Did Rush Do Any Drugs

Nate2112

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I saw Alex shooting up behind a dumpster one night in downtown Toronto.

I dunno, maybe I was high.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 5 2011, 08:31 AM)

And then they matured, and have since cleaned up their act. Can't think of a single drug any of them does anymore.

They all still drink and I believe Neil still smokes.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jul 8 2011, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 5 2011, 08:31 AM)

And then they matured, and have since cleaned up their act.  Can't think of a single drug any of them does anymore.

They all still drink and I believe Neil still smokes.

He smokes cigs and seems like he drinks quite a bit, no way to know about weed though. Wouldnt surprise me at all though.

Seeing sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyABiUpihs...tailpage#t=180s

makes me wonder.....

along with the timing flubs here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyABiUpihs...tailpage#t=188s

and this interlude..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyABiUpihs...tailpage#t=210s

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 8 2011, 09:14 PM)
Why is this still a thread?

People are just curious. Even though they've admitted to doing drugs, Rush has this squeaky clean image because aside from Alex in all these years they really haven't gotten into any major drama or trouble, which I guess is unusual for a rock band coming out of the 70s, and probably a big part of why they are still together.

Just proof that they never let it take control or interfere with the band. I dont know how anyone could think they werent on anything listening to stuff like CoS. Didnt Geddy talk about them being on drugs during the writing of that album? I remember this in a pretty recent interview, was it mentioned in the movie?

in one of neils books he talks about a close friend of the band getting busted for dealing weed.

as far as drugs goes, a little booze (a drug) or weed never hurt any non addict. not all folks who use drugs are addicts. people forget this. i don't smoke anymore, but there's nothing wrong with it (certianly safer than booze from a society/beharioral standpoint) , and its a joke that its illegal, imho. also, it seems a large majority of musicians and artists enjoy a little altered consciousness now and again, i believe it stimulates something in the creative part of the brain, thus its popularity w/ said creative types.

banghead.gif

lol looks like a giant doobie allright,

I dont know if Rush have ever done drugs but if they have it hasent impacted at what they do best over the past 40 odd years.

actually Ged and Al had been asked if drugs ever influenced their work in an interview 04

GL: Constantly.

AL: Absolutely.

QUOTE (gedfan @ Jul 11 2011, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 11 2011, 09:54 AM)
I was viewing Rush 'The Making of Snakes And Arrows' documentary online.

At 3:35-3:36, here I wonder what that is in the ashtray.

wow nice catch!

splif

Isn't this, by and large, a fan message board?

If so, how can a fan not note the many drug references in both song and prose?

Bigger questions: "Why wouldn't they?" (Drugs heighten many things.)

"Does it matter?" (Of course not; inspired work always inspires.)

The use of drugs does not diminish the integrity of an artist. Moreover, why do many conservatives falsely believe drugs can't be done responsibly?

We know their current vices. trink38.gif trink38.gif Neil loves booze and smokes. Geddy and Alex are oenophiles.

Do the math...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Jul 11 2011, 08:24 PM)
Isn't this, by and large, a fan message board?

If so, how can a fan not note the many drug references in both song and prose?

Bigger questions: "Why wouldn't they?" (Drugs heighten many things.)
"Does it matter?" (Of course not; inspired work always inspires.)

The use of drugs does not diminish the integrity of an artist. Moreover, why do many conservatives falsely believe drugs can't be done responsibly?

We know their current vices. trink38.gif trink38.gif Neil loves booze and smokes. Geddy and Alex are oenophiles.

Do the math...

trink38.gif

You're right, it doesnt matter if they did drugs because of the fact that its obvious none of them let it effect their lives in any major way. They obviously arent ashamed of it considering they've talked about doing drugs many times. I think if it were ever a problem for them they wouldnt talk about it in the casual way they do.

The fact that it never got out of control is why so many people think they are completely straight edge, which they werent always, and may not even be now. Who knows.

100% likely back in the old days. However, i'm pretty sure that they're too professional to do weed now. They definitely have drinks though. Not on stage obviously, but outside of the venue and stuff, during meals, and that i got from Neil's books.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 12 2011, 02:17 AM)
i'm pretty sure that they're too professional to do weed now.

Ah right, so they can get borderline drunk at a hunting lodge while being filmed for a documentary and still be 'professional', but if they possibly smoke some weed off camera between themselves but still be able to play good music the next day then they aren't 'professional'? Ok then, glad that's cleared up.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 11 2011, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (gedfan @ Jul 11 2011, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 11 2011, 09:54 AM)
I was viewing Rush 'The Making of Snakes And Arrows' documentary online.

At 3:35-3:36, here I wonder what that is in the ashtray.

wow nice catch!

splif

Bluntsville babeeeeeeee!! cool10.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 12 2011, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 12 2011, 03:17 PM)
i'm pretty sure that they're too professional to do weed now

You're on acid. trink38.gif

I may be, but it just doesn't seem like something they do. When I mean, "professional" it seems like the bands that still do it sound like crap. But they don't. That's just my opinion. I could be very wrong.