Did Rush Do Any Drugs

Nate2112

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Jul 12 2011, 03:00 AM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 12 2011, 02:17 AM)
i'm pretty sure that they're too professional to do weed now.

Ah right, so they can get borderline drunk at a hunting lodge while being filmed for a documentary...

cool10.gif

borderline? ha.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 13 2011, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 12 2011, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 12 2011, 03:17 PM)
i'm pretty sure that they're too professional to do weed now

You're on acid. trink38.gif

I may be, but it just doesn't seem like something they do. When I mean, "professional" it seems like the bands that still do it sound like crap. But they don't. That's just my opinion. I could be very wrong.

It sounds like you're making no distinction between blazing up on the walk to the stage as the 3 Stooges theme is playing and lighting up after the show in the hotel room with a few days off until the next gig.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 3 2011, 04:56 PM)
Caress of Steel was written almost entirely under the influence, according to the band (probably why it's so sloppy), and "A Passage to Bangkok" is about traveling the world to get different drugs.  I think that they stopped after the '70s, though.

sloppy? hm. definitely don't think CoS is sloppy. a bit strange and dark at times-yes. sloppy-no.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 12 2011, 05:51 PM)

I may be, but it just doesn't seem like something they do. When I mean, "professional" it seems like the bands that still do it sound like crap. But they don't. That's just my opinion. I could be very wrong.

You dont know anything about them. You have no idea what these guys do in the parts of their lives they dont talk about in interviews. All you know is what they let you know.

Come on! They were a rock & roll band coming up in the 70s. Of course they did drugs. I don't know if they did anything harder than pot but I would guess that they at least tried some harder stuff. Edited by TheBluePhoenix

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2011, 08:37 AM)

You dont know anything about them. You have no idea what these guys do in the parts of their lives they dont talk about in interviews. All you know is what they let you know.

I didn't ever claim to know their lives inside out. But from what I do know about not only them but drugs in general, they just don't seem to me like a band that is involved in it. But as I said before, I could be horribly wrong.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 14 2011, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2011, 08:37 AM)

I didn't ever claim to know their lives inside out. But from what I do know about not only them but drugs in general, they just don't seem to me like a band that is involved in it. But as I said before, I could be horribly wrong.

That's interesting. From what little I know of them and what I know about grass, they completely seem like the kind of (laid back REGULAR) guys that'd enjoy it after work.

While reading Roadshow today, I read the following:

"In the summer of 1976, in a cottage in Southern Ontario, I was working on the lyrics for a song called "Xanadu." (I didn't have an opium, but I might have smoked a little hash.)

Also a mention of Alex going to the hash bars in Amsterdam and being plied with samples from the proprietor.

They certainly smoked some weed back in the 70s, and Neil has admitted to a handful of acid trips.

Today, I doubt they do anything heavy. Perhaps some weed on very rare occassions, for old times sake.

But I'll tell you: I hate the question more than the probable answer. We get this question every few months, and almost always from someone who does drugs himself. Some users seek validation for their partaking - wanting their musical heroes to be users like they are.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2011, 08:24 PM)
The lyrics to 'The Trees' is a dead give away that Neil was partaking in some recreational use as well.

Are you serious?

The Trees is a social/political analogy.

I don't see the connection with drug use.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 17 2011, 10:45 AM)
They certainly smoked some weed back in the 70s, and Neil has admitted to a handful of acid trips.

Today, I doubt they do anything heavy. Perhaps some weed on very rare occassions, for old times sake.

But I'll tell you: I hate the question more than the probable answer. We get this question every few months, and almost always from someone who does drugs himself. Some users seek validation for their partaking - wanting their musical heroes to be users like they are.

I hear ya. However, the op doesn't use and even stated that he hopes they don't.

My problem with it is that many folks still lump even the occasional pot smoker in with hard drug using morons like Motley Crue. Funny thing is that I haven't smoked in years but I will always hate when that connection is made.

QUOTE (Spindrift @ Jul 16 2011, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2011, 08:24 PM)
The lyrics to 'The Trees' is a dead give away that Neil was partaking in some recreational use as well.

Are you serious?

The Trees is a social/political analogy.

I don't see the connection with drug use.

His point is that you'd have to be high to come up with that kind of analogy in the first place.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 16 2011, 10:44 PM)

Today, I doubt they do anything heavy.  Perhaps some weed on very rare occassions, for old times sake.

But I'll tell you: I hate the question more than the probable answer.  We get this question every few months, and almost always from someone who does drugs himself.  Some users seek validation for their partaking - wanting their musical heroes to be users like they are.

I hear ya. However, the op doesn't use and even stated that he hopes they don't.

My problem with it is that many folks still lump even the occasional pot smoker in with hard drug using morons like Motley Crue. Funny thing is that I haven't smoked in years but I will always hate when that connection is made.

Hilarious.....OP says he hopes not. I'm willing to bet they still do them to some extent.

Who cares though? I can't believe how many people feel the need to defend the band in discussions like this......saying things like there's no way they do nowadays....etc. Neil smokes 2 packs a day which is FAR worse then a few puffs of herb.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 16 2011, 11:44 PM)

Today, I doubt they do anything heavy.  Perhaps some weed on very rare occassions, for old times sake.

But I'll tell you: I hate the question more than the probable answer.  We get this question every few months, and almost always from someone who does drugs himself.  Some users seek validation for their partaking - wanting their musical heroes to be users like they are.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. That makes THIS THREAD different than the other "do they do drugs" threads. All the others are from pot smokers and LSD users who want to believe the guys use as much as they (the posters) do. It drives me crazy, and not because I think the guys have always been clean - I don't think that at all. The other threads have a message like "I smoke pot and I bet Rush does, too."

I can't believe how many people feel the need to defend the band in discussions like this......saying things like there's no way they do nowadays....etc.

My "defense" of the band is no different than the "defense" of the band by users. They really really want the band to be users like they are, while myself and others want to see them as FORMER or INFREQUENT users, or maybe even completely drug-free. We all create Ged in our own image.

I'm about 98% sure that they don't PERFORM while under the influence of anything. You can't accurately play music as complex as they do while drunk, stoned, tripping, etc.

Neil smokes 2 packs a day which is FAR worse then a few puffs of herb. 

Really, two packs a day? Do you hang out with him for days at a time? How do you know this?

I don't think Neil ever smoked that much, even at his WORST. Maybe one pack. He's quit and re-started several times since then, and today - if I have this right - he still smokes, but only a few per day. Very little. Alex, same thing: he's cut way back. Geddy used to smoke, too, but quit completely in the mid-80s.