NFL back in the LA Area?

kazzman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8461359

Anaheim unveils plans for potential NFL stadium

NFL.com wire reports

ANAHEIM, Calif. (May 10, 2005) -- The city of Anaheim outlined plans for a football stadium near the home of the Angels that could house an NFL franchise by 2008.

"We have an economic impact report approved for a 70,500-seat state-of-the-art stadium," said John Nicoletti, the city's external affairs manager. "We are working with the NFL to finalize our term sheet for their upcoming owners meeting May 24-25 in Washington, D.C.

"We would love to be able to host NFL games in 2008."

Anaheim is one of four sites in the greater Los Angeles area being considered for an NFL franchise. The others are the Los Angeles Coliseum, the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and a proposed stadium in Carson.

Nicoletti, joined by several other city officials at the presentation, said the plan included a grand parkway that would link the stadium with Disneyland and other sports venues.

"If called upon, we are ready to make our presentation to the NFL owners at the meetings in two weeks," Nicoletti said.

David Carter, principal of The Sports Business Group, a marketing consultant, said after months of study he believes Anaheim is the best site for an NFL owner.

Anaheim hired the Sports Business Group last fall to ascertain the best site from an owner's perspective for an NFL franchise in the greater Los Angeles area. The proposed stadium in Anaheim is about 35 miles south of downtown Los Angeles.

"If I'm an NFL owner, I think I can make more money and build my franchise value more in Anaheim than at the other sites," Carter said.

But, Carter added, there are other elements to consider.

"We came back with the fact that each of the four competing sites has some real attributes and each has shortcomings," he said. "Ultimately, Anaheim's biggest shortcoming is the real estate values continue to escalate rapidly and the city believes there are additional uses for that land.

"(Anaheim) may be the optimal site if you're an NFL owner, but it's very expensive, almost so attractive it could be tough to justify putting an NFL stadium in there."

The area has been without an NFL franchise since the Rams left Anaheim for St. Louis and the Raiders left Los Angeles for Oakland before the 1995 season.

Archived