Eddie Van Halen Or Alex Van Halen, I Mean.....

RUSHHEAD666

Which Guitar "Horse" Do You Think Is The Most Skilled?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which Guitar "Horse" Do You Think Is The Most Skilled?

• Alex Lifeson
    • Eddie Van Halen

Funny you should mention about 1978, I saw VH four times that summer. Not specifically to see them but they were at every outdoor venue in the country. That was pretty much the end of my "hard rock" listening years. I felt it just was getting away from the music and going for the show. That is the way I feel about EVH and what followed.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie only wishes he were as good as Alex.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 28 2011, 06:23 AM)
I can't vote here...

Here's my 0.02....

I have been playing guitar for 35 years...I would consider myself pretty qualified to make this statement.
You asked which is the most skilled....

Eddie has more raw skill IMHO. He can play circles around just about anyone.

Eddie is different from guys like Malmsteen and Vai, and Satriani and Johnson etc., because although they may be more technically skilled than Van Halen, Van Halen is a master song writer and is simply far more emotive than these guys. It is why I prefer Eddie to all of these guys. Van Halen is classically trained which helps him in soloing and chord arrangement, and is the one with the multiplatinum records hanging all over the place. Sadly Eddie could have been quite the guy these days, but his self-destructive nature has darkened his brightness far too early. He is a shadow of his former self because he didn't take care of himself and grow as a musician.

Alex is the better guitarist--IMHO. I would rather hear 10 seconds of Alex's playing than 10 minutes of Eddie's. I have everything both of these guys has ever written. Alex's emotion trumps Eddie's. He isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is mine. I know he can't play at the technically virtuoso level that Eddie can, but just like I prefer Van Halen to all the other listed above for what Van Halen can do with arrangement and emotion within his music, I prefer Lifeson to Van Halen for similar reasons. Lifeson can get more out of a chosen chord at a spot in a song, or a chosen note within a song, or a chosen way to go with a solo than just about anyone I can think of. It isn't always flash, but it is just about always soul shaking. He is so underrated, it makes my head hurt. Alex is a good role model as well, which I believe is important for young musicians striving to make it in such a screwed up business. I have learned to play most of the early Van Halen songs and solos over the years, and most of the Rush songs and guitar solos over the years....Let me tell you, it is a LOT HARDER to sound like Alex Lifeson playing than Eddie Van Halen playing. There are fewer notes and slower scales with Alex's songs, but his deep feeling is something that is just so very difficult for even a guitarist that has been playing for 35 years like myself to capture. The way he can phrase his notes and chords is simply sublime.

So I can't vote based on the way you asked the question. Eddie is more technically skilled, Alex is a better guitarist...

Very well put, it's about how I see it also. My first band's guitarist worshipped eddies style and sounded just like him. I've heard many guitarists over the years play and sound like Eddy. Very few get Alex's sound right for more than a few songs, nevermind his other 4 decades worth of tones, styles, and approaches to the guitar as a flexible and emotional tool.

Lerxst ftw

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 28 2011, 04:59 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 28 2011, 01:20 AM)
There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Hmmm That's deep...

Hahaha! No doubt! This is one of Jim's best posts ever!!

I get it! "THE DEEP!"

Sincerely,

Nick Nolte, Jacqueline Bisset and Robert Shaw

"There is lava at the bottom of an active volcano!

Both Alex and Eddie blow the tops off of all mountains!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 28 2011, 08:51 PM)
John Petrucci.

John Petrucci is the Dan Uggla of guitar players.

A steroid using robot with lots of talent.

Petrucci is text book guitar smart but he has absolutely no soul.

Eddie and Alex both blow John away.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 28 2011, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 28 2011, 06:44 PM)
If we're just talking technical ability, easily Eddie. He plays some really difficult shit, but not much of what Alex has done is very difficult for an experienced guitarist, and many experienced guitarists still cant pull off some of what Eddie did as good as he did it.

He has some really awkward finger runs. Very creative player. Alex is much more of a straight forward guitarist, does whats best for the song, does standard issue scales a lot, nothing really overly difficult or original. He's just a very solid guitarist, but doesnt do anything noones ever heard before. Eddie on the otherhand is a pioneer in some ways and far more influential than Alex, so just as a guitarist I definitely think Eddie's better.

pretty much sums up my opinion....

as far as technical ability, this isn't even close......Eddie is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Alex just isn't in that league.

What about chord progressions?...I Find a lot of eddies chord progressions not as interesting as Alex's. And did V.H ever play in any grooves not in straight 4/4 time?...It seems Eddie has , or had, a handful of tricks that he used over and over..

seriously, how many dive bombs and screaming pinch harmonics can you here before it gets old?...I could care less if his legato and alternate picking is more developed ...lets see Eddie play Broons Bane...he admits he can't finger pick....Alex is a more well rounded guitar player.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 28 2011, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 28 2011, 08:34 AM)
Eddie is more technically skilled, Alex is a better guitarist...

wtf.gif

Fail

No, he didn't fail there. He's saying that while Eddie has more technical skill, Alex is a better overall guitarist because of everything else he brings to the table. His post explains all that very clearly.

Maybe YOU failed for picking out that one sentence instead of reading his whole post. wink.gif

Well said!

If I could choose to be either player I would pick alex because in the end the stuff you play has to be musical . and not the equivalent of musical masturbation . VH had some brilliant moments like the intro and song mean streets , eruption ect but Alex does stuff that is mind blowing . The intro to spirit of radio ? La villa solo , even during the synth years he did textures and fills that made a chill go up my spine . I play guitar and I dont do it well compared to these two . I know how difficult it is to play like both of them VH especially but technical prowess is not a guarantee you will be musical . Look at players like Joe satriani and vai . I cant think of one melody they wrote .I am curious how the new VH work will sound but if it not stellar I am through with them . they have been sucking since 1996 and thats a lifetime in the music biz .

I'll give my take on this not that it matters to some, but here goes..

AT one time eddie was the best , I'd say eddie was always winning guitar player awards ect. But when van halen came out in 78. they really ripped up, they saved music from the disco scene and brought rock back in a new way.

ok, i will keep this short.. Alex can play more blusey kind stuff . eddie does the same tapping style.. Not saying eddie can't. but alex is more active and is more down to earth. Where eddie cant get along with anyone other than his brother. I think that i would go with big al today. but in 1993 i would say eddie.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 28 2011, 03:43 AM)
Eddie simply doesn't have the variety Lerxt has. He's truly a unique and damn good player, but he can't do anywhere near as much as Alex. Alex can't quite do what VH is best at, but VH can't do half the things Alex is just okay at smile.gif

This sounds about right.

I don't think VH can craft a song as well as Alex can...and a solo don't a song make.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 29 2011, 05:10 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 28 2011, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 28 2011, 08:34 AM)
Eddie is more technically skilled, Alex is a better guitarist...

wtf.gif

Fail

No, he didn't fail there. He's saying that while Eddie has more technical skill, Alex is a better overall guitarist because of everything else he brings to the table. His post explains all that very clearly.

Maybe YOU failed for picking out that one sentence instead of reading his whole post. wink.gif

Well said!

dazed025.gif

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 28 2011, 10:51 PM)
John Petrucci.

Well yeah, obviously he destroys both of these guys, but I think its more appropriate to compare Eddie and Alex because they are fairly similar and closer to each other in terms of ability. Neither of them can touch Petrucci though so thats not a fair comparison.

He can rip a solo and absolutely bury Alex and Eddie all day, but he also knows how to keep it simple too when it needs to be. You rarely see that in quitarists with his skill level. They usually just shred all the time but he has a lot of feeling in his playing. He has a lot of the same qualities as Alex but he's a far better technical player.

Watch this.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2011, 12:16 PM)
John Petrucci.

Well yeah, obviously he destroys both of these guys, but I think its more appropriate to compare Eddie and Alex because they are fairly similar and closer to each other in terms of ability. Neither of them can touch Petrucci though so thats not a fair comparison.

He can rip a solo and absolutely bury Alex and Eddie all day, but he also knows how to keep it simple too when it needs to be. You rarely see that in quitarists with his skill level. They usually just shred all the time but he has a lot of feeling in his playing. He has a lot of the same qualities as Alex but he's a far better technical player.

Watch this.

LOVE J.P., but this post is a masterpiece of opinion. (in my opinion wink.gif )

Just think about how technically virtuosic and emotive most studio musicians are. Technically better. Likely. Do they have that little something extra to create pieces that speak to people like say, Alex, has in so much of his best work. I don't believe so.

At his worst, Big Al's stuff is "okay". At best, incredibly moving. Petrucci at his best, astounding; but has never tugged at my heart strings or made me joyful. It's difficult to articulate.

Edited by ioc

Eddie was a Rock Guitar innovator. He is the reason Hair bands got so popular and thousands of young boys went out and bought a guitar to try and learn how to play like this amazing musician.

Alex matches Eddie in feeling but is a far more skilled guitarist. Lerxst is innovative in Prog Rock circles and because his phrasing and soloing are so difficult is the reason those boys sold their guitars on eBay!

This is truly Apples and Oranges...

I have to give the edge to Alex for his continued innovativeness and longevity.

Eddie inspired me when I was young...Alex has inspired me all my life.

End of line....

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Jun 29 2011, 03:28 PM)
Eddie was a Rock Guitar innovator. He is the reason Hair bands got so popular and thousands of young boys went out and bought a guitar to try and learn how to play like this amazing musician.

Alex matches Eddie in feeling but is a far more skilled guitarist. Lerxst is innovative in Prog Rock circles and because his phrasing and soloing are so difficult is the reason those boys sold their guitars on eBay!

This is truly Apples and Oranges...

I have to give the edge to Alex for his continued innovativeness and longevity.

Eddie inspired me when I was young...Alex has inspired me all my life.

End of line....

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

yes, but as much as EVH influenced guitarists as a player- he did even more so as an innovative guitar designer!

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jun 29 2011, 12:16 PM)
I think everyone is giving Eddie a little too much credit. He's not that good,

one of the best guitarists of all time......but yeah, he's not that good.....I suppose you're better?

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 29 2011, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 29 2011, 12:42 AM)

tongue.gif

He is like a big legged woman?

yep, rofl3.gif

Every guitar player that came after EVH has to be viewed through that prism much like the bands that came along after the Beatles. How much influence did EVH have on them has to be considered before determining where they fit in.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 29 2011, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 29 2011, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 29 2011, 12:42 AM)

tongue.gif

He is like a big legged woman?

yep, rofl3.gif

Every guitar player that came after EVH has to be viewed through that prism much like the bands that came along after the Beatles. How much influence did EVH have on them has to be considered before determining where they fit in.

This is the key also...what bands/artists did Eddie influence?..His style is very much stuck in one time period..the 80s...I have seen a lot of bands over the years at clubs, and really, you dont see eddies style much, unless it is some cheesy bar band doing an 80s song...It is cool when eddie does it, but you dont hear a lot of guys copying him anymore...Really, he influenced a lot of Sunset Strip guys and dudes on youtube copying his style down to his striped guitar

John Petrucci.

Watch this.

JP is a great player, but his band is on the boring side IMO. saw them open for maiden last year...ho-humm is my lasting impression.

if you're looking for pure shredding with flavor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3ec2cCaJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g&feature=related

John Petrucci.

Watch this.

I clicked the link and watched all 7:18 of it. Well, watched a bit because I had to close my eyes so I wouldn't dismiss it as hair metal noodling. I kept waiting for the brilliance and didn't find it. The man is talented and technically proficient and incredibly boring. I'll always like guitarists like Alex Lifeson or Steve Howe or even Keith Richards more than guys like that or Eddie Van Halen because they have soul in their playing.

It's just my opinion and we all like what we like, but I think without soul and a little bit of blues the electric guitar sounds cold.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 30 2011, 09:05 AM)
John Petrucci.

Watch this.

I clicked the link and watched all 7:18 of it. Well, watched a bit because I had to close my eyes so I wouldn't dismiss it as hair metal noodling. I kept waiting for the brilliance and didn't find it. The man is talented and technically proficient and incredibly boring. I'll always like guitarists like Alex Lifeson or Steve Howe or even Keith Richards more than guys like that or Eddie Van Halen because they have soul in their playing.

It's just my opinion and we all like what we like, but I think without soul and a little bit of blues the electric guitar sounds cold.

shredding in general sounds cold to most. i am with you. i wsa just comparing paul and yngwie to JP.

buckethead, gus g., joe satriani- those guys can flat out SH A RED...

but i'd rather hear lifeson or jimmy page too.

let's face it shredding is not for the faint of heart biggrin.gif trink39.gif