Did Rush Do Any Drugs

Nate2112

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caress of Steel was written almost entirely under the influence, according to the band (probably why it's so sloppy), and "A Passage to Bangkok" is about traveling the world to get different drugs. I think that they stopped after the '70s, though. Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 3 2011, 06:56 PM)
Caress of Steel was written almost entirely under the influence, according to the band (probably why it's so sloppy), and "A Passage to Bangkok" is about traveling the world to get different drugs. I think that they stopped after the '70s, though.

COS sloppy...not to me.

QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Jul 3 2011, 08:27 PM)
Yes the fellas definitely dabbled in drug use. But you know what? A toke or two of Mary Jane never hurt anyone new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Damn right! Drugs are fun sometimes, just don't go overboard. I wouldn't be surprised if the boys toked a bit in their younger years.

Considering Geddy admited on Beyond The Lighted Stage that they were high when they wrote most of COS I would say yes. Plus, how can you not listen to songs like ITIGB, The Necromancer and TFOL and not think they were high while doing that is beyond me.

I'm guessing through most of the 70s they were using drugs. Very few bands didn't do it to some extent back then. The lyrics to 'The Trees' is a dead give away that Neil was partaking in some recreational use as well.

Also, who else writes songs about Cygnus X-1 and greek gods if they weren't cool10.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 3 2011, 08:37 PM)
I bet they still do....

Considering people do that to spark creativity, it's possible. Though I doubt it would be to the extent they did it back in the 70s.

I would say YES, it was the thing to do in the 70's...a toke of some smoke cool10.gif was alright in my book. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them take a toke every now and then today.

As rabid as 2.gif fans are today the band could use some thing to get away from it all every once in a while. tongue.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 3 2011, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 3 2011, 06:56 PM)
Caress of Steel was written almost entirely under the influence, according to the band (probably why it's so sloppy), and "A Passage to Bangkok" is about traveling the world to get different drugs.  I think that they stopped after the '70s, though.

COS sloppy...not to me.

My thoughts exactly! Pure epicness if you ask me.

+2 in regards to COS being pure epicness.

Of course they did drugs. Plenty of caffeine, tobacco, alcohol, and if you consider it a drug, marijuana (less harfmul than the three previous ones mentioned).

Edited by apetersvt

Deep from a file marked "Duh" wink.gif

That interview from 1980 or so, an extra on the R30 DVD, is definitely an indication. If Alex isn't baked in that, I don't know a paper from a water pipe. You can tell that he is making a real effort to disappear into his chair; not talking or even looking at the camera... until he gets a mask on. We've all been there, feeling like you have a neon sign over your head announcing your condition to the world.... well, those of us who have cool10.gif

Do they still? Maybe. But certainly never when there is business to take care of.

I'm sure I remember Neil saying in one of his books that he took cannabis when he was younger, but I don't know about Alex and Geddy.

Out of curiosity, (as I've got BTLS), when did Geddy say something about being high as I must've missed it?

Where's the facepalm emoticon..?

I think anyone who claims the RUSH guys never took a hit off a joint at least once in a while during the '70's is kidding themselves -- but I'm pretty sure Ged stopped smoking cigarettes in the '80's in order to help preserve his voice (thank goodness).

I personally never understood the "it sparks creativity" claim but that's because I get my adrenaline rush through roller coasters and writing, and my inspiration through epic music. But that's another rant for another day. Almost everyone does at least a couple stupid things when they're young. No one's perfect. The important thing is to grow up!

CoS is epic. And im sure they did back in the day. No problem with that. and all this talk about marijuana usage is making me want to smoke a little. lol its been about 4 years since I quit, but i'd definately do it again. LOL

Yeah, I'm sure they did..Heck, everyone was gettin' either

boozed up-whiffed out-or toked down....that's a fact..

especially in the " stoned age" (the 70's) If you weren't

you weren't "where it's at" I did my share..and then some.

I aint proud of it..Just thankful to be alive.

I was an addict for 10 LONG yrs...Then got delivered from

the grips of big time drug-abuse..and I thank God every day

for that..AMEN. I made alot of mistakes when I was young,

but I've learned from them, and have been clean and sober

for 12 yrs..and I don't miss it at all..I'll have a brew every once

in a while..but not every day...I'm one of the lucky ones,

for sure..there were alot of our rock-star heroe's who weren't so

fortunate..and died way too soon..So I count my blessing's

everyday , when I wake up and see the sun rise.

I'm glad RUSH chose to go the clean and sober route..their

music benefited BIG TIME.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I am not a betting man, but I'll bet you my Rush collection they did a little (or a lot) of cool10.gif

My friend told me that his friend told him that Geddy used to mainline heroin. I don't know where that rumor came from and I never believed it.

If you want video proof of drug use watch the extra scenes on Beyond The Lighted Stage where they indulge in alcohol for about four hours. cosmo.gif