Eddie Van Halen Or Alex Van Halen, I Mean.....

RUSHHEAD666

Which Guitar "Horse" Do You Think Is The Most Skilled?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which Guitar "Horse" Do You Think Is The Most Skilled?

• Alex Lifeson
    • Eddie Van Halen

It's the Final Apples To Oranges Thread, hence the trilogy is now complete!

Who would ever compare Alex to Eddie?

Well why not?

The brown sound is so sexy to the ears, yet since I just saw Alex perform last night I too might have to be biased on this pick.

Eddie Munster and his "Frankenstein" guitar have been hidden away for years, meanwhile Alex has been busting his ass year after year on stage.

Alex Lifeson is the "Iron Horse" of ROCK. He is the Cal Ripken Jr. of guitar playing.

Eddie was the best in the world at one time but unlike Apple stock he keeps shitting the bed over and over again unless the new Van Halen album is a wake up call to all!!

After juggling the apples and oranges in the air like the guy in the hat inside the "Hold Your Fire" jacket, I have to go with Lerxst.

2.gif ON! cool10.gif

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it:

Eddie is more of a "show-offy" guitar player who incorporates tasty bluesy licks with his crazy tapping speed stuff. Van Halen is more riff oriented as a whole than Rush. Eddie would play a bunch of crazy "guitar fills" in between phrases in a lot of VH songs

While Alex was riff driven in the 70's, he wasn't as show-offy. He creates textures and sounds with his guitar. He still does have his show-off moments, but they aren't as frequent and as flamboyant as Eddie

I love both and have seen both of them live and they are fantastic

Edited by Analog_Bro

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 27 2011, 11:11 PM)
The way I see it:

Eddie is more of a "show-offy" guitar player who incorporates tasty bluesy licks with his crazy tapping speed stuff. Van Halen is more riff oriented as a whole than Rush. Eddie would play a bunch of crazy "guitar fills" in between phrases in a lot of VH songs

While Alex was riff driven in the 70's, he wasn't as show-offy. He creates textures and sounds with his guitar. He still does have his show-off moments, but they aren't as frequent and as flamboyant as Eddie

Well stated Analog Bro and welcome to the forum.

From what I can tell you know your stuff. They are both fantastic, hence the poll.

You seem like an excellent addition to the Rush Forum.

"Carry On My Wayward Son!"

Love,

KANSAS

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 28 2011, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 27 2011, 11:11 PM)
The way I see it:

Eddie is more of a "show-offy" guitar player who incorporates tasty bluesy licks with his crazy tapping speed stuff.  Van Halen is more riff oriented as a whole than Rush.  Eddie would play a bunch of crazy "guitar fills" in between phrases in a lot of VH songs

While Alex was riff driven in the 70's, he wasn't as show-offy.  He creates textures and sounds with his guitar.  He still does have his show-off moments, but they aren't as frequent and as flamboyant as Eddie

Well stated Analog Bro and welcome to the forum.

From what I can tell you know your stuff. They are both fantastic, hence the poll.

You seem like an excellent addition to the Rush Forum.

"Carry On My Wayward Son!"

Love,

KANSAS

trink39.gif

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad I found a place where Rush fanatics can congregate smile.gif

Rush fans are truly a strange and awesome breed! Most of my friends I know either never heard of Rush or only know YYZ and Tom Sawyer (I'm only 17 so most of my peers are off listening to My Chemical Romance and Avenged Sevenfold lol) so its really cool to get to talk to other people who know Rush inside and out smile.gif

Edited by Analog_Bro

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 27 2011, 11:51 PM)
Rush fans are truly a strange and awesome breed! Most of the people I know either never heard of Rush or only know YYZ and Tom Sawyer (I'm only 17 so most of my peers are off listening to My Chemical Romance lol) so its really cool to get to talk to other people who know Rush inside and out smile.gif

Right on "Analog Kid!"

You are a breath of fresh air! I'm 43 and still addicted to Rush!

I try to get my daughters into this genre of music and there is no hope.

They have both seen Rush twice and they are done.

They want to see Katy Perry this November. Ugh.

I will probably have to give in and take them! Even my wife loves Katy Perry! I am doomed!

Keep the torch burning dude!! Rush Rules Forever!

trink39.gif

Alex is a more crafted guitarist, who writes solos with feeling BUT in my mind I answered the question "Who is the more naturally gifted guitarist" ~ always Eddie

I saw VH on their 1984 Tour and Eddie was staggeringly comfortable throwing out blisteringly fast (for the time) note perfect and very technical solos.

It is a very tough and close call for me, but EVH takes it

Eddie simply doesn't have the variety Lerxt has. He's truly a unique and damn good player, but he can't do anywhere near as much as Alex. Alex can't quite do what VH is best at, but VH can't do half the things Alex is just okay at smile.gif

I think that these questions are all about perspective...when EVH came on the scene, he knocked me on my ass. Al did the same, but not with as much shock. Difference is, Al continues to interest me whereas EVH has not done so since 1981.

I can't vote here...

Here's my 0.02....

I have been playing guitar for 35 years...I would consider myself pretty qualified to make this statement.

You asked which is the most skilled....

Eddie has more raw skill IMHO. He can play circles around just about anyone.

Eddie is different from guys like Malmsteen and Vai, and Satriani and Johnson etc., because although they may be more technically skilled than Van Halen, Van Halen is a master song writer and is simply far more emotive than these guys. It is why I prefer Eddie to all of these guys. Van Halen is classically trained which helps him in soloing and chord arrangement, and is the one with the multiplatinum records hanging all over the place. Sadly Eddie could have been quite the guy these days, but his self-destructive nature has darkened his brightness far too early. He is a shadow of his former self because he didn't take care of himself and grow as a musician.

Alex is the better guitarist--IMHO. I would rather hear 10 seconds of Alex's playing than 10 minutes of Eddie's. I have everything both of these guys has ever written. Alex's emotion trumps Eddie's. He isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is mine. I know he can't play at the technically virtuoso level that Eddie can, but just like I prefer Van Halen to all the other listed above for what Van Halen can do with arrangement and emotion within his music, I prefer Lifeson to Van Halen for similar reasons. Lifeson can get more out of a chosen chord at a spot in a song, or a chosen note within a song, or a chosen way to go with a solo than just about anyone I can think of. It isn't always flash, but it is just about always soul shaking. He is so underrated, it makes my head hurt. Alex is a good role model as well, which I believe is important for young musicians striving to make it in such a screwed up business. I have learned to play most of the early Van Halen songs and solos over the years, and most of the Rush songs and guitar solos over the years....Let me tell you, it is a LOT HARDER to sound like Alex Lifeson playing than Eddie Van Halen playing. There are fewer notes and slower scales with Alex's songs, but his deep feeling is something that is just so very difficult for even a guitarist that has been playing for 35 years like myself to capture. The way he can phrase his notes and chords is simply sublime.

So I can't vote based on the way you asked the question. Eddie is more technically skilled, Alex is a better guitarist...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 28 2011, 01:20 AM)
There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Hmmm That's deep...

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jun 28 2011, 01:29 AM)
Go listen to the solo in La Villa and you will have your answer.

but then go listen to eruption or i'm on fire or bottoms up or hang 'em high...

you could literally argue this one into the ground. both guys are icons.

if i could jam with one of them, and hang out for a few hours? alex in a heartbeat.

AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 28 2011, 06:23 AM)
I can't vote here...

Here's my 0.02....

I have been playing guitar for 35 years...I would consider myself pretty qualified to make this statement.
You asked which is the most skilled....

Eddie has more raw skill IMHO. He can play circles around just about anyone.

Eddie is different from guys like Malmsteen and Vai, and Satriani and Johnson etc., because although they may be more technically skilled than Van Halen, Van Halen is a master song writer and is simply far more emotive than these guys. It is why I prefer Eddie to all of these guys. Van Halen is classically trained which helps him in soloing and chord arrangement, and is the one with the multiplatinum records hanging all over the place. Sadly Eddie could have been quite the guy these days, but his self-destructive nature has darkened his brightness far too early. He is a shadow of his former self because he didn't take care of himself and grow as a musician.

Alex is the better guitarist--IMHO. I would rather hear 10 seconds of Alex's playing than 10 minutes of Eddie's. I have everything both of these guys has ever written. Alex's emotion trumps Eddie's. He isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is mine. I know he can't play at the technically virtuoso level that Eddie can, but just like I prefer Van Halen to all the other listed above for what Van Halen can do with arrangement and emotion within his music, I prefer Lifeson to Van Halen for similar reasons. Lifeson can get more out of a chosen chord at a spot in a song, or a chosen note within a song, or a chosen way to go with a solo than just about anyone I can think of. It isn't always flash, but it is just about always soul shaking. He is so underrated, it makes my head hurt. Alex is a good role model as well, which I believe is important for young musicians striving to make it in such a screwed up business. I have learned to play most of the early Van Halen songs and solos over the years, and most of the Rush songs and guitar solos over the years....Let me tell you, it is a LOT HARDER to sound like Alex Lifeson playing than Eddie Van Halen playing. There are fewer notes and slower scales with Alex's songs, but his deep feeling is something that is just so very difficult for even a guitarist that has been playing for 35 years like myself to capture. The way he can phrase his notes and chords is simply sublime.

So I can't vote based on the way you asked the question. Eddie is more technically skilled, Alex is a better guitarist...

goodpost.gif

I don't own anything by VH for the same reason that I don't own anything by a lot of good sounding musicians. They sound great on the radio or I have seen a video, but they don't move me. I'll take EVH in small doses.

I accidentally voted for Eddie Van Halen, but to me Alex is better. I wouldn't disagree that Eddie is more naturally skilled than Alex, but in a way, I think that's been to his detriment. I think that somewhere along the line Eddie got complacent because he IS so monstrously talented, and stopped growing. This poll would have been a tougher call 30 years ago.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 28 2011, 06:59 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 28 2011, 01:20 AM)
There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Hmmm That's deep...

user posted image