First Time Seeing RUSH

RCMalamutes

So this tour... JUNE 16th in Phoenix was my first time seeing RUSH... and I got to see them with my wife and my 11 year old son (his first concert ever). I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY.

I have seen a lot of concerts in my life, a lot.... but this was hands down in the top three.... if not NUMBER ONE.

Absolutely unbelievable. I will NEVER miss them again.

Some pics of the show that I got on my Phone are available here....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2...24&l=2cd88ba7bf

Truly amazing.

QUOTE (RCMalamutes @ Jun 23 2011, 08:40 PM)
So this tour... JUNE 16th in Phoenix was my first time seeing RUSH... and I got to see them with my wife and my 11 year old son (his first concert ever). I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY.

I have seen a lot of concerts in my life, a lot.... but this was hands down in the top three.... if not NUMBER ONE.

Absolutely unbelievable. I will NEVER miss them again.

Truly amazing.

Welcome to the best club in the world!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (robertrobyn @ Jun 23 2011, 09:49 PM)
So this tour... JUNE 16th in Phoenix was my first time seeing RUSH... and I got to see them with my wife and my 11 year old son (his first concert ever).  I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY.

Absolutely unbelievable.  I will NEVER miss them again.

Truly amazing.

2.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

Totally know how you feel, RC - I finally got around to seeing them last year for the first time, and now it's all I want to do! Plans didn't work out too well this year, but I'm hoping for a do-over next year. In the meantime, welcome to TRF! bekloppt.gif

Welcome! I'm glad you saw them for the first time. They are truly the best live act in the world today. I make it mandatory to go see Rush every time they tour. I saw them for the first time last year and it was a memorable concert that might've not happened because of a hurricane threat that never happened.

I've been a fan for over 3 years, and they were touring for Snakes and Arrows Live when I became a fan and I'm still kicking at myself for deciding passing up on not 1 but 2 shows near my area. But I guess it all worked out because they're playing Moving Pictures live on this tour and the MSG show this year was the best show I've seen period. 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Welcome aboard from another new guy.

I saw them first during RTB tour and they spoiled me for any other concerts!

And I went to a lot of rock shows back in the early eighties.

ohmy.gif

Made sure to see them this time, same result.

Any concert I go to has to be RUSH.

QUOTE (robertrobyn @ Jun 23 2011, 09:49 PM)
So this tour... JUNE 16th in Phoenix was my first time seeing RUSH... and I got to see them with my wife and my 11 year old son (his first concert ever).  I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY.

Absolutely unbelievable.  I will NEVER miss them again.

Truly amazing.

*likes* 2.gif

Welcome to the club!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 2.gif

You're gonna really dig this place...

I'm a newby myself, and I think

it's the best RUSH site..period.

Have a blast navigating around.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm fairly new myself. Both to the forum and to Rush. Been a fan for about 3 years but still a learner! It was my first Rush concert this year as well. 22nd May at Birmingham. It was also the first concert I've been to with my husband and TRF member, Gilby. It was fantastic! Im very glad that you and your family enjoyed yourselves!

2.gif Rocks!

Welcome to the cult.... I mean.... club. ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif

Just kidding. smile.gif I'm glad you had such a great time. They truly are spectacular, aren't they? I saw them both legs of the Time Machine Tour and I was blown away. The first time was my first rock concert ever (I'm 14). That's awesome that your young son got the see the boys as well.

Welcome to the world of Rush and TRF! trink39.gif

trink39.gif 2.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

A couple of things really annoy me about a Rush show:

- Other than a few exceptions, they play note for note exactly what is on the studio version of the album. You don't get that 'holy $@', that really took the music to a higher level type feel.

- They play the same setlist over and over. Once again no pleasant surprises unless it's your first show of the tour and you didn't peek at the setlist. This is the reason I typically only see one show per tour.

However, the music is so damn good that I would never miss a Rush tour. I've been to 13 shows now and have never not had the time of my life.

This tour was the 8th time seeing the band, my first was the "Grace" tour in 1984. Before they came back for Snakes and Arrows, I had a 12 year dry spell between gigs. As usual, a jaw dropping display of talent.

I've been to my fair share of concerts since 1977 and this is a band I can honestly watch every day for a week live. Their shows NEVER disappoint me, no matter what the song selection. I can gripe about selection, but we can't have everything. Just glad to see them perform. Their musicianship is on a level far above anyone else.

Wish I could see more shows during the tour, but can't handle Texas in the summer. Too HOT!!!

Edited by RockWizard

I was at the Phoenix show . . . . . ( vegas too . . )

Excellent ! !

People who like music, rock music especially & have never seen Rush have to be "Blown Away"

Glad you were too !

These 2 part 3+ hour shows they have been doing for 16 years (since 95 TFE) are the BEST ! !

I don't know how many fans I talked to before the show, both Phx & Vegas who didn't know about the NO opening act, ALL Rush format,

this inparticular has got me off my ass & to various other city's to see the spectacular show they produce now-a-days !

2.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 26 2011, 02:47 PM)
A couple of things really annoy me about a Rush show:

- Other than a few exceptions, they play note for note exactly what is on the studio version of the album. You don't get that 'holy $@', that really took the music to a higher level type feel.
- They play the same setlist over and over. Once again no pleasant surprises unless it's your first show of the tour and you didn't peek at the setlist. This is the reason I typically only see one show per tour.

However, the music is so damn good that I would never miss a Rush tour. I've been to 13 shows now and have never not had the time of my life.

I get the jist of what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree...

Red Barchetta had a cool little slowed down arrangement to it coming out of the guitar solo. Closer to the Heart, La Villa, and Working Man also had some cool new arrangements to them. To me, they were all cool little surpises to those songs that really made them work for me. That's just one of the reasons I'm so eager for the DVD....

These days, I'm just glad that they are still out on the road, kickin' it in the ass. I feel hugely lucky when I get to go see Rush. It's been an up and down trip over the years, with just a couple of bummer shows, one in the Caress of Steel tour and the other on the Presto tour. And when you think of it, how many bands can be as consistently good as Rush has been over almost 4 decades? God, I'm getting old!!!