03 - Best Song From Caress Of Steel

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1172 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Bastille Day
    • I Think I'm Going Bald
    • Lakeside Park
    • The Necromancer
    • The Fountain of Lamenth

This is not exactly one of my favorite Rush albums for 2 large reasons. These may not be popular sentiments but the Necromancer and the Fountain of Lamneth are amoung some of my least favorite Rush songs. Strange in a way because I really like some of their other epics. Then again, I am not into the wacky weed and Rush has admitted they were definitely into the weed when they did this album

The other 3 songs on the album are all at least ok if not outright really good. Went with Bastille Day by a reasonably close margin over Lakeside Park

I went with Bastile Day. I truely felt this was the best song on the album. Considering the composition, this was the only song that felt complete. The Necromancer is great but I just find the talking portions of the songs just too distracting. And Fountain however Epic leaves much to be desired, it was a good attempt at what they accomplished with 2112.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

1. Fountain of Lamneth

2.Necromancer

3. Bastille

4. Lakeside

5. Going Bald

This is one of my favorite albums, soo hard to choose. Each song has a strong point:

Fountain- I like the whole surreal, D&D-esq storybook quality of Fountain. In any case, how many other songs are there that use the word "ambergris"?

Necromancer: Good By-Tor! Plus narration!

Bastille: Tremello voice, This song is next to "kick ass" in the dictionary

Lakeside: Makes me nostalgic, even though I have never been there!

I Think I'm Going Bald: Thought was really dumb the first time I heard it in 76. It is growing on me though.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 26 2004, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 24 2004, 06:14 PM)
Went with Fountain, because it is their first full length piece, but would also like to add that it could have been divided up, as each tune is stand alone as well as part of the greater whole.

In the Valley, Didacts and Narpets, No One At The Bridge, and Bachus Plateau in particular (but that really only leaves out Panacea, since the end is pretty much In the Valley).

COS is the first Rush album I ever bought. To learn Bastille Day for the band I was in when I was 12.

I agree with Cyg - I voted for Fountain, and if broken up, would say No-one at the Bridge.

Hmmmm.... love No One at the Bridge, but I've always been partial to Bacchus Plateau. The guitar solo in that song is a pure thing of beauty!

The Necromancer is #1 on my all-time favorite songs list. The first two searing, raging guitar solos and complementary bass parts give me a pure adrenaline RUSH every time I hear them, and the finale is more beautiful than words could ever possibly describe.

I'm really surprised Bastille Day scored so high in this vote. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, but IMO, Necromancer, Lakeside Park and Fountain of Lamneth are all clearly better choices.

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre

Fountain. No One at The Bridge demonstrates Rush can create interesting textures.

Thought this was cool: checked out this poll for the first time since voting in it last year, and it has exactly 1000 votes - 300 of 'em for 'Bastille Day', 30 for 'I Think I'm Going Bald'. Does this mean 'BD' is 10x as good as 'ITIGB'? tongue.gif

Edited to add: was wondering which song I'd actually voted for - apparently 'Bastille Day', though now after delving more deeply into CoS I think 'The Necromancer' is edging it out....

Edited by Mika

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Aug 3 2012, 11:16 AM)
Fountain. No One at The Bridge demonstrates Rush can create interesting textures.

trink39.gif

I've said it countless times over the years: "No One at the Bridge" has Alex's most emotive guitar part. Never before and never since has he played with that much "feel."

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 25 2004, 12:14 AM)
Went with Fountain, because it is their first full length piece, but would also like to add that it could have been divided up, as each tune is stand alone as well as part of the greater whole.

In the Valley, Didacts and Narpets, No One At The Bridge, and Bachus Plateau in particular (but that really only leaves out Panacea, since the end is pretty much In the Valley).

COS is the first Rush album I ever bought. To learn Bastille Day for the band I was in when I was 12.

The Fountain Of Lamneth for me as well. "In The Valley" makes it in my opinion.