersvt!! The only Zep album I don't like as well. Yeah, Jimmy was um......."checked out" at that point wasn't he?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 8 2011, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jul 8 2011, 11:15 AM)
Post Keith Moon Who

I have to agree with this, but Eminence Front kicks some serious ass.

True, and that was my intro to them on MTV when I was a kid.

Also dig that sample of EF on Pop Goes The Weasel by 3rd Bass.

Emerson, Lake, and Powell after Powell left! wink.gif

rofl3.gif

Dennis DeYoung leaving Styx

Kerry Livgren but moreso Robbie Steinhardt leaving Kansas! I really loved Kerry's songwriting, and playing, but Robbie was the SOUL of that band! When he rejoined for a tour a few years back, they were a MUCH different band live!!!!

Terry Kath passing away...Chicago was never the same!!!!

The whole Skynyrd thing....I agree! It's not even worth the price of trying to hear them in a parking lot for outside shows!

Can't really comment much on Yes...that band has changed so many times, and put out great stuff with the oddest combinations, that you either like the current version or you don't! I PREFER Jon Anderson as lead singer, but LIKE stuff that Trevor Horn did, and Trevor Rabin has done, and sort of like some of the new album a bit.

Queen was one on my all time bucket list, even though in their later years they LOST me!

personally, I think when David lee Roth left Van Halen, their music turned to a pile of dog shit steaming in the hot sun! hahaha.

...and that's saying something, seeing how I can't even stand Roth's music with the band! (sorry- Halen Hater here lmao.)

and when Chicago's Terry Kath died, they turned god-awful lol

For me, when Paul Kantner left Jefferson Starship. He took the "Jefferson" part of the name with him leaving the rest of the band known as simply "Starship". That's when they started to stink royally and wrote the tune "We Built This City".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 8 2011, 01:58 PM)
For me, when Paul Kantner left Jefferson Starship. He took the "Jefferson" part of the name with him leaving the rest of the band known as simply "Starship". That's when they started to stink royally and wrote the tune "We Built This City".

yes.gif

They had three really good albums before he left, Freedom At Point Zero, Modern Times and Winds of Change. Nuclear Furniture wasn't bad either (the last one before his departure IIRC.

And a huge kudos to Jaminbenb for mentioning Terry Kath's passing. I agree that Chicago was never the same afterwards.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 8 2011, 03:58 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Jul 8 2011, 09:15 PM)
Brian Jones leaving the Stones?

In my book, Mick Taylor was the biggest lost for the Stones.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 8 2011, 04:58 PM)

I agree as well....We Built This City ranks up there as one of the worst songs ever written by a once great band IMO.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 8 2011, 09:41 AM)
and the one that pains me the most is PG leaving Genesis

I think Peter Gabriel leaving allowed both him and Genesis to make some incredibly fresh music, and I'm glad that transition happened.

Steve Hackett leaving, on the other hand, really hurt. I still love ATTW3, Duke, and Abacab, but after that, it's pretty bleak.

trying to think of ones that haven't already been said...

Randy Rhoads dieing in a plane crash. "Bark at the Moon" was a pretty good album but Ozzy was pretty much hit or miss for me after Randy died.

I would say SRV but Double Trouble didn't exactly put anything out after he died.

Kurt Kobain had the opposite effect because Dave Grohl went out and formed a BETTER band after Nirvana lol

Edited by Xanadude69

Roger Fisher left Heart in 1979. sad.gif

The band declined quickly. Bebe le Strange was a hit album, but the damage was pretty obvious. Their ability to write rock songs took a major hit. They ultimately switched to writing pop tunes. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif The band has never recovered fully from Fisher's departure, and their reputation has suffered due to their "selling out".

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 10 2011, 01:56 PM)
Roger Fisher left Heart in 1979. sad.gif

The band declined quickly. Bebe le Strange was a hit album, but the damage was pretty obvious. Their ability to write rock songs took a major hit. They ultimately switched to writing pop tunes. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif The band has never recovered fully from Fisher's departure, and their reputation has suffered due to their "selling out".

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 8 2011, 11:25 AM)
After the first four awesome Danzig albums, he got rid of the whole band and made four turds in a row. Thankfully the latest lineup and album are good (plus they're great live).

goodpost.gif It's never been the same without John Christ, Chuck Biscuits or Eerie Von, but the last album was indeed awesome. The best Glenn's done since the 4th album. trink39.gif