high voltage

tel

Tel

I think it is wishful thinking

If Rush can come over and knock out 8 sell-out arena dates they aren't going to "pop over" for a one-off outdoor, small time 'has been' festival.

I like the idea of High Voltgae and I'm often surprised at the bands that do play, but Rush are still about 10 years away from there.

Just prey Schenker stays clean .. . and turns up

wink.gif

Well, they certainly will not be headlining Glastonbury next year because there is no Glastonbury next year. Apparently, it is something to do with insufficient porta-loos because of some obscure athletic tournament in twelve months time (for which the UK is shelling out despite our impoverished national finances).

I take Stuart's view that it won't happen as a one-off purely because of the financial bottom-line. It seems to me that they would do this only if it formed part of a European tour-leg, and the possibility of Rush touring the UK and Europe again in twelve months time seems pretty remote.

Would be pretty good though if they did do High Voltage; I'd love to go along, and it would be easy for me because I live in London.

8 sell out arena dates? I was at Sheffield and that definately was not sold out. Understand a few others weren't either....

Hope they don't consider one outdoor festival appearance as their UK visit on the next European tour. They would have to forfeit so many songs (not going to do their normal 3 hour stint) plus the stage show would inevitably suffer (lights/pyros inaffective in daylight).

Apparently it's practically certain they will play High Voltage next year. They are needed to take the event to the "next level" according to a little birdie...

The negotiations centre around the bands fee and ticket pricing.

I'm not keen on the idea. I don't see them as a festival band as I think they are a band that polarises people. People either like them or loathe them.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 29 2011, 02:46 AM)
Apparently it's practically certain they will play High Voltage next year. They are needed to take the event to the "next level" according to a little birdie...
The negotiations centre around the bands fee and ticket pricing.

I'm not keen on the idea. I don't see them as a festival band as I think they are a band that polarises people. People either like them or loathe them.

ungutted smile.gif

Good news. Let's hope this all comes off.

Assuming it will, it is a pity there is no Glastonbury next year. If Rush had played there, it would have been on the BBC's TV coverage of that festival - imagine Jo Whiley interviewing the guys.

Personally not happy with this if it does happen. Festivals are great if u are happy to camp out for 2/3 days..and I USED to be happy to do this in my younger years (KNEBWORTH - ZEP, CROPREDY), but I just do not see Rush as the kind of band to appear at this type of event, nor would I want to have to survive a mud/beer fest to see them (or a screen)! Ok if they are doing a few arena dates at the same visit - each to their own etc - but a sole festival appearance? Sorry, would not be impressed.

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Jul 11 2011, 03:28 PM)
...it's in July so its not going to be a mud bath.

Hahaha, coming from a Brit, that is one brave statement mate. biggrin.gif

You know what our weather's like - I mean, the phrase 'uncertain outlook' must have been invented by a BBC weather-man, and if we did not coin the terms 'raining cats and dogs', 'chucking it down' and 'coming down in sheets' then who did?

I'll bet a fiver happily that, this time next year, the heavens will open, after a protracted drought, and a year's worth of rain will fall in the space of ten days - a deluge of truly Biblical proportions - and we will all be there in Victoria Park, British stoicism to the fore, singing along to Freewill while looking like a load of half-drowned rats. Not that I care - if Rush play High Voltage then it is still an opportunity for me to see my favourite band, so I'm up for it, mud or no mud.

Agreed, however, it is easy for me to be so fatuous because I live in London.

A big production like a rush concert has to be seen in the dark to fully appreciate the show.

To much like a jam session/soundcheck in daylight.